Price The Cake!

Business By LadyViola Updated 6 May 2014 , 1:44am by SystemMod1

lucianna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lucianna Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 3:42am
post #151 of 254

AI am familiar with the situation with the bride who got that cake. NO she was very upset about the cake. It was not at all what she was supposed to get and the cake was delivered over 2 hours late and she dropped that cake off do fast no one at the hall saw her. The colors were wrong but so was the rest of the cake. One of the tiers was not even stacked she sat it behind the cake because it was so unlevel it would have fell over. She never answered the brides calls but finally she text her and said she would give her a refund. The bride did say the cake was delicious though.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 6:02pm
post #152 of 254

A

Original message sent by lucianna

I am familiar with the situation with the bride who got that cake. NO she was very upset about the cake. It was not at all what she was supposed to get and the cake was delivered over 2 hours late and she dropped that cake off do fast no one at the hall saw her. The colors were wrong but so was the rest of the cake. One of the tiers was not even stacked she sat it behind the cake because it was so unlevel it would have fell over. She never answered the brides calls but finally she text her and said she would give her a refund. The bride did say the cake was delicious though.

Wow! Thank you so much for the update. I have to really ham it to that bride. She really held herself with grace. The photos were just beautiful. Kudos to her for not making a vig scene.

Seriously, our heart goes out to her. Breaks my heart when brides don't get what they are expecting. Not fair!

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 8:37pm
post #153 of 254

I am cheap/thrifty, whatever you want to call it.  But the sayings...you get what you pay for, and if sounds too good to be true-it usually is...have been around for a long, long time for a reason.  We don't know what design changes the bride made from the original cake and she says she had made some design changes.  So we don't know how close or different the actual cake was from the planned design.  Yes, there were some significant execution flaws in the design and the baker did not make a nicely finished cake.  But when you order something and agree to pay such a small amount, you really shouldn't be surprised when there are some issues with it. 

lucianna Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 11:02pm
post #154 of 254

I wish that the bride would have done an update because this girl is still ruining people's events because no one shares there experiences enough about her. I know she doesn't have any of her wrecks on her website or on her FB page because I have checked but I have had so many people complain to me about her. I just think that is so wrong. But if you look at her work that's on there I would have never believed she could do that cake anyway.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 11:09pm
post #155 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucianna 

I wish that the bride would have done an update because this girl is still ruining people's events because no one shares there experiences enough about her. I know she doesn't have any of her wrecks on her website or on her FB page because I have checked but I have had so many people complain to me about her. I just think that is so wrong. But if you look at her work that's on there I would have never believed she could do that cake anyway.

How can she be posting perfect cakes on her website, and turning out wrecks.  Is she actually posting photos of her own work on her website?  Or are her posted cakes less complex and less in danger of turning into wrecks?

lucianna Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 11:15pm
post #156 of 254

I was so tempted to post the bakers website! Lol

DeliciousDesserts Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 11:17pm
post #157 of 254

A

I wish that the bride would have done an update because this girl is still ruining people's events because no one shares there experiences enough about her.

So agree!

DeliciousDesserts Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 11:18pm
post #158 of 254

A

But if you look at her work that's on there I would have never believed she could do that cake anyway.

I'm always amazed when people see examples & still don't recognize someone isn't capable.

lucianna Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 11:29pm
post #159 of 254

This is a cake from her website 

lucianna Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 11:31pm
post #160 of 254

There is not one wedding cake on there or that looks like it could be.

Carrie789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carrie789 Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 11:42pm
post #161 of 254

If it tasted like it looked, she got her $340 worth.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 11:55pm
post #162 of 254

Oh my!  THAT'S an example on her website and people still order from her???  That's pathetic. If that's the case, then I feel no remorse from anyone who orders from her!  They are being overcharged in my estimation.  My husband could make a nicer one!  (not being ***ist...my husband just has no kitchen skills--but then I'd put him on par with this baker any day!)

lucianna Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 12:10am
post #163 of 254

I this is from her Instagram 

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 12:33am
post #164 of 254

AWow. Icant believe someone would order a cake from her and expect any semblance of the perfection that was in the inspiration picture.

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 12:35am
post #165 of 254

AThe cake[B]stress[/B]...

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 12:57am
post #166 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmPamCakes 

Wow. Icant believe someone would order a cake from her and expect any semblance of the perfection that was in the inspiration picture.

I can't either. Honestly I think that the wedding cake she made was right on par with her other cakes. So where's the big surprise?

If whomever orders a cake from this person, sees her 'portfolio' then how  could they be surprised when they get a jacked up looking cake?!

only if she's showing cakes that are not hers..but these two examples look like the exact same level of skill as the wedding cake.

ps- I do feel sorry about the story with the bride- she should update her wedding blog so people realize you can't get a $2000 wedding cake for $340...or at least show you what you do get for that amount. 

Embles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Embles Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 1:20am
post #167 of 254

AFinding this thread really interesting guys, I especially liked the breakdown of codts for each section of the cake. Im in uk and work alone and found all the pricing comments really helpful thank youxxx bloody awful cake though poor bride.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 2:23am
post #168 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by manddi 

The cakestress...

Not to be confused with....caketresstapedshut.gif

pbuder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbuder Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 3:45pm
post #169 of 254

I too have enjoyed seeing the breakdown from Jen. I didn't really see all the details that she broke down. Gave me new insight in things to consider for my own timing when I am doing my cakes. 

I am just a hobby baker and do this for friends and family. I would be embarressed to deliver that cake to a bride. I just did a single book cake for a friend's daughter and normally I do the cover/smooth method on my fondant but this time I did the spine seperate of the cover but I spent almost an hour smoothing out seam and hiding it so it looked natural. I only let him give me enough money to cover the cost of materials but not to cover my time and I still stressed over every little flaw I saw in it. They all loved it but I still would never have charged for it because it was so full of mistakes.

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 4:58am
post #170 of 254

FromScratchSF

Very nice job on the break down of cost.

The cake in the opening post is drop dead gorgeous.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 5:18am
post #171 of 254

A

Original message sent by manddi

The cake[B]stress[/B]...

Original message sent by AZCouture

Not to be confused with....cake[I][B]tress[/B][/I]? :-X

hahaha! I think it is a very apt name for her, since her price, then that cake has stressed us all out.

clarabel11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clarabel11 Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 8:41am
post #172 of 254

ADeleted my post Sigh......

Carrie789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carrie789 Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 9:11am
post #173 of 254

Cool your jets, Clarabel. I, for one, was not making fun of the cake. I was horrified for the bride. I get upset when people promise what they can't deliver. It reflects badly on all of us, and I am glad she has been exposed. Do you think the bride and her friends didn't notice what a crap cake she got? She went ahead and published the picture on a public site, so I doubt this is the only site that linked to it. Somebody has probably already sent it to Cakewrecks for the "This is what they asked for, this is what they got," articles.

Edward32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edward32 Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 10:09am
post #174 of 254

Nice cake... I must say the price will be $350 or more than it because it is such a nice cake and there will me hard work in making this cake. It is really beautiful and must be for a girl's birthday.

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 12:04pm
post #175 of 254

A

Original message sent by Edward32

Nice cake... I must say the price will be $350 or more than it because it is such a nice cake and there will me hard work in making this cake. It is really beautiful and must be for a girl's birthday.

To which cake are you referring?

Jamber99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamber99 Posted 1 Jun 2013 , 8:36am
post #176 of 254

Wow I'm so jealous of your ladies prices!!! I just got on here after years away (started a new account) and was searching for cake prices etc.

I'm in central Nebraska, been selling cakes for 11 years and I am a certified Chef. I charge $3.50/serving for basic cake with fondant and people cringe!!!!

My wedding cake prices are $2.50 with plain flavors vanilla/chocolate & buttercream adding .20 for fillings or gourmet flavors etc. I have had 2 people last month think I was over priced!!! People will drive 30 min to the closest Walmart to save $50 bucks on crap cake. How do you ladies get through to people???

Jamber99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamber99 Posted 1 Jun 2013 , 9:08am
post #177 of 254

And about the original cake posted....you have to remember some people are born with an eye for art....some people train their whole lives trying to be artists and they just don't "get it" because they don't have an eye for it. I think it's a lot like being a tone deaf singer?!  That lady obviously has no talent and no eye for cake art!!!! Which is sickening that friends and family and strange customers will keep complimenting her on subpar work as if it is a showcase!

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 1 Jun 2013 , 12:16pm
post #178 of 254

Classic example of you get what you pay for. 

shake n cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shake n cake Posted 1 Jun 2013 , 5:09pm
post #179 of 254

I agree with Jamber99, there are obviously people telling her that her cakes are worthy of a successful business, otherwise she probably wouldn't be doing it. It's unfortunate that none of her friends and family have told her to either spend more time practicing and taking classes, or just not to enter the field at all. One day a customer who orders the cake shown here by the OP, and receives the $340 version is going to be really upset, and that will be the way she has to learn I guess. It seems now people who watch a couple of Youtube videos feel they have enough talent to start a business. Although sometimes people are naturally talented and that is all they need (rare), the majority people are nowhere near ready to be selling what they produce. End rant icon_biggrin.gif

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 11:14pm
post #180 of 254

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm..............????????????????/.................ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ok, Denise if you can't find something nice to say, don't say anything at all........Ok..................sigh..................................well, it certainly is bright.  :-)  But I'm not seeing the simularity.  :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%