diddlydee Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 10:27am
post #1 of

I've been enjoying the 'price the cakes' lately and I've always been curious about this cake, I saved it last year from CC but can't remember the baker to ask her about it!!

I assume 14,12,10,8,6 maybe 6" each tier?? it looks tall!

I told my bride-to-be you may have any design you like.... almost regretted it! lol. Really happy in the end though :) Hope you like it too!    These were guest photos, I never actually took my own (nut case!) but when I get the photog's one I'll post it here :)    Here are some instructions:   http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-743876.html

23 replies
SugaredSaffron Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 12:41pm
post #2 of

AIt was crazy-gray, he made it for his bride!

Crazy-Gray Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 8:01pm
post #3 of

AHaha that's ma cake! It's fab to see it pop up :) thanks diddlydee :)

It's actually 14,12,10,8 all standard 4" and an 8" styro cone top- funny I never thought about what I'd charge for it!

Diddlydee pm me and ill answer any qs you have!

LadyViola Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 8:12pm
post #4 of

Thats an awesome cake. So Crazy Gray, what would you charge for this beauty?

Crazy-Gray Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 10:30pm
post #5 of

AWell without the family discount I'd clearly offer myself I'd ask £1000

what about anyone else? Lol I feel like it's a test! Did I price my cake right lol!!

-K8memphis Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 10:35pm
post #6 of

you made it for your bride???

awwww--how sweeeet

sniff sniff sniff

it's lovely

LadyViola Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 10:35pm
post #7 of

Haha! I think your price is very fair! :) How many servings is that? (I don't feel like adding up all those tiers, lol)

Crazy-Gray Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 10:41pm
post #8 of

AI had it at 200 as it was dual flavour and figured everyone would want a piece of each!

K8 lol there were tears of a different kind shed in the making.... But I wiped them off before they left a mark....

DeliciousDesserts Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 11:13pm
post #9 of

AIt is really beautiful. Seriously.

I'm very interested in the technique. Did you wrap fondant strips? Did you have to decorate on site?

IF I was able to decipher the technique & I it similar to what I think, $1275

cakestomuch Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 11:20pm

Very beautiful. How do you cut something like that? 

Annabakescakes Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 11:20pm

A

Original message sent by Crazy-Gray

I had it at 200 as it was dual flavour and figured everyone would want a piece of each!

K8 lol there were tears of a different kind shed in the making.... But I wiped them off before they left a mark....

I bet there was! ....wait...you're a guy? I need to show your cakes to my husband. I am trying to get him to start caking with me. I know we can make 3 times what he makes at his job if we work together, but he thinks it is unmanly. Even after seeing Buddy and Mauro, and Duff and them...

And I would probably charge about $1000, based on the 200 serving count.

Crazy-Gray Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 11:59pm

During the planning i was really fretting about transporting it as i couldnt work out a way to build in a seperation... So i went for transport in one piece; stacked, shaped (which was way harder than i thought it would be) double layer whipped ganach, a thin covering in white fondant to seal it then wound 3" wide strips of modeling choc one at a time from bottom to top. If you google "CC how do i make this amazing wedding cake" you should find my post asking for help and then some tips :)

it was a thick covering but it transported fine though took some muscles to cut!! We've a great pic of the surprise on my face at how tough it was!

I had it that every 4 roses a new tier started so it was easy for the caterer to disassemble :) 

and you tell that hubby that it takes more manliness to do something you perceive as unmanly than it takes to run from it!

DeliciousDesserts Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 12:13am

A

Original message sent by cakestomuch

Very beautiful. How do you cut something like that? 

With a knife.

**giggle**

DeliciousDesserts Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 12:13am

A

Original message sent by Crazy-Gray

and you tell that hubby that it takes more manliness to do something you perceive as unmanly than it takes to run from it!

trebakes Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 12:28am

My son is a 6'6" woman chasing retired Marine core gunnery sgt who bakes and decorates cakes. He was the first person that I saw decorate a cake from beginning to end (he even piped roses and leaves). Real men bake and decorate party.gif

Crazy-Gray Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 12:33am

A" Real men bake and decorate"

Thats going on my gravestone........ Including the wee party smiley!

kikiandkyle Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 1:45am

AMy husband would make a great caker too, he picked up the Wilton rose on the first attempt, which infuriated me!

How lovely of you crazy-gray to make that wonderful cake for your wife!

Annabakescakes Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 2:15am

AI showed this thread and your cakes to my husband and he says,"I never thought that!" Lol, he certainly did, but I guess he just changed his mind ;-)

He is left handed, so it is really hard for me to show him things. I was thinking that I could pull the table out from the wall, and get across from him so it would be "mirrored" and easier to follow what I do.

He can smooth a cake pretty well, and torte, fill and stack, but we would really have to work on most decorating. He did go to art school, but it was 11 years before I met him, before he got sober, and he can't even remember it... It was 18 years ago, too. He has a natural art ability though and can see every mistake, which really helps so you don't give out cakes that look like a child made them :-D I am sure he could be good, and progress faster than i did.

vgcea Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 3:00am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

I showed this thread and your cakes to my husband and he says,"I never thought that!" Lol, he certainly did, but I guess he just changed his mind icon_wink.gif

He is left handed, so it is really hard for me to show him things. I was thinking that I could pull the table out from the wall, and get across from him so it would be "mirrored" and easier to follow what I do.

He can smooth a cake pretty well, and torte, fill and stack, but we would really have to work on most decorating. He did go to art school, but it was 11 years before I met him, before he got sober, and he can't even remember it... It was 18 years ago, too. He has a natural art ability though and can see every mistake, which really helps so you don't give out cakes that look like a child made them icon_biggrin.gif I am sure he could be good, and progress faster than i did.

This had me howling! Thanks for a great laugh.

Annabakescakes Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 3:29am

you're welcome ;-) no shame, it was a long time ago thumbs_up.gif And he was a happy, fun drunk. 

AZCouture Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 5:44am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

you're welcome ;-) no shame, it was a long time ago thumbs_up.gif And he was a happy, fun drunk. 

Not mine. Ugh.icon_mad.gif

trebakes Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 3:00pm

Crazy-Gray, I'm glad you liked my little saying. A man can cook/bake for me any time :)

Texan Aunt Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 3:27pm

Haha! This is so funny because my older brother could be a great decorator....if he wanted. He has whipped out a fondant rose in under 5 minutes (on a dare)  without me helping him any, granted it was more like a cabbage rose but I would almost have put in on one of my cakes. He is very useful when I'm figuring out a cake support structure because he's really good at building things, so I have an living, slightly responsive being that I can talk at to feel better about my support structure!!!icon_biggrin.gif

lilsma412 Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 3:48pm

Wow! very impressive, love it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%