A Custom Cake For 7 People?

Decorating By LadyViola Updated 7 Feb 2013 , 5:24pm by Relznik

LadyViola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyViola Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 4:22am
post #1 of 12

When I first started selling cakes, I did not specify a minimum order requirement, but I learned quickly.  Anyway, I had a lady contact me yesterday about getting a 3D purse cake done. I told her the price, and she said "Oh, I only need enough for 7 people." icon_rolleyes.gif I guess she was hoping that would effect the price. Uh no. I have a 25 serving minimum. How would I even begin to measure out ingredients for 7 people? I politely told her I have a minimum order of 25 servings (which is also posted on my website and on my facebook page).

Anyway, what are some strange or unusual serving amounts people have asked you to bake? Do you have a serving minimum?

11 replies
Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 5:39am
post #2 of 12

Sure I'll do a custom cake for seven peeps, but it is going to cost just as much or even more than my minimum requiremnt - small cakes are so fiddly.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 5:41am
post #3 of 12

You mean you're not going to bake the whole cake, then just cut 7 slices and charge her for those?!

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 6:00am
post #4 of 12

Hmm. 7 people. And a minimum of 25 "standard size" servings. Seems to me that they can have a large serving size, and still have plenty of leftovers. I can't see as how that would be anything to complain about. Hell, I was a bit disappointed that my Leland Awards cake ended up producing small servings with no leftovers. Disappointed enough that I might consider doing a matching "kitchen cake" this year.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 7:50am
post #5 of 12

I was once asked for a cake for two people.

I felt like telling him to get a cupcake and a knife to cut it in half!!!  (oh, but my minimum cupcake order is a dozen, and then by the half-dozen thereafter!)

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 8:06am
post #6 of 12

Several years ago, before by cake balls started coming in, I did a 3 tier cake for 12 people. I think it is in my pics, lol. Lavender old-school style with white piping. I think I charged $50. (Before I knew it was illegal in my state, and before I had the commercial kitchen)

ElenasCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElenasCake Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 11:58am
post #7 of 12

;:)

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 12:13pm
post #8 of 12

I got a request for a two serving cake once too lol!

Once I was asked to make a savoury cake - which I looked into and trialled out of interest but the price put them off lol.

And once I was asked to make a cake for people who didn't like/want cake- does that count as zero servings?? - they just wanted to present a pretty cake with candles but not eat it! apparently It would 'save money not to have to work so hard on making it taste good'..... I wonder if there's something 'special; about northern Ireland!

melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 12:52pm
post #9 of 12

I have an order for 4 servings for next week.

They get a 6 inch cake, and they pay for for 8 ( party size ) servings. I felt a 4 inch would have left a bit to be desired. 

I don't have a minimum, unless I'm busy, then I may refer something this small to another legal home baker in my area.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 2:32pm
post #10 of 12

My website lists my price at $3 per serving.  BUT, I have a $50 minimum order which will get you an 8" round.

When people tell me they only need a cake for 10 or 12 people I think they are hoping that the cake will only be $30 or $36.  I tell them that's the smallest size I make unless it's part of a tiered cake.  They can either cut really big slices or have leftovers. 

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 2:53pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
They can either cut really big slices or have leftovers

You just reminded me how my little brother served his 21st birthday cake; he cut his 8" round into 7 pieces, walked into a room of 20 (one monster slice in hand) and proclaimed "Cake's cut, get some while you can it'll go quick"!!!! ...sometimes I'm sure I'm adopted!

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 5:24pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Gray 

You just reminded me how my little brother served his 21st birthday cake; he cut his 8" round into 7 pieces, walked into a room of 20 (one monster slice in hand) and proclaimed "Cake's cut, get some while you can it'll go quick"!!!! ...sometimes I'm sure I'm adopted!

LOL!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%