Price The Cake!

Business By LadyViola Updated 6 May 2014 , 1:44am by SystemMod1

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 2:42pm
post #91 of 254

A

Original message sent by DeliciousDesserts

While I feel for her (if in fact she was disappointed in her cake), I still hold firm that she is doing a huge disservice in misguiding the other members of that site.

They read her post & assume they too will be able to get that big beautiful cake for $340.  

Facts remain she either purposefully mislead all the readers, knowing she was getting a smaller cake, or she neglected to correct the misinformation.  Her happiness, quite frankly, is irrelevant.  

That's probably it. Yea, I'm getting a similar cake, but I don't need that many servings, and my budget sucks. Something like that. :D

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 3:48pm
post #92 of 254

swank cake design* the designers of the original cake say that:

they include two hours of decorating time into their base fondant price of $5.50 per

then they are $50 an hour for decorating time over the two hours

according to their website

*and they definitely have some swank in the original cake!!!

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 4:32pm
post #93 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaKinVA 

I am just stunned by the $340 cake...stunned.  My wedding cake was $250 and it looked so much better than that.  Of course, it was a nothing-fancy-tastes AWESOME cake.

"nothing fancy, tastes awesome, cakes" now THAT is what i should have named my bakery!!

-K8memphis Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 4:45pm
post #94 of 254

i hope that when/if the people that made the 3-tier cake and the bride and the families find this thread they take a minute to read here

i hope their feelings are not hurt by this comparison fiasco shameful roller coaster ride thread

so sorry this jr high judgment thing happened to your cake/wedding pictures

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 4:55pm
post #95 of 254

And maybe the price of the cake was so low because the baker knew her cake would not be on par with the cake in the sample picture.  Perhaps bride and baker discussed this in advance...

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 5:08pm
post #96 of 254

A

Original message sent by Jeannem

And maybe the price of the cake was so low because the baker knew her cake would not be on par with the cake in the sample picture.  Perhaps bride and baker discussed this in advance...

And perhaps they didn't and it was a surprise to her that it didn't look anything like it. It is impossible to know. I suppose we'll know if one of them gets on here and tells us, but right now everyone is speculating. But someone did someone else dirty! Either the bride saying she was getting that cake for $340, or the baker saying she could do a cake anything like the original, and either way, it perpetuated the myth that you should get a good, cheap cake, and not pay the baker for their time.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 5:46pm
post #97 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

A But someone did someone else dirty! Either the bride saying she was getting that cake for $340, or the baker saying she could do a cake anything like the original, and either way, it perpetuated the myth that you should get a good, cheap cake, and not pay the baker for their time.

EXACTLY the point!

DeliciousDesserts Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 5:49pm
post #98 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

i hope that when/if the people that made the 3-tier cake and the bride and the families find this thread they take a minute to read here

i hope their feelings are not hurt by this comparison fiasco shameful roller coaster ride thread

so sorry this jr high judgment thing happened to your cake/wedding pictures

Lets all be honest.  If someone here posted that cake, we would give them lots of encouraging words & point out all the positive of that cake.  

I don't think anyone was nasty in comments.  If anything, most posters stated that they didn't mean to speak ill of the cake.  However, as everyone agrees, it is NOT the original cake.

I don't think that is jr. high judgment.  I think that is a fact.

This whole community is dedicated to encourage all levels of cake artist including novices.  We wouldn't rake anyone over the coals for that cake....unless they had promised the original.

DeliciousDesserts Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 5:50pm
post #99 of 254

Oh..and no one made fun of the photos.  

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 5:52pm
post #100 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts 

Oh..and no one made fun of the photos.  

No, but I wonder if the photographer is wondering why the "cake" gallery on the couple's wedding photos has so many visits, compared to the other sections of the same wedding icon_biggrin.gif

AZCouture Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 6:02pm
post #101 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti 

No, but I wonder if the photographer is wondering why the "cake" gallery on the couple's wedding photos has so many visits, compared to the other sections of the same wedding icon_biggrin.gif

Eek. That's true. I always forget to post indirect links, like www(dot)something.com. Cause I check my website stats and find links all the time.

Yeah, trust me, that photog has already been here if they check their stats.

AZCouture Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 6:03pm
post #102 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Eek. That's true. I always forget to post indirect links, like www(dot)something.com. Cause I check my website stats and find links all the time.

Yeah, trust me, that photog has already been here if they check their stats.

But no one was dissing them anyways. To be honest, no one was dissing anyone. Just venting a common frustration of unrealistic expectations and miscommunication that are so common. ((sigh))

LadyViola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyViola Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 6:19pm
post #103 of 254

As the OP of the whole thread, I can tell you my intent was genuinely to compare prices on said cake. I LOVE threads that compare pricing. The only reason to bring up the price quoted to the bride was to point out the fact that the work put into a cake like that would far exceed $340, even in Podunk KY, as someone mentioned.. Thus, the question of what everyone else would charge. I HIGHLY doubt the bride will ever see this thread, but if she does happen to stumble upon it, please rest assured that no one is making fun of your wedding cake. We cake artists merely recognize the fact that the cake you originally wanted was worth far more than you were quoted. If indeed you were able to get that cake made for only $340, well that would have been the deal of the century.

Having said that, let's keep the party rolling and get back to talking prices. icon_biggrin.gif What would you charge for this cake? This is from Carriescakes.com and she states on the website this is 100 servings and the price is $400. I think she is in Utah.

DeliciousDesserts Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 6:54pm
post #104 of 254

AThat's only 100 servings? How tiny are the books?! A 1/4 sheet serves 20

DeliciousDesserts Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 7:03pm
post #105 of 254

ABased on it neon about 100, I'd charge about $325-375

Annabakescakes Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 7:24pm
post #106 of 254

AI'm cheaper for single layer cakes, even though I torte them and fill, I only have to do it once per tier. Based on that, and a fondant starting price of $3.50 a serving, and 100 servings, it would be $300 here in Podunk, Ky ;-)

And I say a 1/4 is 24 servings, based on 2"x2" slices, and rounding the 9"x13" down to 8"x12" and diving by 2 to get the 2" pieces. 4x6 = 24. My sheet cakes are the full 9"x13" and at least 2 1/4" high (even the corners ;-) ) But if you didn't round, you could make the argument that a 1/4 sheet serves 29, since 4.5"x6.5= 29.25

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 7:30pm
post #107 of 254

OK...well I'm probably going to say some 'jr high' dissing comments.  That cake was embarrassing and should have been on Cakewrecks!   I feel for the photographer who tried their best to put a good visual spin on an awful project.  Poor construction, bulging, smeared buttercream showing behind the bling...obvious seams...well the list goes on and on!   I say the bride got what she paid for and I for one am glad she did! 

This is slightly off-topic, but it's a perfect example of a couple of things.  First the bride who thinks anyone who decorates cakes can produce an identical work of cake art for a cheap, cheap price.  And second...the 'decorator' who probably has never done a wedding cake, has limited skill set, and who agrees to take on the project.   THESE are similar to many of the CC 'newbies' I see posting on here who have no idea of what something like this entails and yet take on the job, come to this website and expect to see all kinds of rah-rah encouragement (which they get) and then produce a disaster like the one posted.  

I love CC for the help I've received over the years...I've learned a TON from the many talented decorators who offer their insight and expertise.  But I've also learned that just saying you want to produce a wedding cake does NOT mean you're ready to do it.   I guess that's why it irritates me when I see so many 'you can do its!'  given to those who have serious issues...like zero experience and lack of skill!!   

Everyone has to start somewhere, true...but before I'd take on such an important cake, I'd make damn sure I had the basics down and just have to ask about new techniques and how best to approach a different structure and not expect to produce a miracle just because I want one.  Encouragement is all well and good but sometimes I think when everyone jumps on the 'rainbows-and-puppy-dogs' bandwagon, it does a disservice to a bride who thinks she's going to get a Ron Ben Isreal cake for a Walmart price..and the no-clue decorator who thinks they can produce one.

So there!  I'm the meanie who will tell someone if I think they need to question their decision to go forward with a cake that may be beyond their skill.  This cake was beyond that decorators skill and guess who was stuck with the result?    Brides beware...and decorators speak out!

icon_wink.gif

DeliciousDesserts Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 7:37pm
post #108 of 254

ACarmijok, I could kiss you.

/agree completely

Those were excellent points.

-K8memphis Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 7:43pm
post #109 of 254

the book cake--i really like the handmade look of the painstaking lettering etc.

i guess i like competition quality work but in my mind i think it a greater skill to produce viable cakes like this than the kind you can calibrate with a micrometer--just my opinion

it's an awesome cake

sculptures start at $8 per-- i think i'd be close to the $8-ish mark on the books give or take

LadyViola Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 7:57pm
post #110 of 254

K8, you're saying $800 for a 3d book cake that serves 100? icon_eek.gif Girl, you make me wanna raise my prices. icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 8:07pm
post #111 of 254

a fondant cake is $4.50 $5.50 right?

this is four fondant books

rather straight forward all boxy and no moving parts

but why not -- this is a sculpture (and a very good one)

four books all that damn lettering ;)

four 'tier' cake

like you said in your blog~~ dessert at the italian place is almost seven bucks

a book cake is all that and so much more

custom make trump l'oeil--shoot i've talked myself into $9!!!!

icon_lol.gif

no--srsly 8 ;)

-K8memphis Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 8:15pm
post #112 of 254

(i meant custom made trump l'oeil in the previous thread)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i promise that i would be so way hating on myself if i charged less

spent enough time screwing up hating on myself to know ~~

the cake is a luxury

priced accordingly

ladyv~~how many would you like? afternoon or evening delivery? (in my slickest saleslady robin leach voice)

bwowahahaha

icon_biggrin.gif

(or yah wanna fill up on the all you can eat bread sticks & salad instead ;)

(remember the "do you have gray poupon" commercials of some years ago? ;)

LadyViola Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 8:27pm
post #113 of 254

K8......Bwahahaha! Touche' ;) 

Honestly, I would charge $6 per serving for this cake. It's not a super complicated design and I know it would not take me quite as long as say a 3D robot or something. Not that $8 per serving is unreasonable at all.

IcedandSliced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedandSliced Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 4:53am
post #114 of 254

$400 is exactly what I would charge for that amount of servings and that detail. Loving this thread. Nice to see all the different prices people throw out there that have cake experience, and understand the amount of effort put into these creations.

cakestomuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestomuch Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 5:04am
post #115 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts 

So, shame on me.

I did not follow the rules of WeddingbyColor.com.  I created an account under the false pretense of being a bride.  There was no option to join as a vendor.  I did come clean in the very beginning of the post.  Only fair.

How did you find the cake on Weddingbycolor? For the life of me I can't find the blog/post.

melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 8:05am
post #116 of 254

Based on 100 that would be $300 - $325 for me.

DeliciousDesserts Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 2:58pm
post #117 of 254

ACakestomuch, I followed a link someone posted earlier in the thread. Is it gone?

Annabakescakes Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 5:56pm
post #118 of 254

A

Original message sent by DeliciousDesserts

Cakestomuch, I followed a link someone posted earlier in the thread. Is it gone?

I followed it after that was posted, but that was last night....

ShelbyLyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelbyLyn Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 10:36pm
post #120 of 254

Anybody have any guesses on how many servings the actual wedding cake was and what you would charge for that?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%