SweetHeartTart Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 2:34am
post #1 of

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone out there has the answer for me or at least a tip I haven't thought of.  I need to make a few sheet cakes and found a recipe that works, only problem is that is domes a bit in the middle.  For a regular round or square cake, I can easily use cake strips, but I can't use them for the sheet cake pan.  I also don't use flower nails because, well, the cake cooks through just fine...it just domes.  Any idea's on how to bake a sheet cake so that it doesn't dome?  Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

 

Sweethearttart

9 replies
bigdad Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 2:42am
post #2 of

you can lower the temp and bake it on the upper shelf that helps you will have to bake it longer.  or when it comes out of the oven I take a pot holder and push the dome down this helps a lot but then I always flip it over so the bottom is the top nice and flat.
 

Vista Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 4:08am
post #3 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHeartTart 

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone out there has the answer for me or at least a tip I haven't thought of.  I need to make a few sheet cakes and found a recipe that works, only problem is that is domes a bit in the middle.  For a regular round or square cake, I can easily use cake strips, but I can't use them for the sheet cake pan.  I also don't use flower nails because, well, the cake cooks through just fine...it just domes.  Any idea's on how to bake a sheet cake so that it doesn't dome?  Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

 

Sweethearttart


I would still use strips.  I don't buy them.  I take an old towel and cut it the width I need, wet it with cold water, wrap around the pan and pin in place.  If one is not long enough you can cut another and just pin the two together.

leah_s Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 5:05am
post #4 of

AI'd just trim off the dome.

doramoreno62 Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 8:19am
post #5 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdad 

you can lower the temp and bake it on the upper shelf that helps you will have to bake it longer.  or when it comes out of the oven I take a pot holder and push the dome down this helps a lot but then I always flip it over so the bottom is the top nice and flat.
 

I also push the dome down. I take a cookie sheet that is an inch or 2 smaller than your sheet pan  and lay a clean dish towel on top of the cake. Then I press the cookie sheet down on the dome for a few minutes. You have to do this when it is still piping hot, right of the oven or it will not work.

 

check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V8d5gSdKmQ

Watch until then end.

newbaker55 Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 9:41am
post #6 of

I use a comination of strips and flower nails...works every tme :)

 

BTW...I always managed to stick my finger when using the T pin that comes with the Wilton strips. fixed that problem AND got a better join by using a metal binder clip from office supplies :)

yortma Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 2:44pm
post #7 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbaker55 

I use a comination of strips and flower nails...works every tme :)

 

BTW...I always managed to stick my finger when using the T pin that comes with the Wilton strips. fixed that problem AND got a better join by using a metal binder clip from office supplies :)

 

Great tip Newbaker, Thanks!

 

 

 

I use cake strips and the Ateco heat core nails as well, and then just level off the dome.   I always have takers for the scraps!

BakingIrene Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 3:26pm
post #8 of

You can pin two or more cake strips together for a larger pan. Those un-insulated tabs are for that.   

 

If you need to do a lot of sheet cakes, buy a set of the larger strips that come in a pack of 4 long sizes.  They are well worth the $$$ and using two of them will work on a sheet pan.  They do a fine job up to a 16" square or a 12 x 18 sheet.

JimmyBoombats Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 4:05pm
post #9 of

I too use the cake strips, and the piping hot push down method for the slight hump. They work great!!

rflinn Posted 21 May 2014 , 5:08pm

Hi,

 

I have no idea how long go this thread was so you may be achieving fabulously flat sheet cakes now for all i know. BUT I may have some info that will help, like cupcakes, bake at a lower temp for longer and when spreading the batter into the tin spread it convexed. If that makes sense, I'm only young :D So spread with a slight dip towards the centre and the sides slightly higher. That way the middle catches up with the sides and at a low temp wont dome on you :) Hope this helps!! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%