Looking For A Mold

Decorating By poppet34 Updated 10 Feb 2013 , 12:49am by DeliciousDesserts

poppet34 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poppet34 Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 14

I am going to be doing a friends wedding cake and she is looking for a design like this, only I am not the best freehand piper.  Does anyone know if there is a mold out there similar to this?

Thanks!

13 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 4:34pm
post #2 of 14

i don't think so

but you could blow that up on a copier to the size you need

trace the pattern of the big bold lines

roll fondant sausages and make those bold ones according to the pattern

then you kinda gotta pipe the little whispy veins in there

because i would go stark raving made trying to make those out of more sausages but i guess it could be done

but if you got the big lines planted in there--you could get the little ones!!! just practice a bit you can do this

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 14

What K8 said.  I'd roll the larger sausages by hand, but you could do the smaller ones with an extruder.

poppet34 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poppet34 Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 5:16pm
post #4 of 14

Thanks for the advice!  Putting it that way - it makes it sound easy :)

-K8memphis Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 5:20pm
post #5 of 14

can i ask you something??

that picture bothers me

i don't like the bride looking like betty crocker offering the cake to the camera

no offense to the bride the baker or betty herself--but that is off putting to me

i don't want her serving the cake--that dress is not a 'cake cutter' outfit

she needs to go dancing into the moonlight and leave the cake to her minions

doncha think?

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 5:25pm
post #6 of 14

I think the picture says "look what I got! This kicks the arse of a nasty sheet cake anyday, and it's MINE!" But regardless, it was probably a photo shoot anyways and a dummy cake.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 5:32pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture  , it was probably a photo shoot anyways and a dummy cake.

That was my initial thought.  Because even a smallish 2 tier cake would be heavy enough to make her strain a little under the weight, LOL!!

Anyway, I don't think it's a mould.  It looks like some of it has been cut from rolled out fondant (I'd use gumpaste) and some has been done with an extruder.

-K8memphis Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 5:36pm
post #8 of 14

nasty sheet cake? you're so silly!

and that's why it doesn't look a real bride either

yes definitely looks like a photo shoot with that rainbowy background

it also looks maybe photo shopped?

dang i wish my fat little hips could photograph smaller than the cake plate icon_lol.gif

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 5:41pm
post #9 of 14

And yeah, that's no mold, that's good old fashioned hand work.

Sparklekat6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklekat6 Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 6:26pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

can i ask you something??

that picture bothers me

i don't like the bride looking like betty crocker offering the cake to the camera

no offense to the bride the baker or betty herself--but that is off putting to me

i don't want her serving the cake--that dress is not a 'cake cutter' outfit

she needs to go dancing into the moonlight and leave the cake to her minions

doncha think?

AHAHAHAHAHAHA  I am soooo glad you said this!  I totally got side tracked with the photo too.  I started wondering if it wasn't airbrushed because the cake looks pretty substantial and she appears to be holding it quite a distance from her body that I was thinking "she's not strong enough to hold the cake like that....FAKE!"

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 8:01pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

And yeah, that's no mold, that's good old fashioned hand work.

I agree. That kind of fat lace technique has appeared on a number of cakes that i've seen, lately. I'm not sure if I like it or not. On the upside, fat piping is easier to do than thin strings. At least for me, anyway, so it will be easier to pipe if you choose to do it that way. The hard part will come when you're trying to paint it all with silver lustre and not get it on the cake.

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 12:40am
post #12 of 14

I just did a cake like this (i tried and tried to get the bride to consider another lace design, but she had Her. Heart. Set. on something very similar).  

Mine was a bit bigger, 10" base cake that was 10" high (yeah...no WAY a cake of size could be held that way!). I hand rolled the larger parts of the lace and used an extruder for the smaller parts.  The fine piping (strings and pearls on the stems) was done in a light grey royal.  I hand painted the larger lace with silver luster and touched up the royal.  The fondant got a good buffing with super pearl as well as the lace and the string work. I did some impressions on the larger swirls for some depth. 

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 12:47am
post #13 of 14

I just did a cake from this photo!  (I tried so very, very hard to get the bride to vary from the design, but she Had. Her. Heart. Set. on this design. It's lovely, but i try to do something unique for each customer.)  

Mine was a 10" double barrel so it was 10" high with a 6" top.  Yeah, no way a bride could hold out a cake in her arms like that!  

I hand rolled and used an extruder for the lace and used grey royal for the string work and pearls. I hand painted the fondant and did a bit of touch up on the royal.    

Double barrel 10" round with 6" topper.  Fondant covered with hand crafted lace made of fondant and royal icing that was painted with silver luster.  [bride provided photo that i used for inspiration (varying design as much as she'd allow), but it had no credit.]

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 12:49am
post #14 of 14

AWow. Beautiful

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%