Help On Poker Chip Stack

Decorating By shebaben Updated 13 Feb 2013 , 4:17am by shebaben

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 5:25am
post #1 of 22

I've looked at every cake in the galleries of poker chips and stacked poker chips but I still have questions!  I have a groom's cake in two weeks; he showed me a pic on his phone of a stacked chip cake but I can't get that actual picture. I know he wants all the colors and 4 or 5 chips in the stack. The cake is to be amaretto w/amaretto buttercream.  NOW: (1) All the impressive cakes in the galleries must be fondant to look so good. They do not want fondant. How can I do it with BC? I might get by w/fondant accents. (2) A couple of the cakes are "spread out" rather than stacked chips. (Can't figure out how to add gallery photo here to show...) I think they would love that - but how do you lay them out like that without having them cave in or slip?   Thanks so much, CC friends! You always come throough with great answers!  PAT

21 replies
Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 5:29am
post #2 of 22

AYou can't make poker chips without fondant or gumpaste. That thing would be on CakeWrecks in a week! I made one last week and used tylose to harden the gumpaste, let them dry, then stacked them. [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2915857/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Annabakescakes Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 5:31am
post #3 of 22

AIt is buttercream with fondant accents, and some edible images for the cards and the hearts, diamonds, clubs and spades on the sides.

renettabarrett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renettabarrett Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 6:44am
post #4 of 22

fondant or gumpaste are must

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 1:10pm
post #5 of 22

AI think shebaben means the cake is a giant stack of poker chips.

Annabakescakes Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 4:40pm
post #6 of 22

A

Original message sent by DeliciousDesserts

I think shebaben means the cake is a giant stack of poker chips.

Oh, I think you're right :oops: the spread out chips are individual cakes, on their own board, and covered in fondant.

If you are a real good smoother, you may be able to cover the sides of the cake really thickly with buttercream, then indent it where the chips would touch. If you look to the right of my cake in the picture, you will see a white thing sort of upside down T shaped. It is a Wilton tool that has adjustable prongs on it that you use to mark the cake sides, and keep it even. So, if you have an 8" cake, 4" high, set the prongs at 1",2",3" and set it next to the cake, then turn the cake, and you will have indents to show you where each chip starts and stops. You could color each one, then smooth it and add the little white pieces of fondant to them, like the chips have white bits on their edges.

I would say more, but I "wing" all my cakes.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 6:07pm
post #7 of 22

I did a google image search for stacked poker chip cakes, and the single one that is done in buttercream doesn't look anywhere near as real as the fondant ones. Sometimes I think clients just need to realize that they can't have a cake that relies on fondant for its look so much without having fondant. Peel it off if you really don't want to eat it! 

Annabakescakes Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 6:11pm
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 

I did a google image search for stacked poker chip cakes, and the single one that is done in buttercream doesn't look anywhere near as real as the fondant ones. Sometimes I think clients just need to realize that they can't have a cake that relies on fondant for its look so much without having fondant. Peel it off if you really don't want to eat it! 

I completely agree, but I was wondering if it was a budget issue. 

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 6:15pm
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 

Yep. There should be just as much butter cream underneath anyways, so there really is nothing for them to complain about.

shebaben Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 12:03am
post #10 of 22

I agree with all of you - can't be done well without fondant! I'm going to make some small fondant poker chips tonight and take them to the family tomoorrow so they can taste and see that MMF can be good!  I'm hoping that the amaretto buttercream between layers and under the fondant will be sufficient amaretto flavor...Thanks for all your suggestions - will let you know how it all turns out.

shebaben Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 5:15am
post #11 of 22

Good news - they like the idea and said the fondant tasted delicious! Now I just have to execute the plan!!! I'll probably ask for more advice as I go along. Thanks again.

Annabakescakes Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 5:31am
post #12 of 22

AYay! It really needs to be fondant.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 5:43am
post #13 of 22

Yay! Glad they were willing to give it a shot!

shebaben Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 6:06am
post #14 of 22

I'll try to post a pic when it's done.  Now I just have to match the deep burgundy of the bridesmaids' dresses....it's taking lots of trial and error! Thanks again for your help!

SonyaE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mochazina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mochazina Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 8:21pm
post #16 of 22

i'm relatively new to the "super decorations", but wouldn't rolled buttercream work?  it's technically not fondant...  shhh.gif

shebaben Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 2:42am
post #17 of 22

That's a fantastic cake!!!! Are the cards gumpaste??? Thanks for posting it.

shebaben Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 2:44am
post #18 of 22

@Mochazine - That's an idea to explore...thaks for suggesting it!

SonyaE Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 2:59pm
post #19 of 22

AThanks! It was my first cake ever! The cards are made out of fondant and you can order the actual images of the face cards ( king, queen, jack) as candy sheets to use... Which I unfortunately found out too late!

shebaben Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 5:08pm
post #20 of 22

What source have you found to order the actual images of the cards??

shebaben Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 4:17am
post #22 of 22

Thanks...I've never ordered from either of these places, but have looked at several items on the Fancy Flours site.  Saving these...PAT

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%