Is It Me? Need Quick Reality Check.

Decorating By angelas2babies Updated 29 Jan 2007 , 1:42pm by ape

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 12:55am
post #1 of 76

Quick history: MONTHS ago a co-worker of my husband's emailed me requesting me to make her a Princess cake for her daughter's birthday. I sent her pictures ranging from sheet cakes to simple stacked creations to gauge what she wanted.

We emailed back and forth for a couple of weeks and I priced numerous cakes for her ad nauseum.

THEN, for a month I hear nothing from her. I figured that she either didn't feel like paying for these cakes, or simply changed her mind and didn't want me to do her cake for her. No hard feelings.

A few days ago I get a "I'm so excited about my daughter's birthday and here is the cake I want...."

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Okay, so I bite. I check out the cake and mentally get exhausted just thinking about it because she wants it this Friday.

Also, she recommends the price range of $55-$65

Now, I have been nothing but obliging and I think that the cake warrants a $100 price tag, especially since she doesn't want a crystal topper and wants me to "get creative" to create a scene.

I need quotes for this cake. 10 inch round (chocolate cake with oreo filling) and 6 inch round (yellow butter cake) stacked. Double cake layers for the cakes.

Thank you, everyone. I'm not sure what I am going to email her. I just needed to vent and hopefully get some idea what you all would charge for this cake.

Thank you.
angie

Here is the link to the cake she chose:

http://www.cinderellacakes.com/images/PrincessTheme/slides/PrincessTheme-10.htm

75 replies
RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 1:03am
post #2 of 76

is she smoking that happy tabbaki?

100 dollars and that's not even enough!

and I'd charge her another 25 bucks for "creating a scene"...the scene that I'd create would be her not paying what you're worth!

Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 1:06am
post #3 of 76

There is NO WAY that I would do this cake for $55.00-65.00. I would charge AT LEAST $100.00. I would price it the same way that a wedding cake is priced....by the serving.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 1:07am
post #4 of 76

Holy cow....I let out a huge sigh just looking at that monster! Absolutely NO LESS THAN $100!

YummyFireMummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YummyFireMummy Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 1:08am
post #5 of 76
Quote:
Quote:

Derby

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:06 pm Post subject:
There is NO WAY that I would do this cake for $55.00-65.00. I would charge AT LEAST $100.00. I would price it the same way that a wedding cake is priced....by the serving.

I agree. It looks like it would be just as much work if not more as a wedding cake and should be priced accordingly. Don't rip yourself off.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 1:09am
post #6 of 76

Risque you crack me up! $100 Would NOT be enough for me either!

tincanbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tincanbaby Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 1:10am
post #7 of 76

Sorry, I would not settle for $100. for this cake either. It would defanantly be MORE not less. Not even a second thought.

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 1:12am
post #8 of 76

I agree, $100+. No way is that a $55-65 cake!

Jenn

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 1:12am
post #9 of 76

SHE recommended the price range!!!!! Oh, please!!!! What does she know about price ranges for cakes!!!

That cake is surely more than the price she recommended!!! The nerve! icon_confused.gif

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 1:15am
post #10 of 76

Another person just leaping out of the 1950's !!!!
Where do they get the gall to tell you your prices? Do they think you wave a wand and a cake like that just appears? She sure has no idea the hours it takes to do a cake like that and create a top!!
I would add $100.00 to her price and she'll still get a bargain for all that.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 1:15am
post #11 of 76

"I want it all and I want it CHEAP" gimmee gimmee gimmee

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 1:17am
post #12 of 76

I am with Risque, she's hitting the herbal.... look at the fondant work on it and it's pret near (I am from the south) a wedding cake!

$100 at least... 50 servings for those rounds at 2 smackers a piece.

Do you think she is maybe suggesting that as she is a co-worker of your husband and maybe thinks she should be getting a discount or something.
Maybe she is low balling it to see if she can get you to accept. I would tell her the servings to price and level of skill it would take to do that would warrant over $100 as it is elaborate.
Hehe, but as a favor you can do it for $100....

Just my thoughts...I hope all works out well. icon_smile.gif

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 1:17am
post #13 of 76

I would charge her by the slice...just like a wedding cake. This is more intricate that a LOT of wedding cakes. At least $3.00 / slice

UGoCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UGoCakes Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 1:20am
post #14 of 76

Wow! She has a lot of nerve waiting until the last minute AND expecting such a deal! You should charge her well over $100 for waiting until the last minute.

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 1:20am
post #15 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisqueBusiness

is she smoking that happy tabbaki?

100 dollars and that's not even enough!

and I'd charge her another 25 bucks for "creating a scene"...the scene that I'd create would be her not paying what you're worth!

icon_lol.gif

SHE ACTUALLY SAID, "I think sixty bucks will do it,"??????????

WHO IN THE WORLD DOES SHE THINK SHE IS? That is completely disrespectful. $125 hands down.

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 1:20am
post #16 of 76

Oh, Risque! LMBO!!!!!

OK, you are the baker--you say what your cakes cost, not the customer. What is this, Priceline? icon_eek.gif

I would start with wedding pricing since it is a wedding style cake, but party cakes always take more time and effort than wedding cakes. I think, anyway. More colors, more creativity, more detail work. And that sucker looks like OH MY GOODNESS! Definately price this one above a wedding cake, PLUS extra for the little creative scene. Do you have to make the pricesses too??? Cha-ching for them too.

Boy, that was some nerve of her! Charge what you're worth or tell her to talk to the fine folks at Walmart and see if they would duplicate it.

janey105 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janey105 Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 1:23am
post #17 of 76

You are so right about her not having a clue how much time goes into a cake like this. I myself had no clue until I started attempting to make them.

I live in Northwest Iowa in a small town where people settle for Hy-Vee or Wal-Mart cakes for 12 bucks. I actually had a girl offer me $5.00 for a cake I made when I was just starting out even though she knew it had 5 cake mixes and 2 batches of fondant!

Hours and hours of work. How do you in the small towns find people who are willing to pay what your cakes are worth? Right now I am only doing it for myself and family but friends are starting to ask me to do cakes for them but they have no clue what is involved.

katerpillrgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katerpillrgrl Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 1:25am
post #18 of 76

That lady's got to be crazy. I would reply to her and tell her that first of all, I need more notice than 5 days and would not even consider it so close to the due date. Second of all, for that price, if I had time, I would do the simple stacked cake with colored icing the way she wants it (no fondant) and a border, maybe a little decorative piping on the side, a "happy birthday" here or there, some pixie dust and then call it a day. If she wants Cinderella on her cake, she needs to provide the figurines. I would give her only a couple of options for her dollar, and then say "take it or leave it."

nglez09 Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 1:25am
post #19 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisb

Oh, Risque! LMBO!!!!!

OK, you are the baker--you say what your cakes cost, not the customer. What is this, Priceline? icon_eek.gif

LOL. icon_lol.gif

nglez09 Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 1:27am
post #20 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by janey105

You are so right about her not having a clue how much time goes into a cake like this. I myself had no clue until I started attempting to make them.

I live in Northwest Iowa in a small town where people settle for Hy-Vee or Wal-Mart cakes for 12 bucks. I actually had a girl offer me $5.00 for a cake I made when I was just starting out even though she knew it had 5 cake mixes and 2 batches of fondant!

Hours and hours of work. How do you in the small towns find people who are willing to pay what your cakes are worth? Right now I am only doing it for myself and family but friends are starting to ask me to do cakes for them but they have no clue what is involved.

FIVE DOLLARS?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARE YOU FRICKING KIDDING ME?!

People are nuts these days. I wonder how the world would be/react if they logged on to CC to see how it REALLY is and how we're always making fun of them. icon_lol.gif

Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 1:31am
post #21 of 76

I really think that people that don't bake have NO IDEA of the time and cost involved. We bakers have a really hard time making a fair profit for our time.

I ALWAYS have people CONSTANTLY tellling me to quit my job and do this full time.....since I'm so good at it....but none of them are willing to pay the prices that I would have to charge.

GRRR...sometime people irk me!

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 1:31am
post #22 of 76

Ohh that makes me annoyed! $100.00 is not even enough! You should email her back and tell her that you had been expecting her answer about a month ago because it takes weeks to get all that is needed in supplies for this cake and the price for this cake is more than $200.00 but you will give her a nice deal for $175.00....icon_smile.gif

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 1:34am
post #23 of 76

I would simply say that I'm sorry, but since I didn't here back from you...... That day is booked! And by the way, that cake is $100. plus topper. I wouldn't deal with this looney tune!
( Sorry, rough day, taxes ya know!)

janey105 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janey105 Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 1:35am
post #24 of 76

I am not kidding. She figured since it was a learning cake and that I didn't have a buyer for it that she was doing me a favor or something. I haven't spoken to her since.

sweet_T7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_T7 Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 1:51am
post #25 of 76

I agree with Katerpillrgrl.....for $55-65 this is what I can do for you on such short notice

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 2:04am
post #26 of 76

"Call us today at 714.241.9536 to place your order. "

Angela...call this place to get a quote on that cake and then just tell her the price.....offer her the number to prove it.......then politely say that your price range warrants a simpler cake. I've never seen you let anyone walk all over you.....don't let her, either. But, be kind, because I'm sure she really has no clue and is not being sly.

AshleyLogan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AshleyLogan Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 2:11am
post #27 of 76

Here's a cake for her...
http://www.myhomecooking.net/german-chocolate-cake/german-chocolate-cake.jpg

I would just tell her its too short notice, better luck next time.

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 2:12am
post #28 of 76

First of all how rude oh her! She's suggesting her own prcie?
Secondly, you better not charge less than $100 for that cake girlfriend!!! That cake is worth way more than $65!!!!!!!!!!

baker4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baker4life Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 2:40am
post #29 of 76

Oh my gosh!!

I agree with everyone else on this one. I would not allow her to delegate how much she should pay for a cake. Customers should never have control like that.
Champagne Tastes On A Beer Budget (Love that saying!)

Making a cake is not "Let's Make A Deal".

Plop a sheet cake in front of her & tell her she can get that for $60 bucks!!

PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 2:43am
post #30 of 76

Ummm Ummm yea I think she has lost her mind.....I say turn her down and tell her to go find someone else to do it for $55-$65.....In a business you have to give at least 2wks to a couple of months notice and she gave you what a week....I don't think so

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%