Attaching 2 Loop Bow To Side Of Cake Tier

Decorating By gigiel Updated 1 Feb 2013 , 9:49pm by gigiel

gigiel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gigiel Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 9:42pm
post #1 of 3

What would be the best way to attach a two loop bow to the side of a tiered cake?  The cake will be iced in buttercream (not fondant which I'm guessing would be easier to attach a bow to.)  Put floral wire on the back of the bow?  Just don't want it to fall off in transport.  The bow will be 2" - 2 1/2" wide & about 6" across attached to the side of a 8" tier.  Thanks in advance. : )

2 replies
SaltCakeCity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaltCakeCity Posted 1 Feb 2013 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 3

Hey gigiel,

I usually "glue" my marshmallow fondant bows to fondant with just a little water, maybe some buttercream if I'm afraid it'll be heavy, and if I'm really nervous about it staying, I use a toothpick pushed into the thickest part of the bow and then push it deep into the cake (you can put a little buttercream behind it as glue as well). I'm assuming this should work on buttercream as well. I'm sure there are stronger "glues" but I've never had a problem with a bow falling off of my cakes. I hope that helps!

gigiel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gigiel Posted 1 Feb 2013 , 9:49pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks!  I have placed bows down where they rest on the cake board or on the cake tier below, but have never placed one in the center of the tier with no other support to hold it up except the 'glue.'  (it won't be resting on a cake board or a tier below [placed on the bottom of a tier] but in the middle of the tier.)  Wondered about melted 'candy melts' or royal icing.  Just want to be sure she gets home with the bow still attached to the cake, making sure that it is securely fixed to the cake.  Thanks for your advice! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%