Natural Cake Batter Coloring???

Baking By TheMagicOfLove Updated 9 Feb 2013 , 10:43pm by BakingIrene

TheMagicOfLove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheMagicOfLove Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 10:45pm
post #1 of 13

AOk, Valentine's are coming and i desperatly need some red or pink food coloring... But I cant find it anywhere because of the country I live in, so I need help! How can I naturally die my cake batter pink and red? Pleaseeee help!

12 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 11:03pm
post #2 of 13

try some beet juice

TheMagicOfLove Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 11:04pm
post #3 of 13

AWon't the cake then taste like beets? What about strawberries? Raspberries?

-K8memphis Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 11:05pm
post #4 of 13

try it first

make sure it doesn't go into a blood looking color

AlphaSierra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlphaSierra Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 11:06pm
post #5 of 13

I would say jello, but I don't know if that'd change your desired texture/taste..

-K8memphis Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 11:08pm
post #6 of 13

koolaid koolaid koolaid

do you have that??

dry drink mix for kids???

in little envelopes

add sugar & water

very very colorful stuff!

-K8memphis Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 11:09pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagicOfLove 

Won't the cake then taste like beets? What about strawberries? Raspberries?

not really no

besides we make sugar from beets too

after a lot of refining but...

beets are sweet--would blend into the cake flavor--if it's just for color

TheMagicOfLove Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 9:08am
post #8 of 13

AYeah, the primary thing are the looks, but taste does matter always... Yeah koolaid, don't have it :/ Are U sure that for example, raspberry juice won't blend and color th batter?

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 9:15am
post #9 of 13

Raspberry or strawberry will colour the batter, but you will have to reduce and concentrate it in a saucepan to get some of the water out, otherwise your batter will become too liquid and may not bake the way it usually does.

TheMagicOfLove Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 2:58pm
post #10 of 13

ASo you're saying, just kind'a bake the strawberries or raspberries, letting the water ivapurate, ale make it into a more jamy substance and then add it to the batter, and it will color normaly?

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 7:01pm
post #11 of 13

I meant raspberry or strawberry juice, sorry. But if you are using whole fresh fruit, or frozen come to think of it, puree the whole lot, then put them in a pot on the stove and bring to the boil carefully. Let them simmer a while, until a lot of the water has evaporated from the fruit. You can sieve the puree before putting in the pan if you don't want the seeds in the batter. Bear in mind that this will likely make your batter taste of fruit. The fruit puree won't become jam unless you add sugar into the fruit.

I use frozen strawberry/raspberry fruit purees for flavour, but still have to add red or pink colouring if I need the batter to be a nice colour. Otherwise it can bake up a bit brown. You will need to test with reduced puree before making your final cake. I have no idea how much fruit you would need to get a really pink cake without using colouring, and it depends on what you want your cake to taste like. Where do you live, and why can't you get food colouring there?

TheMagicOfLove Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 7:07pm
post #12 of 13

APoland :) and food coloring is not easy to find here... Ofcourse I can order it three the internet, but it'll take at least a week to deliver, and I need it by wednesday... Besides, food coloring is pure chemicals and to much of that ain't that good :/ so I just wanted to know how to dye it naturally

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 10:43pm
post #13 of 13

Here is a recipe for red cake.  These are the regular kind of beets that you pickle.

For a pink cake, you must use the same total volume of puree.  Use part beet and part cooked apple.

http://www.sophistimom.com/red-velvet-cake-all-natural-no-red-dye/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%