Wine Bottle Cake

Decorating By dimbim Updated 8 Feb 2013 , 7:27am by dimbim

dimbim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dimbim Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 11:25pm
post #1 of 12

Hi all, I'm planning to make a rose wine bottle cake eg. like the one in the link below;

http://cdn001.cakecentral.com/c/c5/900x900px-LL-c585cb93_gallery7643551347940109.jpeg

Please does anyone have an idea on how to go about this especially the bottle color and making the bottle quite shiny. Also the case, will it be hollow (Panelled) fondant and just filled with grated fondant or something or will it also be cake?

Will highly appreciate your response, kindly reply if you've made a cake like this before.

Many thanks

dimbim

11 replies
cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 12

AI have made a cake exactly like this before. It was so easy. This is what I did:

5 days before the cake was needed I took a thin piece of black rolled fondant and draped it over a wine bottle that was laying on its side. Then I trimmed the fondant all the way around the bottle half way down the bottle. This way when the fondant bottle was laying on the cake it looked like exactly half the bottle was out of the packing. Remember to dust the side of the fondant the bottle is touching with a generous amount of cornstarch. Attach the label.

Also 5 days before the cake was needed I cut the side and end panels out of fondant. I scored the fondant with modeling tool so it looked like wood grain. I them took a tip 3 and gently pushed the small end into the fondant at each corner to give the look of nail holes. Remember to cut the pieces long enough so they slightly overlap, just like a real box.

Bake the cakes as normal. Ice as normal. Apply side and end panels.

Take a block of white chocolate and shred it. I used a cheese grater for this.

Lay white chocolate shavings on top of cake.

With a fat painting brush, brush the bottle with vodka. That will make the bottle shine. I put a TINY amount of gold dust in the vodka, the bottle then had a nice shimmer to it. Allow the fondant to dry (couple minutes). Remove fondant from bottle. Nestle fondant bottle in shavings.

I also put a yellow piece of fondant that I them painted gold on the bottle for the foil part on real bottles.

I didn't use anything to stiffen up the fondant because I wanted to be able to take it off the bottle without fear of breaking or cracking the fondant.

dimbim Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 9:56pm
post #3 of 12

Wow!!!!!, Thank you so so much for taking the time to respond and for your specially detailed description, your great effort is highly appreciated.

If i get you very well, it means the bottle is not really a cake, just like the icing. The cake is the rectangle covered by the panel, am i right Please????

Thank you again!!!

dimbim

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 10:09pm
post #4 of 12

I did one of these last month for my MIL's birthday...  you can see a pic of the cake and close-up on my site:

http://www.patacake-parties.com/Birthday/Birthday.html  (top row)

I pretty much did the same as cai0311...  but I used black flowerpaste mixed with dark green sugarpaste to make the bottle.

I covered the bottle in clingfilm (Saran?) and then dusted with icing sugar before putting the paste over it and trimmed it half way.  I left it to set for a few days, but once or twice, I just very gently released/lifted it from the bottle, just to make sure it would come off OK.

Here they are, still on the bottles for support, drying...  you can see the greeny/black colour...

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i163/Relznik/IMG_1790.jpg

I got the sheen on the bottle by using confectioner's glaze, mixed with the tiniest bit of claret colouring, just to give it a slightly wine colour.  I gave it several coats of glaze, letting each one dry before applying the next. 

Make sure you do let the panels of the box dry before applying...  you can see mine weren't set enough and are slightly bowing.

Hope this helps.

Suzanne x

dimbim Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 10:24pm
post #5 of 12

Dear Suzanne, great thanks to you and your time and response, i am most grateful. I am sorry i only saw the picture of the bottles drying but not the actual cake. Please, may you kindly send the link again?? Thanks

Just like i asked cai0311, it means only the cake covered by the panel is the actual cake.

Thanks again and very warm regards

dimbim

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 10:50pm
post #6 of 12

Yes, only the box is actual cake.  And remember that the panels of the side of the box need to come up further than the cake itself.  The bottle is just hollow gumpaste formed over a bottle.

Here's a link to my cake on FB

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2875119/a/3276473/wine-bottle-in-box-crate-for-my-wonderful-mother-in-laws-75th-birthday-luncheon-today-its-a-12-x-7-rich-fruit-cake-covered-in-marzipan-and-then-the-box-panels-were-a-50-50-mix-of-pastillage-and-modelling-paste-the-bottle-is-entirely-sugar/

Suzanne x

dimbim Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 10:58pm
post #7 of 12

Wow, beautiful indeed!!!, many thanks again. I think time is really against me for this type of cake now as cake is needed for sunday. It was for a good customer and very very short notice. I'm now thinking of making it a stand up wine bottle. I've made a feeding bottle before, i can use that knowledge for the bottle body, my challenge is for the neck. I'm still trying to figure it out.

Thanks again, I appreciate your response

dimbim

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 1 Feb 2013 , 12:13am
post #8 of 12

I made one two years ago. Had a choco mold of a wine bottle, smeared a layer od choc on the inside of the mold and then filled the mold with cake pop mix. Let set in fridge and unmolded, cover with fondant. That way, the bottle is not hollow, but edible. As I had made a Schwarzwaelder Kirschpop (Choco cake with black cherries and Kirsch(alcohol)) especially the ladies loved it, tasted like fine pralinees

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 1 Feb 2013 , 2:38am
post #9 of 12

AThe neck isn't difficult at all. The bottle will shape the fondant neck for you.

dimbim Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 11:35am
post #10 of 12

Dear all, Thanks alot for your responses. Due to lack to time, i realised i could go for the bottle in a case as the panels and bottle mould may not dry properly. I however made the stading bottle, please see link below.

The cake part is made from 5" round cake about 9" in height. The narrow part is made from RKT about 4.5" high and covered in fondant. I would have loved to make the actual lable from edible sheet but time was so against me to order one as i do not have the printer. All in all, i am about 80% pleased with the end result, i think the neck could be much smoother.

Many thanks again for your time and suggestions

dimbim

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=437677756302763&set=a.262524963818044.56258.139628942774314&type=1&ref=nf

Phyl_Marie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phyl_Marie Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 5:42am
post #11 of 12

I think your wine bottle cake is spectacular.  I've been asked to make one similar.  Excellent job on short notice.icon_smile.gif

dimbim Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 7:27am
post #12 of 12

Dear Phyl_Marier,

Thanks for your nice comments. Its really was not so difficult, although i cheated a little. i covered the neck and the body separately and covered the joint with the ribbon. You can give yours more detail, perhaps dust/glaze to  look more like a real bottle. Good luck with your work, will be more than happy to hand in tips if needed.

Cheers

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%