1:00 A.m. And My Smbc Is Streaky. Ugh

Decorating By tsal Updated 4 Feb 2013 , 4:46pm by tsal

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 6:11am
post #1 of 3

I am making a surprise bday cake for a family member.  It is covered in chocolate SMBC.  I wanted to get it really smooth so I let it set up in the fridge and then scraped it with a room temperature bench scraper. The SMBC became all streaky and looks awful.

How can I mimimize the damage?  I guess I could whip up another batch of icing in the morning and put on another coat.  I wasn't planning on covering it with fondant and really don't want to.  The cake it due tomorrow night.

Help! 

2 replies
Danilou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danilou Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 6:25am
post #2 of 3

Did you put anything else in the SMB? such as liquids or flaourings. Once I added coffee (dissolved in water) and that made my SMB go funny. Or did it melt? I'm not sure why it would be streaky. I would try bringing it back to room temp. then re beating it in your mixer.

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 3

I think I know what happened.  My kitchen was really warm so when I took the cake out of the fridge and put my 'room-temp' scraper on it, it wasn't really room-temp, hence the melting.

I wrapped the entire cake in chocolate instead of scraping it all off and starting over.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%