Need Help With Silver Around Sunflower

Decorating By lovervenus Updated 6 May 2013 , 5:13pm by lovervenus

lovervenus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovervenus Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 10

I have a bride  asking me to make this cake. The only problem I am having is the silver items standing up around the sunflower. I am hoping that someone can help me figure out how to make them or buy them? Please if anyone could help me I would be so thankful! Hope you all have a great day. 

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 10

they just look like little buds/blobs on stems/wires

on the left the second one up--

it looks like there's a cluster of them or there's some feathery petals around it?

CherylA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherylA Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 10

At Michaels I saw little charms in the cake section.  Maybe buy wire in floral dept (comes in pks of different gauges) cut to length and put a loop with charm in loop.  I think the charms were part of Duff's collection but it has been a while since I saw them - even Hobby Lobby has some great cake items.  Good luck

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 10

for what it's worth--the sunflowers are incongrous to that blingy design to me

but whatever the bride wants of course but it's cross purposes to moi

i think the cake designer feels it too and that's what the silver buds  are for--

to oomphy up the rustic sunflowers closer to the bling

love each element though and very pretty cake

lovervenus Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 4:49pm
post #5 of 10

Thank you so much. I will go check it out and see what I can come up with. 

I agree with the comment on these silver things. I do not like them but it is what the bride wants. I have tried to change her mind but she likes this cake. Thanks again for the help. Hope you are both having a great day.

Margaret393 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margaret393 Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 5:09pm
post #6 of 10

Hi lovervenus

The silver items standing up around the Sunflower cake could be made as follows:

• Cut a length of 33-gauge silver florestry wire into even lenghts and make a small hook at one end of each wire
  • Take 5 tiny balls of white gumpaste and apply a little glue to hooked end of the wires, then push them into the balls of paste. (use glue very sparingly)
  • Roll each ball into a cone shape and leave to dry up right - stand them up in a prepared dry oasis. ( make holes for wires and insert lenghts of plastic straws into holes)
  • Spray with silver mist colour, or paint with edible silver lustre dust mixed with a little vodka and allow to dry.
  • To asemble - position the 5 finished wires a few inches or higher above the level of each sunflower and secure with white floristry tape
  • Stretch out the wires around the sunflower - as seen in the cake picture you uploaded, and trim to required size 

Good luck with the cake! I am sure that you will make a great job of it. Let me know how you get on.

Margaret939

lovervenus Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 11:17pm
post #7 of 10

Thank you. I am sure going to try that also. I thank you so much for your help. Hope you have a great day. Thanks again

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 12:01am
post #8 of 10

If you colour the little blobs grey before you paint them silver you get a better silver colour. 

lovervenus Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 6:23pm
post #9 of 10

That is a great idea will have to try it. I wonder if that would work better with the fondant pearls that I am making. Thanks again for the help. Hope you have a great day.

lovervenus Posted 6 May 2013 , 5:13pm
post #10 of 10

I tried to make the silver around the flowers. Every time they were to big, and not looking great around the sunflowers. The bride bought a topper with crystal's in it so talked to the bride and we came up with crystal's on wire to look like dew drops. This is the final cake. Thanks for all your help.This was for a wonderful couple. She gave me a picture of a cake with this design and asked me to make one like it. Thanks for looking

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%