Downton Abbey Cake

Decorating By patty7276 Updated 9 Feb 2013 , 3:04am by ChristineCMC

patty7276 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patty7276 Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 8

am going to attempt a downton abbey cake using ivory fondant tof cover the castle. Pictures of the real castle do not look like stone blocks, rather a smooth surface.  How can I get the aged look/coloring?  Tried practicing, painting brown gel over the fondant and dabbing off but was "too much".  Any suggestions appreciated !

7 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 8

AFood color powders and an assortment of brushes. Poofy ones for larger areas, smaller ones for tight crevices.

patty7276 Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 12:25am
post #3 of 8

ADo you apply them dry?

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 12:31am
post #4 of 8

ADry gives you a more subtle highlight, mix with water and you get a stronger effect, but you can always dab the brush on some dry kitchen paper before skimming the brush over your cake to give a softer highlight: you could google the painting tchnique "dry brushing" it might help you a bit. :)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 12:32am
post #5 of 8

parts of it looks yellow in the pictures i looked up

but for the 'aged' part i'd probably dust like AZCouture says using cocoa powder

but some of the ivory might need to be pretty dark ivory--

yes i'd use the cocoa dry myself

ChristineCMC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineCMC Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 12:47am
post #6 of 8

Oh, I can't wait to see it!

patty7276 Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 1:40am
post #7 of 8

AChristine, don't get too excited. This will be my first castle! Haha. It is for my daughter, a huge Downton fan, and am pretty sure she will be forgiving of any shortcomings. Thanks, all,for the tips! If you have further ideas or suggestions please send them along!

ChristineCMC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineCMC Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 3:04am
post #8 of 8

I've done a few castle cakes for my kids.  They are intimidating, but I love to make them.   Good Luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%