Cake Pops And Buttercream...

Decorating By raystreats Updated 10 Mar 2013 , 6:44am by bnbmom

raystreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raystreats Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 7

Hey, I'm new to this site and fairly new to baking. I would like to make cake pops, and have done so using the candy melts. I find anything that has to have time to harden is too hard for some little kids. I am looking to make batman cake pops for my nephews birthday party, but i dont want to use the candy melts or melted chocolate. What I was wondering is can i cover the cake pops in buttercream using a spatula sorta deal, or would buttercream not work at all. Please let me know if you have done so and what the outcome was. I don't need to know how to make cake pops using buttercream I want to cover them in buttercream.

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 7
  1. too hard for little kids to make
  2. too hard for little kids to eat
  3. too hard for them to wait

if #1 buttercream is more difficult than choco

if #2--you can add paramount crystals to the choco to lighten it up for a better, less crisp/hard bite

if #3--i agree!!!icon_biggrin.gif but just stick 'em in the frige for 5 mins

and you could cover them with a glaze prolly but i'm not a cake popper

raystreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raystreats Posted 1 Feb 2013 , 3:08pm
post #3 of 7

Its kind of they are too hard, but its more for decorating purposes. I work better with buttercream and think I could do a better job doing buttercream designs then candy melts. also i don't even know how you would decorate them after the candy melts or chocolate is on them.

tahiti33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tahiti33 Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 5:16pm
post #4 of 7

I came across your post by chance, but I am a cake decorator/Wilton instructor. I can't think of a way that you could cover the entire cake pop in buttercream, you could try a spatula but it wouldn't be very smooth. or you could try a spatula, let the buttercream dry and maybe try to roll it in your hands to smooth it out before you put the stick in it (the Wilton buttercream recipe w/o butter that uses just shortening will dry in 10-15 minutes). As an FYI, if you used chocolate or candy melts, you can use buttercream or royal icing to decorate the cake pops once the candy/chocolate dries.

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 5:29pm
post #5 of 7

why not cover with ganache or the kind of fondant used for petit four? This would give you a smooth coating, but still be soft enough, not to mention delish!

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 6:19am
post #6 of 7

I was also thinking that poured fondant might be a good option, I think I'll actually give that a go myself because I'm making some pops shortly for friends that won't want to eat candy melts. 

bnbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bnbmom Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 6:44am
post #7 of 7

AOh wow poured fondant! Thats a good idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%