Best Frosting Sheets For Printing And Ink?

Decorating By cookie smalls Updated 3 Apr 2013 , 11:35pm by Annabakescakes

cookie smalls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie smalls Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 9:28pm
post #1 of 36

wtih so many options could someone with an edible printer point me in the right direction as to which frosting sheets are the best and ink cartirdges without breaking my pockets?!?! I am in the process of finally ordering one but would like some feedback form folks who have a printer. Greatly appreciated!

35 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 12:29am
post #2 of 36

Remember that you have to start with a brand new printer that has never had regular ink loaded into it.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 1:14pm
post #3 of 36

Let me start by saying, we sell edible printers and edible supplies. We recommend Canon printers for edible printing. Specifically the Canon mg5320. It has the best success ratio of all edible pritners on the market. My job is to break things and make them work and figure out better ways our products will work. You can purchase the printer on your own and then purchase the supplies seperately. This is the least expensive ways to get in to an edible printing system. While you do not get an edible printer warrenty, if you use a reputable companies product, you will get assistance when you need it.

Paper and supplies. We sell three brands of icing sheets with our Icing Images Premium Brand of Icing Sheets. They by far are our biggest seller and work great with all mediums of sugar art. They are a favorite amount the isomalt leaders so they can withstand the high heat as work wonderfully with regular use. Edible Paper Art is a new line in cake decorating and they are a favorite as well. THe sheets are a bit thicker and so they do not dry out and crack as quickly as other brands nor are they hard to get off the backing in high humid conditions. They are known as the flexible sheet!

Inks...several brands to choose from. Ours have a sponge free inner tank which allow for maximum use of ink and they are refillable directly in the printer. The colors are sharp and they sustain their colors rather than changing colors after a day on the icing sheet.

Service, I would recommend that you call a few places. Service is very important when you are buying your printer on your own.  You want a company that is nice and friendly but also is very knowledgable about the product adn is there for you when you need them. You also want a company that ships quickly so you can receive your product in a timely manner.

I hope all of this is helpful to you. I will be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Thanks and happy decorating!

cookie smalls Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 36

Baking Irlene yes aware of that after doing some research its actually cheaper buying the printer, paper and ink separately.

cookie smalls Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 4:26pm
post #5 of 36

Debbie-

Thank you so much for all the information very helpful!!!! Your site requires payment information to be saved on your site before purchasing? Do you except paypal?

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 5:18pm
post #6 of 36

I purchased my printer on ebay but I buy the icing sheets and inks from icing images. Yes they can save your account info but I'm not too sure about accepting Paypal. I love their products and their customer service is outstanding!

cookie smalls Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 5:50pm
post #7 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by doramoreno62 

I purchased my printer on ebay but I buy the icing sheets and inks from icing images. Yes they can save your account info but I'm not too sure about accepting Paypal. I love their products and their customer service is outstanding!

which printer do you have?

icingimages Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 12:44am
post #8 of 36

Yes we do accept paypal. you can select other, put the instructions you wish us to send an invoice to for paypal in the info section.  If you do want to create an accoutn with out payment info, simply select other and in the notes section state that you will provide when you place the order. Go ahead and shop but make sure you go back and enter in your credit card info prior to placing the order, otherwise it delays the shipment of your order.

Thanks!

doramoreno62 Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 4:17am
post #9 of 36

AI have a Canon IP 3600 that I bought on eBay for around $70. Pm me if you want the vendor info.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 6:35am
post #10 of 36

A

Original message sent by doramoreno62

I have a Canon IP 3600 that I bought on eBay for around $70. Pm me if you want the vendor info.

Does your printer require chips on the cartridges?

doramoreno62 Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 7:19am
post #11 of 36

No chips required! And you can refill the cartridges while they are in the printer up to 3 times. After that, you have to buy new cartridges.

Annabakescakes Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 7:54am
post #12 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by doramoreno62 

No chips required! And you can refill the cartridges while they are in the printer up to 3 times. After that, you have to buy new cartridges.

I just checked it out on Amazon, but I need one that has a scanner :-(

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 11:21am
post #13 of 36

I've tried several brands of ink and paper and icingimages has the best quality for both.  Gold label inks and premium frosting sheets.  You get the best color with their ink and their sheets come off the backing beautifully.  I've had so much trouble with other sheets I finally just threw them away.  Their customer service can't be beat!  You might save a little money with other brands/suppliers but it wont be worth it in the end.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 1:26pm
post #14 of 36

AHuge fan of icing images. I use their ink & electronic cutter sheets.

cookie smalls Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 3:14am
post #15 of 36

AThank you I plan to order VERY soon!

icingimages Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 5:17pm
post #16 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

Does your printer require chips on the cartridges?

Hi,

The ip3600 already has chips installed on the cartridges. All newer printers require chips these days.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 7:08pm
post #17 of 36

<grouse>

Yes. The manufacturers can't or won't provide sufficiently better inks/toners than 3rd party cartridges and/or refill kits without charging through the nose, and won't charge enough for the printers to recover their costs ("razor-and-blades" business model), so they cheat, and throw up deliberate obstacles to block 3rd party cartridges and refill kits.

Then again, if the manufacturers didn't use a razor-and-blades model, inkjet printers wouldn't be nearly so popular.

And people wonder why I don't allow inkjet printers in the house, gladly outsource things like edible printing and direct-to-optical-media printing, and own 2 laser printers and an old Microdry (which will hopefully hold together until I use up the last of my ribbons)

</grouse>

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 7:39pm
post #18 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl 

<grouse>

Yes. The manufacturers can't or won't provide sufficiently better inks/toners than 3rd party cartridges and/or refill kits without charging through the nose, and won't charge enough for the printers to recover their costs ("razor-and-blades" business model), so they cheat, and throw up deliberate obstacles to block 3rd party cartridges and refill kits.

Well there are smart people who have found their way around those obstacles.

I have been printing photographic catalogues since 2006 with Epson using a wonderful device called a "continuous ink system".  The cartridges refill themselves with  high quality ink that sits in a 4 ounce reservoir.  When you pay for the best ink on the market, the thing works fine year after year without any inky fingers or fuss.  

I bought the "chip reset" software for the printer and I use a waste bottle instead of the OEM ink pad...that's all the maintenance required.  I can't imagine high quality printing any other way.  

OK so all we need to do is sort out a way for the CIS to be food grade, for those who need to print many sheets on a regular basis.

Annabakescakes Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 7:41pm
post #19 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingimages 

Hi,

The ip3600 already has chips installed on the cartridges. All newer printers require chips these days.

Do you still sell chip-less cartridges? 

icingimages Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 4:04am
post #20 of 36

Hi Anna,

There are no chipless cartridges any more. There are some very old models that do not require the chip, but because of the age of the printer, even if you find a unused one, you will have so many problems.  The chips really are not a problem these days. Once in a while you run in to a bad chip, but you are talking about a very small amount. We sell thousands of cartrdiges and have very few problems.

I hope this helps
Deb

Annabakescakes Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 6:00am
post #21 of 36

I bought some "automatic resetting" chips since that post, and have found them to be amazing! I melted your chips off the cartridges, put the automatic ones on, secured with a dot of hot glue and was able to print like new again! I am thrilled to pieces. They were about $3 each, after shipping, and saved me $48 for new cartridges or a new printer plus new cartridges since there isn't a darn thing wrong with the one I have, I don't care how old it is! It was bought new, in the box, and prints wonderful images, as long as the chips aren't messed up. And it could've just been a single chip I had a problem with, but the way the canon is set up, it won't do a thing if there is one bad chip! You can't even print black text if your yellow is out! I use an HP, in the house, and I can install an empty, dried out color cartridge, and have it print in black, as long as there is black in there... I wish they sold fresh, empty cartridges I could fill with edible ink, because that is more honest, in my book!

icingimages Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 2:25pm
post #22 of 36

Hey everyone...I just want to put it out there that we are going to be introducing a brand new cake decorating product at the Virginia National Capital Area Cake Show NCACS....I cant tel you what it is but it is a very cool item!!!!

icingimages Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 5:35pm
post #23 of 36

I am expecting new versions of the Icing Images Premium Icing Sheets late this month!!! Watch for that and another ground breaking product that we will debut at the National Capital Area Cake show in April!!!

sfandm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sfandm Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 7:01pm
post #24 of 36

Purchased my icing sheets and ink from Debbie this am, very helpful, awesomely nice lady to deal with. I can't wait till I get my order.

icingimages Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 12:22pm
post #25 of 36

Hey Anna,

Even though your cartridges can be used over and over and over again, one of the reasons we recommend new cartrdiges is because you cannot clean inside your cartridge. Over time, ink will build up and start to crystalize. This will eventually cause bad clogging in your printer. Sort of like reusing a water bottle, it still gets dirty on the inside and eventually because you cannot clean it, you have to replace it. Our cartridges can be refilled over and over and the chip resets just by clicking it in and out after refilling, but...we still recommend you replace them about every three refills. Best of luck, I am glad it worked for you!

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 5:27pm
post #26 of 36

Hmm. You can clean a water bottle by dropping a denture cleanser tablet in it, and letting it effervesce itself clean. (I've done it with my Mystic, CT souvenir water bottle.) Not sure if that would work with an inkjet cartridge, though: they might have passages too small for denture cleanser to be effective. Or so small that the denture cleanser itself might cause clogs. Flushing with distilled water might be an option.

Annabakescakes Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 6:07pm
post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingimages 

Hey Anna,

Even though your cartridges can be used over and over and over again, one of the reasons we recommend new cartrdiges is because you cannot clean inside your cartridge. Over time, ink will build up and start to crystalize. This will eventually cause bad clogging in your printer. Sort of like reusing a water bottle, it still gets dirty on the inside and eventually because you cannot clean it, you have to replace it. Our cartridges can be refilled over and over and the chip resets just by clicking it in and out after refilling, but...we still recommend you replace them about every three refills. Best of luck, I am glad it worked for you!

I do plan on replacing after I refill them one more time, it was just so damn frustrating to only be able to use them once. I only print about once or twice a week, usually small images, just a little ink. I can't justify buying new carts every 2 months. That would cost a mint! As much fun as it is to buy new cake toys, I do like to have some money left for licensing, insurance and permits.

Tasty FotoArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tasty FotoArt Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 6:13pm
post #28 of 36

Hi James  It is not necessary to clean or flush our cartridges with our ink.  We use, and test, ink cartridges 2 years old and we have no problems at all.  Furthermore, because of the formulation of our ink, bacteria and virus cannot grow on the ink or cartridge.  We have been doing this for 27 years. 

Wes

Tastyfotoart.com

eyislesgeof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eyislesgeof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%