The Unrealistic Client

Business By cakesdivine Updated 10 Feb 2013 , 8:39pm by howsweet

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 7:07pm
post #151 of 157

A

Original message sent by Annabakescakes

Too bad we can't just eliminate all the under privets and see if it helps ;-)

that was supposed to say "under-pricers" damn you autocorrect... It tried to change it to "proceed" this time ;-)

wespam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wespam Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 12:30pm
post #152 of 157

Hopefully this puts a little chuckle in your day. Had a call from a girl yesterday to my custom shop who wanted a 3 tiered baby shower cake to feed 100 guests. I gave her my quote based on serving size for buttercream and she went silent. She then says, 'I can't pay that!  A lady I work with sells cakes from her home and quoted me $30.00 for a 3 tier cake but she can't do it next week.'

I wanted to laugh and scream at the same time but instead I gently explained that as a legal established business we have rent, utilities, insurance inspection fees, etc. I can't even purchase the ingredients for that price. I don't know of any business in our town that sells cakes for 60 cents a serving, even restaurants. Talk about unrealistic - way under pricing.  

wespam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wespam Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 1:35pm
post #153 of 157

I need to edit this to say $60.00 for a 3 tier. NEED more coffee!

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 2:34pm
post #154 of 157

Even at $60 that's insane!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 9:40pm
post #155 of 157

And THAT is why people are confused about the price of custom cakes.

homecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homecake Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 9:44am
post #156 of 157

I'm not sure how much 60 dollars is ( I live in Ireland) but I'm betting it probably wouldn't even cover the cost of ingredients and materials!!!!!

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 8:39pm
post #157 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar 

I write blog posts weeks in advance and schedule them, so this wasn't written in response to this thread, but it applies.  http://www.acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2013/02/weird-undercutting-practices.html

The illegal baker's activities that Melanie is dealing with are proof that this kind of thing does affect the market and trains customers to think prices should be lower than a living wage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar 

And THAT is why people are confused about the price of custom cakes.

Yep and yep. Sure there are the other factors mentioned by somebody up there, but this is the one that speaks the loudest because it's the customer's pocket book talking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%