Heating Core Or Flower Nail?

Baking By Merry2go Updated 24 Feb 2014 , 4:37am by Mamabakes3

Merry2go Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Merry2go Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 2:01am
post #1 of 18

What is your preferred item to use when baking larger cakes a flower nail or heating core?

TIA, Mary

17 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 2:02am
post #2 of 18

I use flower nails.  They don't remove as much cake as a heating core.    And they are easier to store.   I keep about 8 of them in my drawer.  

lakeshocker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lakeshocker Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 2:36am
post #3 of 18

AHow do you use the nails. And do you need one in a 11x15 pan

Merry2go Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 3:31am
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshocker 

How do you use the nails. And do you need one in a 11x15 pan

I generally use either the core or nail on any cake 10" or larger.  To  use a nail you place the nail in the pan (flat side down so the nail is sticking up.)before you pour in the batter. Spray the nail with non-stick spray first. 

I was just curious on what people like to use more.  I used the core more since  was taught that way but I get tired of working with the plug.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 12:29pm
post #5 of 18

I have the Ateco heat core nails which have flat bottoms and don’t rust, but are similar to flower nails.    To keep the nails in place during baking, cut  parchment to fit the bottom of the pan.  Poke holes in the paper where you want the nails to be.  Grease and flour your pan.  Set the nails in the pan, pointed side up of course, and place the parchment paper over the nails, so they poke through the holes.  (I have never bothered to grease the nails).  The parchment holds the nails in place, and after baking when you turn out the cake, they are easily removed as the base is outside of the paper.  For an 11 x 15 pan I use 2 heat core nails.  I also use bake even strips around my pans.  I am not sure if all of that makes any difference, but it is so easy to do, I always do it.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 12:41pm
post #6 of 18

AI use both. I use nails 2 nails in a half sheet. I use nails in 10" & 12" but I use the core for 14" & 16".

Merry2go Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 3:12pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by yortma 

I have the Ateco heat core nails which have flat bottoms and don’t rust, but are similar to flour nails.  

I'll have to look into these.  I didn't use the  nails so much because i had to keep replacing them because of the rust.  Thanks for the tip!

Mary

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 4:22pm
post #8 of 18

Yortma - Thanks for suggesting the parchment paper/flower nail combo!  I've used the flower nail but hate sometimes getting it out!!  Love it when people share their tips!!

Theresa

Merry2go Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 4:56pm
post #9 of 18

Me too!  I love this site!

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 6:56pm
post #10 of 18

The flower nails I have always seem to rust.  What brands do you all have?

Merry2go Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 7:04pm
post #11 of 18

I've only used Wilton.  I'm looking into using other brands to see if this happens with them too.

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 7:08pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by yortma 

I have the Ateco heat core nails which have flat bottoms and don’t rust, but are similar to flour nails.    To keep the nails in place during baking, cut  parchment to fit the bottom of the pan.  Poke holes in the paper where you want the nails to be.  Grease and flour your pan.  Set the nails in the pan, pointed side up of course, and place the parchment paper over the nails, so they poke through the holes.  (I have never bothered to grease the nails).  The parchment holds the nails in place, and after baking when you turn out the cake, they are easily removed as the base is outside of the paper.  For an 11 x 15 pan I use 2 heat core nails.  I also use bake even strips around my pans.  I am not sure if all of that makes any difference, but it is so easy to do, I always do it.

Okay, I should have read this better.  Sorry for asking a questions that had been answered.  =)

lakeshocker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lakeshocker Posted 1 Feb 2013 , 10:35pm
post #13 of 18

AI baked an 11x15 cake this week for a girl at work and I didn't use anything. It baked great! I baked it at 325 degrees for 43 minutes. Perfect!! It was done all the way through. I took a gamble and it worked, but, I have to bake a 12x18 next week. Not sure bout it. Any ideas??

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 1 Feb 2013 , 11:34pm
post #14 of 18

I use the flower nails for any cake larger than 8".  I never have sprayed or prepared them in any way and have not had a problem with cake sticking and tearing where they are.located.  For an 11x15 I use 2, each one setting about 1/3 of the way in from the end of the pan and for a 12x18 I normally use 2 or 3 depending on how many pans I have going into the oven.  As far as rusting is concerned, the shaft of the Wilton metal flower nail is actually a nail and it will rust.  Do not soak them for too long in water and use a tooth brush to remove the cake where the nail connects to the top and then I run my thumb nail around it if I see any missed cake.  Dry them well and there won't be any rust.  I hate the heating core as it removes so much cake that has to be put back in and I think the flower nails are so much easier and I put mine in after the batter has been put in the pan. 

lsaravia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsaravia Posted 5 Feb 2014 , 8:14pm
post #15 of 18

Avery helpful! thank you!

SassyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SassyCake Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 3:51am
post #16 of 18

So glad I found this post! Great information, thank you!! :grin:

Walkinmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Walkinmomma Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 2:52pm
post #17 of 18

I use the Ateco heating cores-I do not like flower nails as they do not fit flat against the bottom of the pan, are aluminum versus stainless steel, and leave a "divot" in the cake bottom.  The Ateco are totally flat, stainless steel, and remove with virtually no footprint. With proper care they will last a lifetime.  I recommend them to all my students.

Mamabakes3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamabakes3 Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 4:37am
post #18 of 18

AThanks so much for the great info! I love this site! I just baked my first large (10 in round 3 in deep) cake and wondered why the center of it sank! Now I know! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%