Tip For Keeping Candy Melts Warm

Sugar Work By Sassyzan Updated 13 Feb 2013 , 1:58pm by leah_s

Sassyzan Posted 27 Jan 2013 , 4:36pm
post #1 of 9

AI was painting chocolate molds and in my cold house the chocolate was hardening before I could even finish painting the molds. I wanted to come up with something to keep the chocolate warm while I was painting so I didn't have to keep putting it in the microwave. I came up with putting the tray of chocolate on one of those rice packs that you use for a sore neck. Just microwave the rice pack til it's nice and warm and set your chocolate on top of it. It works great. My chocolate is in the candy melting plate from Wilton. It's sort of like an artist tray with small holes for melting just a few candy melts at a time.

Maybe someone has already thought of this but I just wanted to share because it's working out great for me!

8 replies
mareg Posted 27 Jan 2013 , 5:45pm
post #2 of 9

AGreat tip! Thanks.

kakeladi Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 12:56am
post #3 of 9

An electric fry pan is great too.  Used one for years:)

cake_freak Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 6:02am
post #4 of 9

another tip is put your chocolate in jars or glass cups and put them in your crock pot keep it consistantly warm with out burning it...

cazza1 Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 7:47am
post #5 of 9

Give it a blast every now and then with your hair dryer

kkmcmahan Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 12:44pm
post #6 of 9

At Easter I make a lot of chocolate bunnies, chicks, etc and found this tool on ebay years ago (it's also on Amazon.com).  I love it for painting chocolate.  It takes a while to warm up but you just drop in your colored candy melts and it melts it and keeps it soft for as long as you need it. The individual cups come out for cleaning or if you want to store the remaining chocolate for another day. It is electric but does not get hot enough to burn you so I use it with my grandchildren also.

CK Products Candy Melter/Heated Electric Palette Set

When I am doing piping with chocolate I use a heating pad to rest the pastry bag on when I'm not using it. This helps keep it warm and flowing.

Sassyzan Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 12:45pm
post #7 of 9

AWow that thing is awesome! Is there a brand or name on it? I'd like to look for one. I thought about a heating pad, but I don't have one.

kkmcmahan Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 12:52pm
post #8 of 9

Found it on amazon. It's called "CK Products Candy Melter/Heated Electric Palette Set" and sells for around $50 but it is well worth the money.  As I said it takes awhile to warm up and you might think 'no way this is going to melt chocolate' but it does. You don't heat up the melts first, just drop them in whole.

leah_s Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 1:58pm
post #9 of 9

AAgreed with poster above. Heating pad. You may already havve one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%