Compare Pricing

Business By DeliciousDesserts Updated 8 Feb 2013 , 12:10pm by SandyES00

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 25

As per the "Unrealistic Client" thread, I edited the description of my photos to include pricing.

Anyone want to compare?  It won't hurt my feelings if you would charge less.  I'm interested to see comparisons.

Pick a cake:  http://cakecentral.com/g/u/875112/DeliciousDesserts/photosets/1/sort/album_create_time/page/20

24 replies
stefkovic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stefkovic Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 3:21pm
post #2 of 25

I would say your prices are fair, they are about what I would charge

melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 4:15pm
post #3 of 25

That's a great idea...I plan on doing the same. Your pricing is very fair. Unfortunately in my demographic I would not be able to get those prices. Sadly mine will be less icon_sad.gif  but hopefully helpful to the community.

You do absolutely GORGEOUS work!

DeliciousDesserts Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 4:37pm
post #4 of 25

AThank you so much for the compliment.

I know pricing ranges regionally. I was very surprised when a very famous decorator revealed, at an ICES meeting, that she is only able to charge $3.50 per serving. What?!!! She's a challenge winner!!!

Even is South Carolina, there is a wide gap. Some shops in the upstate max at about $3 while the top end in Charleston is $8.

melanie-1221 Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 4:53pm
post #5 of 25

I have added pricing to most of my photos now as well.

I am in an area where $3.00 - $3.50 is the average for a Home Processor.

Some shops here advertise $4.00 - $6.00 per serving but usually end up on the low side of that range.

I need to move icon_smile.gif

DeliciousDesserts Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 6:24pm
post #6 of 25

Ok, the mean carrot cake is HILARIOUS!!  The murder mystery cake is just amazing.  really.

melanie-1221 Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 6:50pm
post #7 of 25

Thank you! My boyfriend wanted a "mean carrot cake" for his birthday, I decided to take it literally icon_biggrin.gif

...and thank you SO much for the compliments, I really appreciate them!

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 7:06pm
post #8 of 25

I can't get your prices in my market. I'm in a average income burb of Chicago. I'd love to be able to get your prices because you are priced smartly as an artist should.........I struggle to find people willing to go half of what your pricing at.

DeliciousDesserts Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 7:31pm
post #9 of 25

A

Original message sent by Stitches

I can't get your prices in my market. I'm in a average income burb of Chicago. I'd love to be able to get your prices because you are priced smartly as an artist should.........I struggle to find people willing to go half of what your pricing at.

Stitches, that is the whole point of our thread. As I mentioned, pricing varies even within my state of SC. In some parts the high end bakeries get $3 while some in Charleston can charge $8 (ok, only one that I know).

Btw...wasn't sure to which of us you were referring.

What is pricing like in Chicago?

Stitches Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 3:07am
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts 

Stitches, that is the whole point of our thread. As I mentioned, pricing varies even within my state of SC. In some parts the high end bakeries get $3 while some in Charleston can charge $8 (ok, only one that I know).

Btw...wasn't sure to which of us you were referring.

What is pricing like in Chicago?

Sorry, I wasn't paying close attention.

I only price my wedding cakes by a per person rate. I price according to how much time I know it will take me to do something and I'm pretty fast.

O.k. so your blue Christening cake feeding 45, it looks like a 10" & 8"...........is that correct? I'd ask $90.00.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 3:32am
post #11 of 25

I'll pick Callie's cake. It serves 45, and in my market I would get $157 for it. $3.50 a serving.

Stitches Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 3:49am
post #12 of 25

Sheesh I tried to edit my post above and I'm so tired I screwed up....to tired to re-write now.

But for Callie's cake in my area, it would also be under $100.00 based on size (not servings) and design.

mskerrih Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mskerrih Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 4:35am
post #13 of 25

For " Callie's" cake, in my area .. it would be around $225 on the high end.. But I would charge  $115.. My bakery is in a small town where u get the --**gasp! it's just a cake-- response alot.. lol

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 5:17am
post #14 of 25

Great thread!  It's interesting to see the range of pricing based on geographical location.  Looks like people in certain areas are getting a steal of a deal on their custom cakes!

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 5:48am
post #15 of 25

Is it possible to put the sizes of the cakes in the info of them , as some of us may have different serving sizes that we charge for . Eg , I charge all my cakes out at a one inch by two inch piece .  So knowing the size of the tiers would be helpful . 

Annabakescakes Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 6:28am
post #16 of 25

Hey, Delicious Desserts! I have an idea! Why don't we start a thread that has one cake posted, with the specifics as to size, not servings, and then the people post all that day how many it would serve, and what it would cost, and where they live. Then a new picture the next day, either a new thread, or just a new picture posted to the same thread.  We could just add it to this thread, even. You can have volunteers allow you to use their pictures, and just post a random cake each day. That way, it would be a bit more structured. 

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 7:36am
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

Hey, Delicious Desserts! I have an idea! Why don't we start a thread that has one cake posted, with the specifics as to size, not servings, and then the people post all that day how many it would serve, and what it would cost, and where they live. Then a new picture the next day, either a new thread, or just a new picture posted to the same thread.  We could just add it to this thread, even. You can have volunteers allow you to use their pictures, and just post a random cake each day. That way, it would be a bit more structured. 

I love this idea.

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 8:30am
post #18 of 25

Another cake size supporter!

DeliciousDesserts Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 12:53pm
post #19 of 25

AAwesome idea. I like it! I think we should also include flavors & fillings since that is a pricing factor.

Toddler is awake, so it will be awhile before I can share a link to a cake. I'm terrible & trying to add links on my phone.

I someone has time before me, please post one. Otherwise, ill post as soon as I can.

mskerrih Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mskerrih Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 1:57am
post #20 of 25

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2915789/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

This is a two layer half sheet cake. The lid is cardboard. The bottles are fondant gumpaste. White cake with buttercream icing and filling. This cake would be about $250 in my area. ** sad right :-(

DeliciousDesserts Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 4:29am
post #21 of 25

Mskerrih,

That is fabulous!  I love it!

I wouldn't say that is sad at all.  I think $250 is about right.

Annabakescakes Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 5:34am
post #22 of 25

A

Original message sent by DeliciousDesserts

Mskerrih,

That is fabulous!  I love it!

I wouldn't say that is sad at all.  I think $250 is about right.

I was going to say the same thing!! I actually probably wouldn't have charged that much, but wished I would've.

melanie-1221 Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 5:59am
post #23 of 25

Great work, that's a fair price. In my market I would charge $200.

SandyES00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandyES00 Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 12:08pm
post #24 of 25

I live in the DC metro area.  I have that a half sheet serves 60.  In my area, fondant cakes are usually $4.50 per serving starting, although I don't charge that much since I'm newer.  I'd charge somewhere between $270 and $300 including the fondant perfume bottles, cardboard top, etc.

SandyES00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandyES00 Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 12:10pm
post #25 of 25

I live in the DC metro area and have that that cake would serve 60.  Average around here is about $4.50 per serving starting for fondant cakes.  I don't charge that much because I'm newer, but I would charge around $270-$300 for everything, no including delivery.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%