How Do I Achieve This Gold?

Decorating By CarlaG Updated 23 Mar 2013 , 5:16pm by -K8memphis

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 7:18pm
post #31 of 35

I have that glaze too, in all the varieties you mention. It will not give you that look (not even close!), and it's not for using over butter cream. It's very sticky too, and if you aren't careful, it will streak and smudge and look goopy and yuchy. 

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 1:31am
post #32 of 35

I'm sorry, I'm still a bit new to all of the many products out there. It's just the only gold, aside from the beautiful airbrush colors that I knew was seemingly bright and edible.  I did read from the bottle that it was meant for fondant and I realize the cake was buttercream.  I too was looking for a truer gold and silver color.

JennRunn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennRunn Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 4:37am
post #33 of 35

A

Original message sent by -K8memphis

for what it's worth--i was checking out duff's spray metalics at the store just now--it's made with mica

and it did not say non toxic or anything like that that i found on the label

i'm not saying it doesn't specify i'm saying i didn't find it on there

so that's out for edible (for me anyway)

i think ashleabrown's got it right--gold leaf would do it but yeah on the right smart pricey side

but mostly i think we need to dial down the expectations one client at a time

i think we have all gotten far afield of [I]edible[/I] on our work huh

i mean i love the real metallics but it ain't food/ain't safe either

but i mean we could get around it by doing that cake as dummy cake

and make sure all the metallic pieces on other tiers get discarded

but that kinda gets old quick too--who wants to police the party

it's a difficult question-- where i think one should come down on the side of food safety

but it's an individual decision to make

I agree! I get so frustrated with the "disco dust" and such that is made for cakes but made out if plastic!? WTH! I am very passionate about trying to make everything on my cakes as edible as possible, down to not even wires in flowers and such. I keep thinking about what a waste of sugar ingredients in those things as well!

JennRunn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennRunn Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 4:41am
post #34 of 35

A

Original message sent by CarlaG

[ATTACHMENT=305]image.jpg (139k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Can anyone tell me if this gold was painted on buttercream? It looks like I can see brush strokes but I'm not sure. Would this be possible with a smbc or would I have to use a crusting buttercream?

Okay, is it just me, or does this look like this to anyone else : It looks to me like it is sprayed straight on a cake dummy..... If you look close you can see little marks on the edge of the styrofoam.....

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 5:16pm
post #35 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennRunn 

Okay, is it just me, or does this look like this to anyone else : It looks to me like it is sprayed straight on a cake dummy..... If you look close you can see little marks on the edge of the styrofoam.....

jenn--it does has some definite syrofoamy texture looking spots

good eye!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%