Make Fondant???

Baking By TheMagicOfLove Updated 3 Feb 2013 , 3:21pm by TheMagicOfLove

TheMagicOfLove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheMagicOfLove Posted 2 Feb 2013 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 9

AGuys please help! I'm loving the idea of rolling out and making my own colorful fondant... So can anyone please give my the exact measurements and the way, and just every small detail on how to make some Awsome fondant, and how to color it ofcourse!!!! :) :) :)

8 replies
mom2two Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2two Posted 2 Feb 2013 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 9

AWhen I color mine, I use the food color gel. They are very concentrated so it doesn't take a lot. They are by Wilton and I found mine in the cake decorating section of my local Walmart. My cousins swear by marshmallow fondant which is good.

TheMagicOfLove Posted 3 Feb 2013 , 1:12pm
post #3 of 9

AOk, thanks :) but do they taste at All? Or are fondants in general just tastless?

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 3 Feb 2013 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 9

AIt tastes sweet. Pretty neutral. For me, it's more about texture. Sort of a soft taffy texture. You can add whatever flavoring you like.

TheMagicOfLove Posted 3 Feb 2013 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 9

AYeah, but does it make a difference what color I use? Or are all of them the same flavor?

melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 3 Feb 2013 , 1:52pm
post #6 of 9

The color won't have a flavor ( unless you add too much it turns bitter ).

If you would like to flavor your fondant I suggest using a couple drops of Lorann oil in the flavor you would like to achieve .

TheMagicOfLove Posted 3 Feb 2013 , 1:55pm
post #7 of 9

AOk, thanks :) so how much of the coloring should I put, like one tsp?

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 3 Feb 2013 , 2:28pm
post #8 of 9

"Ok, thanks icon_smile.gif so how much of the coloring should I put, like one tsp?"

It very much depends on what colour you are going for.  If you want a pale, subtle colour, then you only need a tiny amount (most people use toothpicks or souchlike to get a little amount of colour).  The darker/deeper the shade then the more colour you will need to add.  Paste and gels are more concentrated so you need much less colouring.

Remember, you can add more colour but you can't take it out again, so go slowly and make sure you knead it through thoroughly.  Certain colours tend to deepen over time too, so it can be helpful to leave your coloured fondant (well wrapped, obviously) overnight to make sure that you end up with the colour that you want.

Really strong colours like black or bright red are very tricky to get right and require a lot of colouring. This may alter the texture of the fondant and make it too sticky - you can just add some more icing sugar or cornflour to get it back to the right texture.  As Melanie says, too much colour can make the fondant taste bitter, although you can get various "no-taste" colourings to counter-act that.

I would suggest you get a few different gel or paste colours, mix up a half-batch of fondant, and play around.  Split your fondant into several balls and mix in different amounts of different colours until you feel confident.  If you end up with some nice colours, you can always use these little bits with cutters to make some spare flowers/stars etc to throw on some cupcakes in an emergency!

TheMagicOfLove Posted 3 Feb 2013 , 3:21pm
post #9 of 9

AThat's what I needed to hear :) thank U so much

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%