Diviana Posted 3 Feb 2013 , 8:55pm

Hello everyone,

I am very new here and I decided to join this community because I read this would help me turn my hobby for baking and pastries into something more. I am looking for positions for internship, apprenticeship or on the job training in this field. Does anybody know how and where I can get started? I wouldnt want to work at places like Walmart bakeshop or similar, I am more interested in real bakeries or restaurants with baked specialties.

Please help if anyone knows more about this approach to baking careers, without a culinary degree.

Thank you

Diana

17 replies
DeliciousDesserts Posted 3 Feb 2013 , 9:10pm

ADiana, it might help if you tell us in what region you are seeking a position. This isn't really a site for finding employment, but you are more likely to get a response if people know where you are. Maybe you'll get lily and someone from your town who is looking for help happens to see your post.

I also suggest contacting places you would like to work. Never known when someone might say yes.

-K8memphis Posted 3 Feb 2013 , 9:18pm

in this job market any job in the industry is worth it's weight in gold

 

in the big box store you get benefits and you learn speed which is invaluable for success

 

to get a great internship you need to pay the big bucks in the high end culinary schools

 

to get a regular internship you probably still need a degree from somewhere

 

good luck to you--no easy answers

 

you could get your foot in the door maybe by being willing to do counter work---then prove yourself at that & try & parlay that into the next step

 

i do wish you the best

 

could always open a shop

 

hire a pro + employees--you do the business end of it they do the rest while you learn and can step in and do more

 

those are some different ways

jason_kraft Posted 3 Feb 2013 , 9:41pm

AAgreed, if you can get a job at a Walmart or grocery store bakery I would go for it. Having previous experience and being able to demonstrate success in commercial food production is a huge plus.

Diviana Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 1:05pm

Thank you very much for all the suggestions and yes you are right any position offered is a plus. Did a lot of thinking so i guess id go with everything, can always quit.... Well I am about to move to Miami, FL so I was looking online around that area but I think i have to wait and see what I find once down there....

But if anyone knows a place let me know.

thanks again!!

-K8memphis Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 5:15pm

the 'dream' of doing cakes has the potential to bless and curse so hope your dream stays on the blessing side

 

but try & keep your cake drive satisfied by planning on doing a special cake  every quarter or something--every other month, once a month

 

so you always have one idea percolating right beneath the surface about to become a reality

 

what i'm trying to say is there's a way to fulfill that desire to create pastry or cake without the potentially frustrating financial/employment aspects

 

so keep creating!

 

so when you go to sleep at night/get up in the morning you have a creation to think about

 

a bucket list (apart from money/employment) for creating baking/pastry/cake stuff is what i mean--

 

i knew i could spit it out if i babbled long enough  icon_biggrin.gif

Diviana Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 9:42pm

You are absolutely right. It is a dream of mine to impress and amaze people with my creations. but the stress that comes along, the finance and being swallowed by the business... that kinda kills the drive. But so far I do bake a lot, my mom use to get frustrated because they would gain weight with my weekly hobby... so now i bake for birthdays, bake sales or for the church. Thats why I was wondering if I could try this out in a bakery, so I could still do what I like and not worry about financing...

Thank you for the advise! I think I could do that, impress my family with something fancy on the payday icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 10:04pm

and there's a strange phenomena that goes along with this baking thing--even the sharing of the humblest cookie, homliest cupcake

 

people will advise you left and right to start a baking business

 

y'know if you have most any other hobby people do not press you 'start a freaking business'

 

oh you like to jog--you should start a jogging business

 

oh man you're good with a yoyo-- you should start a yoyo business

 

oh you're a clever coin collector--you should start a business

 

oh you like to sky dive, rock climb, garden, bird watch, you should start a business

 

oh you like to call hogs, you should start a business

 

but if you bake they do so--be prepared and have keep having fun!!!

DeliciousDesserts Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 10:45pm

AHa ha ha a yo to business ....calling hogs! Wait, they give ribbons & cash prizes for hog callin'!

-K8memphis Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 10:57pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts 

Ha ha ha a yo to business ....calling hogs! Wait, they give ribbons & cash prizes for hog callin'!

 

 

oh, you like to go to the fair--you should start a business

 

icon_lol.gif

denetteb Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 5:00am

I have thought about the......."that is really good, you should sell them".....comment quite a bit.  It might not apply to yoyoing and skydiving and some of the other examples above but it does apply to a lot of the crafty, DIY type things I like to play around with.  What I think the person saying it really means is....."that is so good that someone would buy it", in their minds it is kind of the best, most flattering complement they can give you.  They really don't mean.....gosh, you should invest in lots of cake/stained glass/whatever tools and supplies and jump into selling your doodads without doing the proper research and business sense.  They really don't mean....start a business.  It really doesn't mean anything other than....great job.  Unfortunately too many hobbyists are taking it to heart and ending up putting their hearts and souls into making/selling cakes but not making any, or very much, money at it since they really haven't calculated ALL of their costs.  So they are taking time away from their families thinking they are supplementing their income but in reality really are only making a pittance.  When I had some extra stained glass things I brought them to a shop to sell.  Some of the things weren't selling after a while and I consciously decided to not reduce the price.  I had carefully timed how long it took to make a number of dragonflies and the expenses.  I figured my time was worth $15 an hour.  I priced them accordingly.  I decided I would rather gift them to friends/family than reduce the price below a $15 an hour labor rate and that is what I did.  I happily gave them away to loved ones rather than make less money on strangers.  A SAHM friend was trying to bring in some income without leaving home and decided to get into making and selling soap.  But she hated the selling end and didn't really love the making it either. And it still was time away from the kids while making it and selling it.   After working at it for quite a while she decided if she was doing something she didn't really love, she could just as well go back to being an oncall physical therapists which, even though she didn't love that either, at least would bring in a lot more money for her time.  We need to realize our time has value, whether it is being a mom or spouse or friend or baker.  Man, I better get off my soap box and go to bed.

Annabakescakes Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 6:44am
Quote:
Originally Posted by denetteb 

I have thought about the......."that is really good, you should sell them".....comment quite a bit.  It might not apply to yoyoing and skydiving and some of the other examples above but it does apply to a lot of the crafty, DIY type things I like to play around with.  What I think the person saying it really means is....."that is so good that someone would buy it", in their minds it is kind of the best, most flattering complement they can give you.  They really don't mean.....gosh, you should invest in lots of cake/stained glass/whatever tools and supplies and jump into selling your doodads without doing the proper research and business sense.  They really don't mean....start a business.  It really doesn't mean anything other than....great job.  Unfortunately too many hobbyists are taking it to heart and ending up putting their hearts and souls into making/selling cakes but not making any, or very much, money at it since they really haven't calculated ALL of their costs.  So they are taking time away from their families thinking they are supplementing their income but in reality really are only making a pittance.  When I had some extra stained glass things I brought them to a shop to sell.  Some of the things weren't selling after a while and I consciously decided to not reduce the price.  I had carefully timed how long it took to make a number of dragonflies and the expenses.  I figured my time was worth $15 an hour.  I priced them accordingly.  I decided I would rather gift them to friends/family than reduce the price below a $15 an hour labor rate and that is what I did.  I happily gave them away to loved ones rather than make less money on strangers.  A SAHM friend was trying to bring in some income without leaving home and decided to get into making and selling soap.  But she hated the selling end and didn't really love the making it either. And it still was time away from the kids while making it and selling it.   After working at it for quite a while she decided if she was doing something she didn't really love, she could just as well go back to being an oncall physical therapists which, even though she didn't love that either, at least would bring in a lot more money for her time.  We need to realize our time has value, whether it is being a mom or spouse or friend or baker.  Man, I better get off my soap box and go to bed.

Wow, that is deep! And well written and SO TRUE!!

Diviana Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 11:39am

ooook, thanks. was just looking for some ideas and advice not being laughed at. facebook drama everywhere

DeliciousDesserts Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 12:07pm

AOh Diviana,

I'm so sorry your feelings were hurt. I swear no one meant to do that. Please know we weren't laughing at you.

I absolutely was laughing at a yo yo business.

These people really have offered good advice...including that not everyone is cut out for this industry.

You stated the stress & finance part for you kills the fun parts of it. My advice is to either fin a partner who is very good at that side or consider staying hobbyist. The larger the business, the more stress.

tracyaem Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 12:33pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by denetteb 

I have thought about the......."that is really good, you should sell them".....comment quite a bit.  It might not apply to yoyoing and skydiving and some of the other examples above but it does apply to a lot of the crafty, DIY type things I like to play around with.  What I think the person saying it really means is....."that is so good that someone would buy it", in their minds it is kind of the best, most flattering complement they can give you.  They really don't mean.....gosh, you should invest in lots of cake/stained glass/whatever tools and supplies and jump into selling your doodads without doing the proper research and business sense.  They really don't mean....start a business.  It really doesn't mean anything other than....great job.  Unfortunately too many hobbyists are taking it to heart and ending up putting their hearts and souls into making/selling cakes but not making any, or very much, money at it since they really haven't calculated ALL of their costs.  So they are taking time away from their families thinking they are supplementing their income but in reality really are only making a pittance.  When I had some extra stained glass things I brought them to a shop to sell.  Some of the things weren't selling after a while and I consciously decided to not reduce the price.  I had carefully timed how long it took to make a number of dragonflies and the expenses.  I figured my time was worth $15 an hour.  I priced them accordingly.  I decided I would rather gift them to friends/family than reduce the price below a $15 an hour labor rate and that is what I did.  I happily gave them away to loved ones rather than make less money on strangers.  A SAHM friend was trying to bring in some income without leaving home and decided to get into making and selling soap.  But she hated the selling end and didn't really love the making it either. And it still was time away from the kids while making it and selling it.   After working at it for quite a while she decided if she was doing something she didn't really love, she could just as well go back to being an oncall physical therapists which, even though she didn't love that either, at least would bring in a lot more money for her time.  We need to realize our time has value, whether it is being a mom or spouse or friend or baker.  Man, I better get off my soap box and go to bed.

 

Very well said!

 

I got caught up in the "you should sell cakes" phenomena too and for a few months couldn't understand why I was loosing so much money! I now have a well defined price structure and don't stray from it. Time away from my family is important and has a price. I still get plenty of orders, so people are willing to pay. And those that aren't, no worries - sometimes I'm glad when a client turns down a quote and I have a free weekend! :)

-K8memphis Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 2:21pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diviana 

ooook, thanks. was just looking for some ideas and advice not being laughed at. facebook drama everywhere

 

no not at all--we are all agreeing here

 

it's that well-intentioned people inadvertently push someone with a passion/skill/talent to market it

 

clearly i started getting silly -- but that was to illustrate our so helpful friends/family who push us to market to market  

 

when taking it to market is an apple orchard on rolling acres

 

and we are simply making a great glass of orange juice

 

two mighty different things--worlds apart

 

i said it for contrast to help you see it better and to deflect it

 

so you could see another angle to 'why do i feel compelled to do this'

denetteb Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 3:36pm

Diviana, I certainly wasn't trying to  poke fun at you, more responding the the tangent the thread took on starting a business out of caking.  I think you are right on for looking at getting a job decorating to get your practice rather than making an immediate small business out of it.  So many people think they are making money at their hobby but really haven't figured their real costs so the income is an illusion.  I think working at any other bakery is a great way to get more experience in decorating and time management and sanitation, etc, etc. 

Birdyy Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 5:58pm

Hi Diana,

You can also try looking for a job on Indeed.com. It's a free service for finding jobs in your area. I use it to search for bakery and pastry positions. I receive an email every day if new jobs are posted in my area, but you can also just check the website whenever you want updates too.

Good luck!

Robyn

Quote by %username% on %date%

%body%