Do You Charge More For...?

Business By bittersweety Updated 5 Feb 2013 , 7:46pm by leah_s

bittersweety Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bittersweety Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 9

Do you charge more for....

1.  Stacked cakes over 3 tiers?  just because of the extra care and supports involved, not to mention stress :) ??? just wondering.

2. For fresh fruits in cakes?  ie whats your method of mark-up for that?

---i guess the same goes for (for example) if a bride wants a ton of pearls on her cake and you know that it will take one whole container of pearls to cover the cake or the tier or whatever... how do you mark those up?

3.  Do you charge for the SPS system (if you use them) or do you just absorb the cost into the cake?  Do you quote the cost of that to your bride? Or is it included into another part of the quote? Just curious bc i know most bakers have a base price per serving but not every cake would require supports or SPS...so for those cakes that do require it/them, how do you cover the cost of them?

sorry for the random questions! just little bits and bobbles that have been on my mind :)

8 replies
Ducky316 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ducky316 Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 9

I have my base, and that includes only buttercream... then I charge a fee for stacking each tier, I charge extra for fondant or fondant accents and I have a cost breakdown that I give to the customer. Also, it depends on how much detail is invloved and how much time you think you're going to spend on it. As far as fruit filling, I wouldn't charge anymore than maybe 5-10 bucks per tier,  but I most certainly would charge extra! I do for bavarian cream. I don't know what SPS is, so I guess I don't use it LOL Hope this helps :)

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bittersweety 

1.  Stacked cakes over 3 tiers?  just because of the extra care and supports involved, not to mention stress :) ??? just wondering.

---i guess the same goes for (for example) if a bride wants a ton of pearls on her cake and you know that it will take one whole container of pearls to cover the cake or the tier or whatever... how do you mark those up?

3.  Do you charge for the SPS system (if you use them) or do you just absorb the cost into the cake?  Do you quote the cost of that to your bride? Or is it included into another part of the quote? Just curious bc i know most bakers have a base price per serving but not every cake would require supports or SPS...so for those cakes that do require it/them, how do you cover the cost of them?

sorry for the random questions! just little bits and bobbles that have been on my mind :)

1. No, I don't itemize out for the support system. (If it's causing you stress then you need to absorb that into your "learning new skills" column in your own head. You can't charge extra for learning on the job) I include it in my costs just as if it was adding fruits or a premium cake flavor, etc...

2. Yes, I  do charge more for fresh fruit in the filling, it can be very costly at times. I estimate how much fruit (how many pints) each tier needs X the current price of that fruit. Then I add in a dollar amount for my labor to purchase the fruit.

3. Again I don't charge supports out separately to the client because almost every cake I do has supports.....just as they all  have a base. I do account for them in my costs.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bittersweety 

Yes & no.  I charge flat fees for unstacked cakes (6" starts at $30) and per serving for any stacked cake.

Yes.  Like Stitches, I charge according to how much fruit I estimate I will need.  I add the cost of that fruit to what I charge for regular filling.

It is listed as "Plates & Columns" on my contract and is $30.

bittersweety Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitches 

1. No, I don't itemize out for the support system. (If it's causing you stress then you need to absorb that into your "learning new skills" column in your own head. You can't charge extra for learning on the job) I include it in my costs just as if it was adding fruits or a premium cake flavor, etc...

2. Yes, I  do charge more for fresh fruit in the filling, it can be very costly at times. I estimate how much fruit (how many pints) each tier needs X the current price of that fruit. Then I add in a dollar amount for my labor to purchase the fruit.

3. Again I don't charge supports out separately to the client because almost every cake I do has supports.....just as they all  have a base. I do account for them in my costs.

as for 1. i meant more along the lines of, what do you charge for additional supports that are needed for taller stacked cakes, and if so, what is your mark up and how do you figure it?  do you just come up with a cost for all the supports and the charge to stack a multiple tiered cake, and then divide that # among the total servings? as far as stress, i guess i meant more like "extra time and work". 

haha, i'm not gonna sit outside the reception venue weeping in my car because i have a 5 tier cake to assemble and no idea how to do it....  oh man that would be awful.... i hope thats never happened to anyone... :(

bittersweety Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 6:34pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts 

i'm intrigued!  so for unstacked cakes you charge a flat fee but for stacked its by the serving...can you ellaborate on that? that kind of sounds like a dillema i've been having so i'm interested to hear how you do this.  Do customers ever question it?

Also, i like the idea of having a "plates and columns" fee on the contract.  it makes it seem like the serving amounts aren;t any higher than they need to be by adding that cost in, but obviously a bride/groom should understand the need for these and in theory wouldn't question it if was seperated out... i love it!

thanks!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 6:46pm
post #7 of 9

AWe sell single tier cakes at flat prices and multiple tier cakes at a higher per-serving price, the per-serving price for multi-tier cakes includes the cost of supports necessary for a taller cake so if a cake doesn't need as much support we pocket the extra as profit.

For fillings we have standard fillings which are included, and a higher price is charged for premium fillings like fresh fruit.

Basically, if you can remove something and still have a viable cake it is broken out separately. Something like supports are not itemized since the cake would not be stable without them.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 7:07pm
post #8 of 9

A

Original message sent by bittersweety

i'm intrigued!  so for unstacked cakes you charge a flat fee but for stacked its by the serving...can you ellaborate on that? that kind of sounds like a dillema i've been having so i'm interested to hear how you do this.  Do customers ever question it?

Also, i like the idea of having a "plates and columns" fee on the contract.  it makes it seem like the serving amounts aren;t any higher than they need to be by adding that cost in, but obviously a bride/groom should understand the need for these and in theory wouldn't question it if was seperated out... i love it!

thanks!

In my area, it would be difficult to charge per serving for single tier cakes ...even if it was presented as a whole price. It would also get into the whole party size, wedding serving debate.

I find mos clients think just that! They also view it as a minimal cost ($30). The expertise to assemble it is included in the per serving fee *wink*

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 7:45pm
post #9 of 9

I do charge an "equipment fee" that covers the drum and SPS.  I always explained it this way, "The equipment is the support inside your cake.  Without it your cake will fall down."  The answer always is/was "Oh YES!  we want that!"

I charge $10 per tier and don't charge for the top tier.  For example, a three tier cake would have a $20 equipment fee.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%