Frosting Sheets Vs. Wafer Paper

Decorating By teachinu Updated 6 Feb 2013 , 4:26pm by teachinu

teachinu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teachinu Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 3:08am
post #1 of 5

Hi all-

I have had a client request a gingham patterned cake.  The inspiration picture I was shown, features a cake whose sides are wrapped in either frosting sheets or wafer paper.  I have never worked with either medium but this is the clients preferred design.  

I plan to make a buttercream iced cake and have no idea which product would work best--frosting sheets or wafer paper.  Any feedback you can provide would be most appreciated.

Thanks so much!

4 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 5:00am
post #2 of 5

AWafer paper does not soften and meld into the icing which would make the cake very difficult to cut. You also have the option of using frosting sheets.

teachinu Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 3:39pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you so much!  It appears, from looking at the inspiration picture, that wafer paper was probably the medium used.  I guess the final decision is really up to the client, as this is really all aesthetics.  

I've heard that working with the sheets can be easy but that wafer paper may tend to bubble on buttercream or crack when being peeled off the backing.  Has anyone experienced this?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 5

I meant to say you also have the option of sugar sheets.  There are several preprinted in gingham patterns/colors on the interwebs.

teachinu Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 4:26pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks Leah!  Of course, the color we want is a "special order".  Holy smokes, it appears I'm in the wrong line of work!  The profit margin there is insane!

Interwebs, eh?  My husband uses that term...  ;)  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%