*butter-Cream* 2 Tier Leopard Print

Decorating By QuadCities Updated 23 Sep 2014 , 7:02pm by karliskelley

QuadCities Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QuadCities Posted 26 Jan 2013 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 38

I WAS ASKED TO MAKE A 2 TIER LEOPARD CAKE USING BUTTER-CREAM.... I FOUND A FEW PHOTO'S OF SOMEONE USING BUTTERCREAM IN DOING THIS... THEY USE COLORED B-CREAM.... HAS ANY OF YOU DONE A CAKE LIKE THIS.... I NEED IDEA'S OF HOW TO GO ABOUT GETTING THE LEOPARD LOOK...... 

THANKS

37 replies
AlyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlyT Posted 26 Jan 2013 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 38

AI would air brush on the spots onbif possible. Keeping in mind that any imperfections with show. You could color the butter cream andbpaint on the spots.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 26 Jan 2013 , 10:23pm
post #3 of 38

I would make it easy on yourself and roll out some fondant in black and brown.  Rip off small pcs of brown then even smaller pcs of black and layer the black on the brown then just stick onto the buttercream.  This way will save your sanity.  Discovered this method by assident late one cake decorating evening.

crushed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crushed Posted 27 Jan 2013 , 12:35am
post #4 of 38

I did a leopard print buttercream cake. I just used a crusting buttercream tinted tan and once everything was smooth and crusted, I painted the spots in darker brown and black using gel food color thinned with vodka. It worked beautifully. I used a friend's leopard print pillow for reference. 

QuadCities Posted 27 Jan 2013 , 1:55am
post #5 of 38

WONDERFUL....... THANK YOU... I WANT TO DO A TRIAL CAKE, SO, NOW WITH THIS FEEDBACK OF WHAT YOU DID,  I WILL FOR SURE DO THIS...... I'LL LET YOU KNOW HOW MINE CAME OUT ... WOOO-HOOOO......thumbs_up.gif

QuadCities Posted 27 Jan 2013 , 1:57am
post #6 of 38

THANK YOU, I NEVER CAN GET ENOUGH FEEDBACK ON WHAT OTHERS DO.... I WILL BE TRYING THIS OUT..........party.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 7:21pm
post #7 of 38

Please know that using all capital letters is the Internet equivalent of screaming to the readers.  

Good luck with your cake!

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 7:30pm
post #8 of 38

Whoa! Enough with the majuscules already.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 7:35pm
post #9 of 38

another way

prepare the different colored buttercreams you wanna use, black, brown, cream whatever colors

pipe the spots on the iced cake and smooth them down

with a kind of tapping/patting motion

with an uber clean smooth cloth or smooth paper towel

test this on the counter or a plastic place mat or something

if it sticks to the towel--wait for the buttercream to get a little air dried & try again until you get the hang of it

easy peasy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

you might wanna look at you tube for video how tos

some folks are making leopard spots within the cake itself

so it shows leopard print in the cut servings

and it's not difficult--maybe for next time

it's inspiring at the least

QuadCities Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 7:56pm
post #10 of 38

I DO KNOW THIS... SORRY, THAT SOME FEEL THIS WAY, BUT MY EYES ARE NOT THE BEST AND I ALMOST HAVE TO PUT MY FACE UP TO THE COMPUTER SCREEN TO READ THE SMALL PRINT... THANKS .......

QuadCities Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 8:17pm
post #11 of 38

WHOA, GOT THAT RIGHT...... I GUESS I'LL GO TO USE ANOTHER SITE TO ASK A QUESTION WITH OUT ALL THE THIS......... I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY SIMPLE THINGS AS CAPITAL LETTERS CAN MAKE A HUGE RUMBLE ....... I GUESS FROM NOW NOW I'LL HAVE TO EXPLAIN THE MAJUSCULES LETTERS FIRST BEFORE ASKING OR WRITING AN EMAIL.....  THANKS TO EVERYONE THAT WAS A HELP........

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 8:27pm
post #12 of 38

I saw this a long time ago, maybe it will help:

http://www.mycakeschool.com/blog/wild-about-you-a-cupcake-tutorial/

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 8:32pm
post #13 of 38

Good grief - stop feeling sorry for yourself - just say you have bad eyes and sorry, but you have to use majescules - people do understand when you explain yourself.

Using a simple period is also preferable than a series of dot dot dots.

You might be able to find some tutorials if you do some searches.

Neophyte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Neophyte Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 8:37pm
post #14 of 38

I hate to disagree, but I'm going to, only because the comment seemed so completely unnecessary here.  All CAPS can mean anger or emphasis, but typically the message itself does the real speaking, so we only need read it for a clue as to the writer's intentions.  CLEARLY, QuadCities was not SCREAMING.  Caps, as most typists know, can also be the result of someone inadvertently striking the caps lock, or typing all caps for the express purpose of easier reading.  Either way, who cares?  Seriously!  If all CAPS is all we'd have to worry about, then life would be a breeze.  

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 8:54pm
post #15 of 38

Please know that most of us are concerned only with the content of your questions and/or responses. We understand that cake decorators are really busy people and, therefore, even tolerate occasional typos, forgotten and/or repeated words, and grammatical errors. I truly can't imagine being offended by someone's choice of letter style, font style, color style or just about anything else. This forum is about Cake, Cake, and Cake! Most of the people involved in Cake Central are so extremely generous in sharing their talents and creative ideas. They are also very encouraging and supportive. Please don't hesitate to participate in the forums because you happened to encounter one or two who feel the need to control your style.

Personally, I picked up several useful ideas from the content of the replies to your question. Thank you for posting!

ohsugarsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ohsugarsweets Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 8:57pm
post #16 of 38

I never get involved in the drama on this site, but lately it's getting ridiculous. I didn't realize that this was a place for spelling or writing critics. I always thought it was a place to share with and learn from other decorators. Get over yourself. Why comment if your just going to tear someone apart? GEEEEEEZ!

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 9:04pm
post #17 of 38

I have done many, many leopard butter cream cakes.   Here's how I do it...........first I airbrush my cake egg yellow and let it dry...completely.  Then I go back and do the black lines.   I used like a 4 tip...just make sure they are close together.   Then I went back in and used brown butter cream and filled in.    By the time I got them all done, I took a wet finger and went back and tapped each spot down.   THEN I did the bottom border.  

tn_1200_Cheetah___Daisies.jpg.jpg

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 9:05pm
post #18 of 38

Dawg..........sorry for the huge picture.     Didn't mean to send it life sizeicon_redface.gif

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 9:05pm
post #19 of 38

AI, too, am annoyed at all caps. I read them as if written as screaming, and when it plays out to be something to NOT shout about, i read it as if written by a neanderthal. It is an easy fix to just hit ctrl +++++ until it blows up big enough to see it.

I have done leopard with painting and with colored buttercream in bags. Both work fine, but icing is easier for me, so I don't have to worry about ACCIDENTALLY piercing through the crust and popping a hole in the cake.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 9:07pm
post #20 of 38

Quadlette~

I upped my font for your eyes only

hope it's easier to read

xo

AlyT Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 9:23pm
post #21 of 38

A[B]NOONE MEEDS TO GET ALL UPSET ABOUT SPELLING AND GRAMMER. IT ISNT IMPORTANT. WHAT IS IMPORTANT IS THAT WE HELP SOMEONE WITH AN ISSUE OUT. JUST LIKE YOU COME ON HERE FOR. WE DONT MAKE RUDE COMMENTS TO SOMEONE FOR HAVING AN ISSUE WIH A CAKE. SO WHY POINT OUT GRAMMER. JUST SAYING! THERE ARE SO MANY WAYS THAT YOU COULD DO LEOPARD PRINT! LET US KNOW HOW IT GOES AND WHAT WAY YOU CHOSE TO DO IT! GOOD LUCK![/B]

AlyT Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 9:24pm
post #22 of 38

A[B][B]NEEDS NOT MEEDS. HAHA[/B][/B]

Neophyte Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 9:35pm
post #23 of 38

Ycknits, what a nice response!  I posted mine as I didn't want this decorator to feel she was alone.  As you've suggested, not all decorators find the need to attack over something like this, a trivial matter by the standards of most mature adults.  Thanks again!

Neophyte Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 9:36pm
post #24 of 38

I like your style, Aly T!

Neophyte Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 9:39pm
post #25 of 38

@ddaigle - nice job on the cake, and great explanation!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 9:40pm
post #26 of 38

A

Original message sent by AlyT

[B]NOONE MEEDS TO GET ALL UPSET ABOUT SPELLING AND GRAMMER. IT ISNT IMPORTANT. WHAT IS IMPORTANT IS THAT WE HELP SOMEONE WITH AN ISSUE OUT. JUST LIKE YOU COME ON HERE FOR. WE DONT MAKE RUDE COMMENTS TO SOMEONE FOR HAVING AN ISSUE WIH A CAKE. SO WHY POINT OUT GRAMMER. JUST SAYING! THERE ARE SO MANY WAYS THAT YOU COULD DO LEOPARD PRINT! LET US KNOW HOW IT GOES AND WHAT WAY YOU CHOSE TO DO IT! GOOD LUCK![/B]

It's grammar, not grammer. And it is important, or else they wouldn't have taught it in grammar school.

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 9:41pm
post #27 of 38

Just beautiful, Debbie! Thanks for the mini-tutorial. And, as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words :))

ttshock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttshock Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 10:33pm
post #28 of 38

I work in an elementary school and I always tell the kids, (what ALL adults know), "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

My mom posts in Facebook in all caps. So does my great-Aunt. I have a friend who ends every text with ....   Yes, I know that these are pet-peeves with some people. But would I intentionally hurt someone's feelings by pointing this out? No.

Missy227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Missy227 Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 10:45pm
post #29 of 38
Quote:

QuadCities, there are truly a lot of very knowledgeable and helpful people on CC, so please don’t let a few people who use demeaning comments to make themselves feel superior, discourage you from posting.  It’s always nice to learn something new and read the different techniques others use, so thank you for posting your question.

AlyT Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 11:49pm
post #30 of 38

AEther way I would care less really. I like people for who they are not what they can and can't do. Oh and that cake posted is absolutely beautiful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%