Best Oven For Baking?

Business By lusciouslemon Updated 22 Oct 2016 , 9:27pm by shaun27

lusciouslemon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lusciouslemon Posted 3 Feb 2013 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 30

Hi,

I really enjoy baking and hoping to start a cake decorating business from home. I'm re-vamping my Kitchen at the moment and choosing a new oven (important decision!) and need some advice.

Which is the best oven for baking cakes? I've only ever baked with an electric oven but is a gas better? And are there any particular features I should look for, can the right oven achieve better and more consistent baking results? I'm especially looking to create moist and well risen sponge and fruit cakes.

I would really appreciate any advice,

Thanksicon_smile.gif

29 replies
IsaSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IsaSW Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 30

I believe electric is better, I've had both. I don't trust the gas one, even bought those thing to measure the temperature inside, and my oven was off like 50 degrees.

Convention is great, because it cuts down baking time. But, you will have to start taking notes. Lets say your recipe says, 40 mins. In the convection will only take 25.

I had a fancy one, with all the digital buttons in the front, the minute the digital screen started acting weird, displaying wrong numbers, I couldn't trust it anymore. So I bought one at IKEA, simple, just a regular, no convection oven, and It does its job. Its all about how much can you afford, but a $400 its more than enough, if you are only baking occasionally.

This one has a feature that if you bake non stop for a couple of days, it will go into sabath mode, it will quit working for two days, its resting, the manual said, after the 48 hours period, it was back like normal. It freaked me out at first, but its something too considered if you will be baking non stop.

DecoratedDreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecoratedDreams Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 30

I adore my kitchen aid double oven/slide in range. Top oven is smaller but fits all my cake pans just fine.  Bottom oven is large - fits my cake pans and is a convection.  True even baking!  LOVE LOVE LOVE! Worth every penny - It ended up costing me about $1,000 because I bought a kitchen package.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 30

my ge profile gas home range/oven is the worst

i have a deluxe (commercial) cake oven in my home kitchen--i love it

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 30

AHate my gas. Gas is great for cooking but awful for baking.

I like convection. The fan helps circulate heat for even baking. Not necessary, but a nice addition.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 8:33pm
post #6 of 30

In my old bakery, I had a commercial electric convection oven and hated it.  

When we were planning my new bakery, I wanted natural gas so badly that I had to pay to have the gas company extend the pipeline to reach us.  

It was well worth it.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my commercial natural gas convection oven, 6 burner range, water heater, and all of the same appliances at home too.

Natural gas FTW!! :D

precybridal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
precybridal Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 4:28pm
post #7 of 30

Pls where did you buy your oven? Which is the best oven for non stop cake baking pls

precybridal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
precybridal Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 4:30pm
post #8 of 30

Pls where did you buy the deluxe commercial oven? is it still very good? I need to buy one

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 4:46pm
post #9 of 30

I have both gas convection and electric convection.  I prefer gas convection for cake;  electric convection for cookies.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 7:48pm
post #10 of 30

I'm having a hard time understanding why gas or electric would make any difference...............what the.............?

P.S. I'm not a newbie and have used many an oven.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 2:03am
post #11 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitches 

I'm having a hard time understanding why gas or electric would make any difference...............what the.............?

I think it's a matter of what we're used to - it's more about which method is familiar and therefore feels more comfortable.

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 2:25am
post #12 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stitches 

Electric is supposed to be more consistent and even throughout a baking period.  The elements reach the desired temperature and hold.   A gas oven doesn't heat as consistently because it fires on and off, and the temp can fluctuate more during the baking period.  That's what I learned, anyway!

Liz

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 2:41am
post #13 of 30

AExactly what Liz said!

My gas oven would fluctuate up to 18 degrees.

MimiFix Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 2:46am
post #14 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz at sugar 

Electric is supposed to be more consistent and even throughout a baking period.  The elements reach the desired temperature and hold.   A gas oven doesn't heat as consistently because it fires on and off, and the temp can fluctuate more during the baking period.  That's what I learned, anyway!

I worked for a national appliance company, testing a wide range of ovens (both theirs and those from competitors.) Electric coils and gas flames transition on and off, based on ambient oven temp, and all ovens are designed to fluctuate 25 degrees above and below the set temperature.The rate an oven holds its temp is dependent upon insulation, not heat source. 

liz at sugar Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 3:01am
post #15 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 

I worked for a national appliance company, testing a wide range of ovens (both theirs and those from competitors.) Electric coils and gas flames transition on and off, based on ambient oven temp, and all ovens are designed to fluctuate 25 degrees above and below the set temperature.The rate an oven holds its temp is dependent upon insulation, not heat source. 

That is true, but don't gas ovens have to fluctuate more during a given period to remain at temperature?  So there would be more high/low periods during baking?

Liz

MimiFix Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 3:13am
post #16 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by liz at sugar 

That is true, but don't gas ovens have to fluctuate more during a given period to remain at temperature?  So there would be more high/low periods during baking?

Liz

Gas ovens don't fluctuate any more than electric ovens. It depends upon an ovens design elements, the thermostat's age, and how often the door is opened.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 3:07pm
post #17 of 30

Quote:

^I believe this is true....makes the most sense.

I HATE bottom heat ovens....no matter what you do (double panning and raising racks up) your bottoms over bake in relation to the top of your product........which looks really unprofessional.

I've definitely got more opinions about ovens when your talking about convections. Some fans work too darn much AND you still have hot spots near the walls of oven.......so technically the heat isn't really even. Although I do prefer a convection, they sure aren't perfect!

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 3:35pm
post #18 of 30

AI've got my eye on the kitchenaid electric range, double oven with true convection in the bottom oven.

MimiFix Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 5:33pm
post #19 of 30

I recently purchased a KitchenAid, gas convection. (vgcea, I would have gotten the double oven but my back is cranky so it was too low for me to be lifting heavy trays.) I love my new oven with three rack baking! I still have to rotate (Stitches is right, convection ovens are not perfect). Photo shows what happens to bottom tray without pan rotation. 

But the fan is quiet and the speed is gentle. I would guess that their electric model is similar.   

liz at sugar Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 7:38pm
post #20 of 30

Quote:

I recently purchased a KitchenAid, gas convection. (vgcea, I would have gotten the double oven but my back is cranky so it was too low for me to be lifting heavy trays.) I love my new oven with three rack baking! I still have to rotate (Stitches is right, convection ovens are not perfect). Photo shows what happens to bottom tray without pan rotation. 

But the fan is quiet and the speed is gentle. I would guess that their electric model is similar.   

I have an electric Breville convection smart oven (countertop/toaster oven style) which has some interesting technology that would be helpful if integrated into a full size oven to avoid the burning on the bottom issue. 

It has elements top and bottom, and three rack levels.  You select what you are baking on the dial (cookies, pizza, etc) and the optimal combination of elements heat up to provide the best, even cooking experience without any rotating of sheets.  It really does an amazing job!  I've been using it for a year at home while we are remodeling our kitchen, and I am not sure I will put it away when my real oven is installed - it is that great!

Liz

MimiFix Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 12:23pm
post #21 of 30

Liz, I just googled it. Wow! Is it a home counter top oven only (holds up to 12"x12" pan?) or does it come larger?

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 12:50pm
post #22 of 30

I have an electric Jenn Aire, not sure how old it is (probably 10+ years), but I like how it bakes.  The control panel is broken (can't see it) but it still bakes, so I will keep it and consider another Jenn-Aire, not because of quality (lousy control panel), but because it bakes so nicely.

liz at sugar Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 2:07pm
post #23 of 30

Quote:

Liz, I just googled it. Wow! Is it a home counter top oven only (holds up to 12"x12" pan?) or does it come larger?

Mimi - I think it is only made in this countertop size.  It comes with 12" pizza pans and a 12" broiler/roasting pan.  I had to buy 1/4 size sheet pans to bake cookies in it.

I needed something more than a basic toaster oven, and all the reviews on Amazon and Williams Sonoma were so positive, I gave it a try.  It really is amazing.

Liz

AntBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AntBee Posted 8 Feb 2014 , 5:16am
post #24 of 30

Thanks everyone for your excellent advice and input, however can anyone who bakes cakes for a living,  please tell us what is a good  commercial oven for baking cakes in it!

Will the Blodgett convection oven, half size be good for cakes?

I would like an oven that bakes  four or more (13X9X2) cakes inch pans.

Does anyone back that amount of cakes at one time?

Any advice/information will be deeply appreciated.

Thanks

MimiFix Posted 8 Feb 2014 , 1:44pm
post #25 of 30

AntBee, do you have a commercial space? Baking in a commercial convection oven has challenges. (It's not the same as a home convection oven since the commercial fan speeds are stronger.) If you have not used one before it would help you to find one for experimenting. But yes, the half-size Blodgett is nice if you are able to adapt your recipes and baking style. If you are baking from home, most home-sized ovens will bake four quarter sheet pans at once. Use two racks and rotate pans halfway through.  

liz at sugar Posted 8 Feb 2014 , 3:53pm
post #26 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntBee 

I would like an oven that bakes  four or more (13X9X2) cakes inch pans.

Does anyone back that amount of cakes at one time?

Any advice/information will be deeply appreciated.

Thanks

A full sized commercial convection oven usually has three racks, which each hold a full sheet pan comfortably.  A full sheet pan is about 18 x 26.

Liz

RDLLC2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RDLLC2014 Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 3:39pm
post #27 of 30

Deluxe Ovens are the BEST baking ovens on the planet!

Call 1-800-274-5211 to get the best price-ANYWHERE!

Ask for Beau

besttoaster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
besttoaster Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 12:08pm
post #28 of 30

Hello,

I have a suggestion for you.

I hope it will be beneficial for you.

Click for details

TaylorsMemaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TaylorsMemaw Posted 28 Feb 2014 , 4:35pm
post #29 of 30

Could you tell me what brand/size that works for a home kitchen.  Thank You

shaun27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaun27 Posted 22 Oct 2016 , 9:27pm
post #30 of 30

You can check KitchenAid KCO275AQ, the size is 12-inch with 1800-watt of cooking power. This can be the best countertop oven for middle range cooking requirements in a home!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%