Basketball Cake For A Lot Of People

Decorating By snelson24 Updated 29 Jan 2013 , 2:20pm by yortma

snelson24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snelson24 Posted 29 Jan 2013 , 4:02am
post #1 of 8

AI just accomplished my first cake for my daughters 2ND bday. 4 days later I have had 2 people request cakes :-) I need a cake for a hs boy and was going to do a basketball theme cake. The party is going to have 70 guests so I going to make a cake than cupcakes. I was wondering if anyone had used the Wilton ball pan? It says it's only 6 in. In diameter but I was thinking that's far from a life size ball. Any tips would be appreciated

7 replies
melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 29 Jan 2013 , 4:21am
post #2 of 8

For a larger ball cake I make 2 of the wilton Soccer Ball pan cakes. It's quite a bit larger than the sport ball pan.

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 29 Jan 2013 , 4:31am
post #3 of 8

I've made this cake a couple of times - I used the Wilton sports ball pan for the basketball, but the basket itself is actually a "double barrel" cake - two 9" round tiers stacked and then covered in fondant.  It made quite a few servings of cake. 

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 29 Jan 2013 , 4:32am
post #4 of 8

sorry - it would help to link to the picture:

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2059366/a/2060366/

snelson24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snelson24 Posted 29 Jan 2013 , 4:41am
post #5 of 8

AWas the basketball much smaller in size than a real ball? Im having a hard time imagining how big the cake will be. Im aiming to do a ball and than have it sit on squares to have it look like the backboard of a hoop if that makes sense. than also make a Jersey cake in his school colors ,lol hope I have room in my fridge

texascakebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texascakebaker Posted 29 Jan 2013 , 4:59am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by snelson24 

Was the basketball much smaller in size than a real ball? Im having a hard time imagining how big the cake will be. Im aiming to do a ball and than have it sit on squares to have it look like the backboard of a hoop if that makes sense. than also make a Jersey cake in his school colors ,lol hope I have room in my fridge

The ball pan is going to give you a ball that's smaller than an actual basketball, if that helps! Like you mentioned, the ball pan is a 6 in diameter whereas a regular men's basketball has a diameter of about 9.5inches.  As to the amount of cake, the ball pan takes a whole five cups of batter, so it just depends on what your idea of serving size is and whether you go by the Wilton serving size chart.

n8rd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
n8rd Posted 29 Jan 2013 , 8:12am
post #7 of 8

AIm about to finish my basketball cake. I'm using the 2 round 9in pans and 1 6in and stacking them. after that I freeze and carved. u did a practice run last week since im a rookie and it turned out good. hoped that helped.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 29 Jan 2013 , 2:20pm
post #8 of 8

I made this a number of years ago, and had the same situation.  I needed a basketball cake for a large group.  I used the Wilton sport ball pan for the BB and stacked rounds underneath carved to represent the net. Another idea to add to the great ones above!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%