Cake Tasting For Wedding Cake To Serve 75 ~ 3 Flavors

Business By Bubbl3h3ad Updated 25 Jan 2013 , 8:10pm by melanie-1221

Bubbl3h3ad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbl3h3ad Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 7:49pm
post #1 of 2

This has been asked before and i can't find it ~ so sorry!

I have a potential customer, wants a wedding cake for 75 people. She wants the cake to be 3 different flavors and she knows what flavors she wants. Her fiance wants to have a tasting to make sure the cake tastes alright before they order.

I understand wanting to make sure the cake is good. However, I have a very small business, I don't do many cakes anymore. I don't have cake on hand for them to taste and to have a cake tasting for this cake I would need to make 3 cakes that I don't need, plus frosting. If it was 1 flavor of cake, I would do it and just use the extra batter for something but since it is 3, I honestly do not want to.

How do I handle this? I don't need the money from this cake, I just like doing cakes once in a while. Would you all just let this one go or do you have any other ideas??

1 reply
melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 8:10pm
post #2 of 2

It's great to have the business, and build your portfolio.

In this case I would charge for the tasting, to cover the ingredients, if they end up booking with you , apply that tasting fee to the cost of the cake, if they don't book, you keep the $$ and at least it didn't cost you anything :) 

I would also 1/4 my recipes and make just a few cupcakes in those flavors. What you don't use, freeze.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%