Strawberry Cake Is Not Pink

Baking By vcheddar Updated 25 Feb 2013 , 5:45pm by AtomicBakes

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 11:50pm
post #31 of 39

I just make a light white cake, and mix in powdered freeze dried strawberries, and some reduced strawberry 'juice'. It doesn't come out the fake bubble gum pink that people are used to from boxed mixes, but a really pretty pale pink. The powder gives it a really good punch of strawberry flavour, without using anything artificial.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 8:32pm
post #32 of 39

AI've got to get me some freeze dried strawberries! How much do you use?

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 2:48am
post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeeflower 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl 

Not being made of money, and not having the time to juice a bunch of strawberries, and strain and reduce the juice, I use a combination of seedless strawberry jam and imitation strawberry extract  in my strawberry marble, and use a white cake as the base, and a few drops of McCormick red food coloring to keep the pink batter pink.

You do realize that Jell-O, like any other gelatine, is basically boiled-down collagen, whether from bones, hides, horns, or hooves.

You mentioned you use imitation strawberry extract. What is in that? 

McCormick Imitation Strawberry Extract.

Ingredients: Water, alcohol (27%), extractives of strawberry, apple juice concentrate, lactic acid, caramel color, natural and artificial flavors, propylene glycol, and FD&C Red No. 40.

Which is to say, it seems to be more real than imitation vanilla (which I refuse to use) is. And I generally only use it in combination with seedless jam.

(Note that jellies, jams, and preserves generally do not contain gelatin, but rather pectin, a mixture of complex polysaccarides [polymerized sugars]. And common American puddings, like the Jell-O and Snack Pack brands, are starch-based.)

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 2:57am
post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

I've got to get me some freeze dried strawberries! How much do you use?

About a cup in my recipe, but it makes a ton of batter, so probably 1/3 to 1/2 cup for the typical cake recipe.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 3:48am
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumdiddlycakes 

About a cup in my recipe, but it makes a ton of batter, so probably 1/3 to 1/2 cup for the typical cake recipe.

Thanks, I have never even seen them in the store, unless you count the ones in the baby food aisle ;-)

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 8:55pm
post #36 of 39

I think I've seen them in stores that sell camping supplies, and in science museum gift shops. There's a whole line of freeze-dried foods inspired by the space program, with a picture of (if memory serves) a spacewalking astronaut on the package, and I think I've seen freeze-dried strawberries among their offerings.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 9:12pm
post #37 of 39

I always squirt a little bit of pink Americolor gel into my strawberry cake to make it pink!

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 2:33am
post #38 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl 

I think I've seen them in stores that sell camping supplies, and in science museum gift shops. There's a whole line of freeze-dried foods inspired by the space program, with a picture of (if memory serves) a spacewalking astronaut on the package, and I think I've seen freeze-dried strawberries among their offerings.

The first time I ever tried it, it was because I found a pack of freeze dried strawberries in my husband's camping gear, lol. I bought them a few times from outdoor stores, but that got pretty pricey.

AtomicBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AtomicBakes Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 5:45pm
post #39 of 39

Strawberry is my step-daughter's favorite cake flavor, so I have made a few. Without food color or jello, mine has a tendency towards a pale gray color once cooked. I personally didn't care for the version I made containing jello. I am doing her baby shower in mid-March, so I am going to try a Pink Lady Cake this time. I will use a tiny bit of color to make it pink, but I would totally try beet juice in the future. It is in a lot of the organic foods I eat for color and you don't notice a flavor at all (of course, I LOVE beets!). Also, for strawberry cakes, don't forget that Lorann makes a strawberry oil. I'm ordering some this week and will return to post how the cake comes out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%