Some Raves But Still Lots Of Room For Improvement

Decorating By zouzouni mou Updated 5 Feb 2013 , 5:44pm by JimmyBoombats

zouzouni mou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zouzouni mou Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 12:42am
post #1 of 6

AI am a cake decorator wanna-be but I just did my daughters 2nd birthday cake this weekend (My third cake ever). I did get lots of raves (from my family a biased group I know) but I people weren't thrilled with my yellow cake recipe, the bottom tier. The top tier was chocolate and a big hit. Does any one have a good recipe for a moist, tender yellow cake that will withhold stacking? [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2913641/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

5 replies
Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 1:11am
post #2 of 6

I made this one for one of my cakes and everyone liked it.  The only thing is that it takes potato starch which was not cheap and I haven't used it since.  

zouzouni mou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zouzouni mou Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 6

AThanks I've never used potato starch. The crazy thing is the chocolate tier that everyone liked was a doctored box cake. I was tempted to just revert to that in the future but I really do want to become a scratch baker. Damn Duncan Hines :-)

BCBakey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCBakey Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 6

All I ever use are boxed cake mixes. They turn out perfect every single time. ;)

rjcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rjcakes Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 5:43pm
post #5 of 6

This is a good yellow cake from epicurious. I've used it many times with great success.

HTH!

RJ

Ingredients:
3 cups (330 g) cake flour
1 tablebspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (8 ounces or 230 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups (454 g) granulated sugar
5 large eggs
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups (10 fluid ounces or 300 ml) buttermilk

1. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).  Butter and line with parchment paper two 8x2-inch (20x5-cm) pans. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. Cut up the butter into 1-inch pieces and place them in the large bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment or beaters.  Beat for 3 minutes on MEDIUM-HIGH speed until the butter is light and creamy in color.  Stop and scrape the bowl.  Cream the butter for an additional 60 seconds.
4.Add the sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, beating 1 minute after each addition.  Scrape the sides of the bowl occasionally.  Add the eggs one at a time.
5. Reduce the mixer speed.  Stir vanilla into the buttermilk.  Add the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk.  Mix just until incorporated.  Scrape the sides of the bowl and mix for 15 seconds longer.
6. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a knife.  Lift up the pan with the batter, and let it drop onto the counter top to burst any air bubbles, allowing the batter to settle.
7.Center the pans onto the lower third of the oven and let bake 45 to 50 minutes or until the cake is lightly brown on top and comes away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

JimmyBoombats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JimmyBoombats Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 5:44pm
post #6 of 6

I started leaning toward the box mixes, the art is on the outside. Besides baking is a science and I am no Bill Nye the Science Guy..

Happy Baking

Jimmy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%