Guinea Pig Cake!

Decorating By sixbittersweets Updated 2 Feb 2013 , 11:43pm by CarlaG

sixbittersweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixbittersweets Posted 2 Feb 2013 , 10:06pm
post #1 of 8

Hi all!  My good friend E has a birthday coming up, and she'd love a cake made to look like one of her 6 guinea pigs (photo of some of them attached below).  I've looked at all guinea pig cake photos I can find on Google image search and I've found a few similar to what I'd like to make but no guidance is provided with any of those (photos uploaded below as well).

Does anyone have tips/suggestions for making a guinea pig cake?  I think the furrier ones are way cuter, so I'm going to make one with fur.  Haven't even decided if I should go for buttercream frosting or fondant for the fur.  Buttercream has great texture but I don't want it to look messy and detract from the whole.  On the other hand, I don't simply want to do color cutouts for fondant and draw a few lines to suggest fur.  I want the texture to be good.  The Pirate Guinea Pig cake inspiration photo below makes up for the minimal texturing of the fondant with blended colors.  Unfortunately, I don't have an airbrush so I think I'll need to add in more raised texture.  

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Xiaolu

My friend's guinea pigs

The cakes I found for inspiration

7 replies
CarlaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarlaG Posted 2 Feb 2013 , 10:36pm
post #2 of 8

What a cute idea for a cake! When I made my mother's dog for her birthday I used thin pieces of fondant, gray and white, then blended them together using a sculpting tool to get the look of her fur. Maybe something like that would work for you.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Feb 2013 , 10:39pm
post #3 of 8

aww how cute!

i would do blackie with the pink & black nose--

you could get that white and black fur by dusting the black 'fur' with powdered sugar

put the sugar in a tea strainer and tap the side gently with one finger--you could get that effect--or any small strainer--

http://www.starwest-botanicals.com/product/1-tea-strainer.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed&gclid=CKud8PzWmLUCFQaCnQoddCsAPw#tabs

and with real small scissors you could snip fondant fur

or pipe it with a grass tube then overpipe with a real small tube to make it whispier

sixbittersweets Posted 2 Feb 2013 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks to you both!

@CarlaG -- could you please tell me what sculpting tool would be used to create the fur texture?  I've never done anything like this before, so I really would have no idea where to start looking =D.

CarlaG Posted 2 Feb 2013 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 8

It's the Wilton Veining Tool. Just Google it in images and you'll see it. Actually, anything with a tapered end would work...like a bamboo skewer. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Feb 2013 , 11:22pm
post #6 of 8

Carla,

that cake is so well done

is that a shih tzu?? by any chance??

if my dog in my avatar had his bangs cut he would look just like that--only brown ;)

awesome job on the fur and very cool cake--your Mom was happy!

sixbittersweets Posted 2 Feb 2013 , 11:42pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks, Carla!

And I agree with K8memphis that your cake is awesome!

CarlaG Posted 2 Feb 2013 , 11:43pm
post #8 of 8

Oh my gosh! I'm so honored by the compliment! That cake was a last minute, crunch time, throw together kind of cake since I didn't think I was going to be able to make the trip in time. And yes, mom's favorite child is my little sister Ellie, the shih tzu. LOL! I've noticed your avatar...too cute!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%