Maryland Law

Business By Sassyzan Updated 7 Feb 2013 , 4:53am by Sassyzan

Sassyzan Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 1:33am
post #1 of 8

AI was trying to find info about doing a bake sale and came upon this info: I was under the impression that Maryland does not have a cottage food law, and other info I've read seemed to indicate that the exemptions were only or farmers. This would not seem to be the case. Can more astute readers confirm that thus says non-potentially hazardous home baked goods can be sold at farmers markets? This is too good to be true. It would also explain some of the foodstuffs I've seen at farmers markets around town...

Anyone know about this?

7 replies
jason_kraft Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 3:39am
post #2 of 8

AMD did pass a limited cottage food law last year, sales are restricted to farmer's markets and public events only.

Sassyzan Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 3:56am
post #3 of 8

AThanks for the info! I figured you'd know. :)

Sassyzan Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 4:11am
post #4 of 8 your reading of this, do you think it would be legit to take special orders at a farmers market? If the transaction takes place at the market, that is technically selling at the market, right? I will have to read more about this. Any md bakers taking advantage of this new law yet? I heard something was going in front of the legislature but I didn't follow up with the results.

jason_kraft Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 4:23am
post #5 of 8

AThe bill was specifically amended from "food sold by a cottage food business" to "food sold at a farmer's market or public event" (21-301(B-2)) so I'm pretty sure that means you are only allowed to complete transactions at a farmer's market or event, not sell directly to customers from your home (even if the order is taken at the event).

Sassyzan Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 4:34am
post #6 of 8

ADoes "public event" roughly translate as "bake sale"? So for example, if a church is selling vendor spaces for a flea market or something, would that constitute a public event? Also things like street festivals and such, I'm guessing? Hope you don't mind me mining your expertise. Lord knows who I'd find in b-more city to answer these questions.

jason_kraft Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 4:42am
post #7 of 8

AAs far as I can tell the law never defines "public event", so presumably any event that is open to the public would qualify. There may be additional permits required for public events though at the city or county level.

The MD dept of health would probably be able to give you a more precise answer.

Sassyzan Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 4:53am
post #8 of 8


Quote by @%username% on %date%