manomi Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 1:23am
post #1 of

Hi everyone.

A bride wants me to replicate something like this..Can anyone help me figure out how to do the separators?Is this something that I can buy or will I have to create these separators? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!icon_smile.gif

16 replies
wildflowercakes Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 2:25am
post #2 of

To me it looks like the plate and pillar tiers with the beaded "curtains" attached around the outside of the plates.  I don't know where you would get the beads. 

manomi Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 2:33am
post #3 of

Yes, it looks like it,but I have no idea where to find these hanging crystals :(

DeniseNH Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 2:35am
post #4 of

Beads can be purchased at any good fabric store that caters to brides.  What I can't understand is the see through separators in between each cake.  The cake is so tall that you'd need a clear central support or stabilizer for sure.

wildflowercakes Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 2:38am
post #5 of

manomi check out this site maybe something on here http://weddingdecordirect.com/index.php/cPath/42_43

leah_s Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 2:45am
post #6 of

Also  www.shopwildthings.com

manomi Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 2:50am
post #7 of

Thanks DeniseNH, Leah and wildflowercakes..

Yes DeniseNH I m very tempted to say no to this cake...I'll be scared to death in assembling this...

wildflowercakes Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 2:57am
post #8 of

ooo leah_s what a fun site!

Annabakescakes Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 2:59am
post #9 of

If you used the square Acrylic Separators, you could use a hot knife with a needle-like attachment to bore a little strip of holes along the edge, then wire the beads through them. A LOT OF WORK!!! So charge accordingly! There is actually one for sale on the Cincinnati Craigslist. Search Mirabelle Cakery cake stand, and it should come up. 

Annabakescakes Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 3:03am

Sorry-

maribelle cakery

shanter Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 3:34am

If you decide to do it, here's another source:

http://www.decoratingstudio.com/Beaded_Fringe/index.html

manomi Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 3:39am

Thanks everyone for your help :) I'll keep you guys posted on how this goes..However I am pretty sure I'll say no...I don't want to mess this up

cupadeecakes Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 9:29pm

I made a cake with separators similar to this a while back.  I used the white Wilton columns and separator plates.  I glued by beading to the underside of the separator plate and just made sure each line of beads was the same length (same number of beads).  For blingy beads I would recommend beadandtrim.com, although they can be expensive.

Here is a pic of the cake I did:

Annabakescakes Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 9:43pm

AWow, cuppadeecakes, how the heck do you get a cake that low to the ground and back up again without breaking your back?

manomi Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 10:10pm

AWOW cupadeecakes. This is AMAZING!! Did u have a support going throughout the cake? Also when i buy the beads, what length should i buy. All i see is 6 ft, 3 ft. I am assuming i will have to cut these myself? When u cut, are there any lose beads?

cupadeecakes Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 1:50pm

@Annabakescakes - This cake was actually a dummy cake, but it was based off a real cake that I made (and I couldn't find the picture).  The short answer is that I had to put this together tier by tier at the venue and it would take more than one person.

@Manomi - There are supports in each tier, but not a center rod that runs the entire length of the cake.  I used the long white columns with the Wilton separator plates (the ones with the "x" studs on bottom that fit into the columns.  As for the "bling", I actually bought a beaded curtain (it was much cheaper) and cut it into the length I needed.  On the curtain I had, if you cut it between beads, nothing fell off.  IIRC, I did get the beaded curtain at shopwildthings that Leah suggested.  Hope this helps!

manomi Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 7:42am

That helps a lot! Thank u soo much icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%