Smash Cakery Posted 29 Jan 2013 , 5:43am
post #1 of

I just recently went public (created a website and a facebook page) for my cake and cookie making and decorating, and have started to receive a lot of orders for cookies, and some for cakes. For the cakes, I have already confirmed three cakes, at which I feel I have undercharged the customer, but I am not sure.

These are the orders:

I priced a 10" square (6 inch high) single tiered buttercream covered cake, with detailed swirl piping and pea**** feathers at $45.

I priced a 14" round (6 inch high) single tiered fondant covered and painted with flannel print cake, with "tool" accents at $75. I plan to do the tools in royal icing transfers, so those should be fairly quick to produce.

What do you think of my prices? I took the advice of a baker across town who has helped me with a few things, and now after entering everything into cakeboss (just purchased today) I am having doubts as to my prices. I will definitely do these existing orders as they are confirmed, i am simply wondering about future orders?

I am in southeast texas, and i know for a fact that this area isn't afraid to pay for cakes.

8 replies
Godot Posted 29 Jan 2013 , 5:51am
post #2 of

You should be having HUGE doubts about those prices. What you are essentially doing is paying clients to take the cakes off your hands.

If you know for a FACT that people in your area aren't afraid to pay for cakes why are your pricing them so low?

Smash Cakery Posted 29 Jan 2013 , 5:58am
post #3 of

I didn't realize that they would pay more, until I had already been quoting. What would you charge for those?

I have seen a couple of other bakers' websites in my area, and one baker lists a $150 minimum on any cake order, and said that she charges $5 a serving for fondant cakes.

This woke me up, big time!

jason_kraft Posted 29 Jan 2013 , 6:28am
post #4 of

AQuadruple your prices and you might be closer to market value for those cakes.

Annabakescakes Posted 29 Jan 2013 , 7:16am
post #5 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

Quadruple your prices and you might be closer to market value for those cakes.

I have to agree with Jason on this one. 

KoryAK Posted 29 Jan 2013 , 6:38pm
post #6 of

A 10" square by 6" high is 50 servings... for $45.... that is less than $1 per!  Yes raise your prices.

And I had to laugh that the naughty words filter is blocking peac o c k lol!

Cakepro Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 3:42am
post #7 of

I was looking for a Cricut cupcake wrapper cartridge on Craigslist today and saw your ad. 

Your prices are way too low but for our area, your price should be 2 to 3x what you have quoted.  Definitely not 4x.

Smash Cakery Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 4:13am
post #8 of

Cakepro,

You saw my Craiglist ad? Ha! I've gotten some well paying cookie orders from it! :)

But cakes are what I want, and I totally agree after doing research for the last couple of days that I am way too low.

Would you look at my website, under prices, and tell me what you think?

Where do you live? I am in Spring. I wonder if I am familiar with your work?? :)

Annabakescakes Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 11:48pm
post #9 of

AThe naughty words filter is assuming way to much... I wonder if there are customizations on it? Btw, I got a new hair straightener for my birthday that has pea€ock print on it. It is lovely!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%