LovingMomOf4 Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 11:03pm
post #1 of

So..... I think my fondant is NOT my friend! lol!

I recently attempted to make fondant using a recipe others have had great success with and I followed it to a "T".. it consisted of 1 TBSP gelatin, 1/4 c. water, 1 tsp extract, 1/2 c. light corn syrup, 1 TBSP glycerin, 2 lbs. sifted PS and about a tsp of crisco folded in at the end while mixing...

After making it, the fondant seemed great! Until I colored it and started trying to roll it out :(

I had to continuosly dust the counter (sorry, new to this and haven't purchased a mat yet) with extra powdered sugar (I read this helps), it still stuck. tried using a "puff" with corn starch and it did it as well. When I finally was able to get it OFF the counter and on the cake with out any rips it was so powdery and began to tear. I had to remove it and try again more times than I want to recount. i even had to microwave it a few times to make it soft again. I became so frustrated at the end but got my cake done and decent looking. BUT, i let it sit overnight and the fondant is breaking off in pieces if slightly touched. PLEASE HELP! I am losing my mind here! I am going to attempt to cover the damage with piping at the bottom but i would love to make a good, pliable fondant that I hear so much about! :)

I'm wondering if it's due to over-kneading during the coloring?

4 replies
metria Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 11:46pm
post #2 of

I really don't think you can over-knead it, but I do think you can over-color it.  Were you adding lots of gel food coloring to achieve a dark / rich color?  That can sometimes ruin the consistency.  Other factors for stickiness could be humidity.

I actually made that same recipe last night (I've made it several times before), but found it was a little too moist with exactly 2 lbs of powdered sugar. I would have kneaded in more powdered sugar to compensate, but darn it!  I was fresh out.  I need to swing by the store today and get more.

NJsugarmama Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 3:20am
post #3 of

AWhen I use that recipe, I add 2T of crisco per Rose Levy Berenbaum's recipe...but I also let it rest 2-3 days. You CANNOT use it immediately after.

Annabakescakes Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 4:01am
post #4 of

I LOVE Michele Foster's Fondant. The recipe is on here in the most saved recipes. I add 6 oz white chips. Very pliable and wonderful t work with. I let it rest  a day before i use it. 

sidcaes Posted 3 Feb 2013 , 6:13pm
post #5 of

I use that recipe exclusively and, YES always let it rest.  I try to make it at least a day in advance and I always try to color it right after making it and letting it sit, doubly wrapped in plastic for a day or more.  Also, on rainy days I have to add a bit more powdered sugar to make up for the humidity in the air.

And, always be sure to heat your gelatin and water thoroughly after it has bloomed.  I guess I didn't and got little threads of gelatin in my fondant icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%