Chris449842 Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 7:08pm
post #1 of

Wanted to make lovely whippy cupcakes for the kids with 2 differnet colours,colours never worked out and the whippy part never worked, they are no good, what did i do wrong?

 

 

 

33 replies
Marianna46 Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 7:53pm
post #2 of

Without seeing a photo of the cupcakes you made and the recipe you used for your frosting, it would be very hard to trouble-shoot your process. "Whippy" is not exactly a technical term, so I'm not sure what you were going for in the first place. Can you give us more information?

bigdad Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 8:02pm
post #3 of

photo would not come up.  A site I found today has good ideas (glorioustreats.com)  but you can do it or come up with something else if I can do cakes anyone can,have fun and enjoy.

DeliciousDesserts Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 8:09pm
post #4 of

Do you mean you wanted the frosting to be taller & whippy around the cupcake or do you mean whippy texture?

 

From the photo, it looks like your swirl is just on the surface.  The color is really kinda neat.  I start on the outside edge of the cupcake.  As you swirl around, only move inside shortly so that they kind of overlap.  This will make them taller.http://www.verydeliciousdesserts.com/#!Chocolate-Peanut-Butter-Cupcakes/zoom/c1204/image2vd

Chris449842 Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 8:41pm
post #5 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts 

Do you mean you wanted the frosting to be taller & whippy around the cupcake or do you mean whippy texture?

 

From the photo, it looks like your swirl is just on the surface.  The color is really kinda neat.  I start on the outside edge of the cupcake.  As you swirl around, only move inside shortly so that they kind of overlap.  This will make them taller.http://www.verydeliciousdesserts.com/#!Chocolate-Peanut-Butter-Cupcakes/zoom/c1204/image2vd


Thank you, sorry guys that cant see the pic, i think i need a bigger nozzle, the one pretty small, maybe that was the problem, but yes i mean i want it higher not flat like in the pic. thanks for the link xxx

remnant3333 Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 10:04pm
post #6 of

You should either use 1M or 2D tip. Also your frosting might have been a little too runny and should have been thicker. What frosting recipe did you use? Here is a video showing 4 techniques to do cupcakes below. Don't give up maybe it was your icing recipe was not thick enough!!! If you are using the frosting that comes in the can like Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker then it is not thick enough for the below kind of piping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYy2uiK6T94
 

Chris449842 Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 10:09pm
post #7 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by remnant3333 

You should either use 1M or 2D tip. Also your frosting might have been a little too runny and should have been thicker. What frosting recipe did you use? Here is a video showing 4 techniques to do cupcakes below. Don't give up maybe it was your icing recipe was not thick enough!!! If you are using the frosting that comes in the can like Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker then it is not thick enough for the below kind of piping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYy2uiK6T94
 


Thanks remnant, i used 200grams of icing sugar, powdered for the us guys, and 100gr of butter that was it :( xx

remnant3333 Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 10:59pm
post #8 of

This is the recipe I use below.

2/3 cup shortening(Crisco sold in bars like butter)

22 tablespoons butter

1/ 4 to 1/2 cup Liquid heavy whipping cream

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 pounds (4cups) 10X sugar (I use maybe 3 cups)

 

If you only did cupcakes you may only need half of my ingredients. I start out with 1/4 cup of whipping cream and only add more if icing is too thick. Also you can add corn syrup about 1 tablespoon to making icing have more elasticity. You use grams so I really do not know how to convert over to grams. The whipping cream makes it very light and fluffy.

 

I am sure others will have some better recipes than me but this is the recipe I stick with since everyone loves it that I know. Wish I had Indy-Deb's buttercream recipe but I somehow lost it.

FromScratchSF Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 11:14pm
post #9 of

Hello all - did you know you could post You Tube videos direct into our forums now?  Just click the filmstrip icon above and paste the You Tube address direct into it.  Like this:

 

remnant3333 Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 12:06am


Thanks Scratch, I did not know that!! Appreciate the information about videos!!!  You are wonderful!!!

FromScratchSF Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 12:14am

Yay!  I have one in my fan club.  Help me fight off the other 999 members with pitchforks... icon_biggrin.gif

DeliciousDesserts Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 12:55am

Whatever!  You have way more than 1 fan. At the VERY least you have 2.

Chris449842 Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 12:24pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by remnant3333 

This is the recipe I use below.

2/3 cup shortening(Crisco sold in bars like butter)

22 tablespoons butter

1/ 4 to 1/2 cup Liquid heavy whipping cream

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 pounds (4cups) 10X sugar (I use maybe 3 cups)

 

If you only did cupcakes you may only need half of my ingredients. I start out with 1/4 cup of whipping cream and only add more if icing is too thick. Also you can add corn syrup about 1 tablespoon to making icing have more elasticity. You use grams so I really do not know how to convert over to grams. The whipping cream makes it very light and fluffy.

 

I am sure others will have some better recipes than me but this is the recipe I stick with since everyone loves it that I know. Wish I had Indy-Deb's buttercream recipe but I somehow lost it.

 

Oh thank you, must try this, but crisco i think i saw somewhere that we in UK use trex instead is that right?  Will need to try it out, thanks again xxx

Chris449842 Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 12:26pm

Fromscratch thank you sooo much have saved this is on my desktop much appreciated xxxxxxicon_biggrin.gif

TLunday Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 2:23pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by remnant3333 

This is the recipe I use below.

2/3 cup shortening(Crisco sold in bars like butter)

22 tablespoons butter

1/ 4 to 1/2 cup Liquid heavy whipping cream

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 pounds (4cups) 10X sugar (I use maybe 3 cups)

 

If you only did cupcakes you may only need half of my ingredients. I start out with 1/4 cup of whipping cream and only add more if icing is too thick. Also you can add corn syrup about 1 tablespoon to making icing have more elasticity. You use grams so I really do not know how to convert over to grams. The whipping cream makes it very light and fluffy.

 

I am sure others will have some better recipes than me but this is the recipe I stick with since everyone loves it that I know. Wish I had Indy-Deb's buttercream recipe but I somehow lost it.

Do you only use this recipe for your cupcakes or is this what you do for your cakes as well?

Marianna46 Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 6:38pm

Both IndyDebi's and Sugarshack's buttercream recipes are in the recipe section here, and they are both wonderful! I generally frost cupcakes with a 1M tip and it makes all the difference. Also, since I have a hard time getting a dome on my cupcakes (I've tried lots of different recipes, so I've decided it has to do with environmental factors), I sometimes pipe a little mound of buttercream in the middle of the cupcake before doing the swirly part. And, indeed, icing consistency is key here. By the way, I was able to get your photo to come up (I just didn't see the link the first time around), and, while they may not be what you were going for, they look delicious.

Apti Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 7:50pm

TLunday~~Welcome to the forum!

 

FromScratchSF~~Fan #3 checking in!  Thanks for letting us know how to post Youtube links.  I LOVE all the wonderful bakers and decorators who share their skills on Youtube.

 

OP~~Since I am "computer challenged" when it comes to finding recipes that other people seem to find in a nano-second, I'll make it easy and post the link and/or the buttercream recipe.  I have used both of the recipes below a lot.  I strongly prefer the Bunnywoman's Mock Shack unless it is very hot and humid.  If it is hot or humid, I use the Indydebi recipe which does not contain any real butter.

 

BUNNYWOMAN'S MOCK SHACK:
http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=135663&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

----------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Indydebi Crusting Buttercream:  An excellent high-heat, high-humidity recipe.  Important: Even though recipe says "Crisco", this recipes was used for  years BEFORE Crisco changed their recipe to NON-TRANS-FAT. The current Crisco does NOT perform the same way it did 2 years ago.

 

Where the recipes call for Crisco, substitute (if possible) the following:

BEST BY A MILE: High Ratio Shortening (this is only available from specialty cake stores or online. You cannot find this at a grocery store.)

2nd BEST: Grocery store brand white vegetable shortening that still lists 2-3 grams of trans-fat on the ingredients label

Use only as a last resort: White Crisco (not butter flavored). It will still work, and nobody else but you will know that it is a little grainy and not as smooth as it would be with one of the products in 1st or 2nd place above.

 


INDYDEBI CRISCO-BASED BUTTERCREAM--(Excellent for hot/humid areas):

(IndyDebi is a very experienced decorator/caterer: http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/)
Single Batch Recipe:

1-1/3 cups Crisco (BETTER: store brand shortening with 3 grams of trans-fats, or BEST, a specialty cake supply product called high-ratio shortening. As of 2010 Crisco no longer contains trans-fats.)

1/3 to 1/2 cup milk, depending on consistency needed
3 Tbsp powdered Dream Whip (powdered whipped topping mix made by Kraft Foods)
2-3 Tbsp clear vanilla, depending on personal taste (optional: almond extract, or lemon extract )
2 lbs. powdered pure cane sugar
IndyDebi says: “There's no wrong way to mix this. I usually mix all but the powdered sugar & milk for a minute or two, then gradually alternate the sugar & milk, but the only reason I do this is to avoid the "sugar-splash" factor. The longer the mixer runs, the smoother it gets. Sifting the powdered sugar before blending helps with smoothness but is not necessary.”

NOTE: Based on recommendations from other users of her recipe: 1) I make a double batch so the beaters are totally immersed to avoid air bubbles, 2) I beat the shortening, milk, Dream Whip, and vanilla for 10-15 minutes BEFORE I add the powdered sugar. I refrigerate or freeze leftover icing.

 

stefkovic Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 8:22pm

I use the same recipe as remnant3333, have tried others but always come back to this one and yes I use to for cakes too, frosting and decorating, works wonderful and taste great

Chris449842 Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 8:29pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46 

Both IndyDebi's and Sugarshack's buttercream recipes are in the recipe section here, and they are both wonderful! I generally frost cupcakes with a 1M tip and it makes all the difference. Also, since I have a hard time getting a dome on my cupcakes (I've tried lots of different recipes, so I've decided it has to do with environmental factors), I sometimes pipe a little mound of buttercream in the middle of the cupcake before doing the swirly part. And, indeed, icing consistency is key here. By the way, I was able to get your photo to come up (I just didn't see the link the first time around), and, while they may not be what you were going for, they look delicious.


Thank you, they certainly were not what i was going for, but they tasted gorgeous. I am rather scared to try domed cakes as i know they wont turn out. 1M i must get that, its for the big swirls is it not? That is what i want yea. xxx

Chris449842 Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 8:33pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti 

TLunday~~Welcome to the forum!

 

FromScratchSF~~Fan #3 checking in!  Thanks for letting us know how to post Youtube links.  I LOVE all the wonderful bakers and decorators who share their skills on Youtube.

 

OP~~Since I am "computer challenged" when it comes to finding recipes that other people seem to find in a nano-second, I'll make it easy and post the link and/or the buttercream recipe.  I have used both of the recipes below a lot.  I strongly prefer the Bunnywoman's Mock Shack unless it is very hot and humid.  If it is hot or humid, I use the Indydebi recipe which does not contain any real butter.

 

BUNNYWOMAN'S MOCK SHACK:
http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=135663&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

----------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Indydebi Crusting Buttercream:  An excellent high-heat, high-humidity recipe.  Important: Even though recipe says "Crisco", this recipes was used for  years BEFORE Crisco changed their recipe to NON-TRANS-FAT. The current Crisco does NOT perform the same way it did 2 years ago.

 

Where the recipes call for Crisco, substitute (if possible) the following:

BEST BY A MILE: High Ratio Shortening (this is only available from specialty cake stores or online. You cannot find this at a grocery store.)

2nd BEST: Grocery store brand white vegetable shortening that still lists 2-3 grams of trans-fat on the ingredients label

Use only as a last resort: White Crisco (not butter flavored). It will still work, and nobody else but you will know that it is a little grainy and not as smooth as it would be with one of the products in 1st or 2nd place above.

 


INDYDEBI CRISCO-BASED BUTTERCREAM--(Excellent for hot/humid areas):

(IndyDebi is a very experienced decorator/caterer: http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/)
Single Batch Recipe:

1-1/3 cups Crisco (BETTER: store brand shortening with 3 grams of trans-fats, or BEST, a specialty cake supply product called high-ratio shortening. As of 2010 Crisco no longer contains trans-fats.)

1/3 to 1/2 cup milk, depending on consistency needed
3 Tbsp powdered Dream Whip (powdered whipped topping mix made by Kraft Foods)
2-3 Tbsp clear vanilla, depending on personal taste (optional: almond extract, or lemon extract )
2 lbs. powdered pure cane sugar
IndyDebi says: “There's no wrong way to mix this. I usually mix all but the powdered sugar & milk for a minute or two, then gradually alternate the sugar & milk, but the only reason I do this is to avoid the "sugar-splash" factor. The longer the mixer runs, the smoother it gets. Sifting the powdered sugar before blending helps with smoothness but is not necessary.”

NOTE: Based on recommendations from other users of her recipe: 1) I make a double batch so the beaters are totally immersed to avoid air bubbles, 2) I beat the shortening, milk, Dream Whip, and vanilla for 10-15 minutes BEFORE I add the powdered sugar. I refrigerate or freeze leftover icing.

 

 

Thank you, have saved all of this xx

costumeczar Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 1:38am
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF 

Hello all - did you know you could post You Tube videos direct into our forums now?  Just click the filmstrip icon above and paste the You Tube address direct into it.  Like this:

 

Not trying to hijack a thread, but I got a message from another moderator today that said that if I posted a link to videos that I've made (which I did to show someone a technique they were asking about) that it was spamming. So am I allowed to paste them into the threads, or am I only allowed to post videos that other people made? Or if someone else pastes a video that I made am I going to get blamed for spamming? It makes it  difficult to help someone who has a question about something if I know that I have a video about it but I can't post a link.

FromScratchSF Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 4:41am

The new website clearly supports videos and this tutorial posted...

 

http://cakecentral.com/a/image-and-video-tutorial

 

... clearly encourages members to post you tube videos direct.  I can't speak for the other mod, but I would not issue an infraction on it.  You are giving the info for free and keeping the traffic here.  

 

Sorry about that, Kara.

AnnieCahill Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 2:43pm

Chris,

 

Those cupcakes are cute.  You need a larger tip/nozzle to ice those.  You are in the UK, no?  Ateco has a nice large tip set.  This is the one I have and it's fantastic.  The only one I haven't used from the set is the basket weave tip.

 

http://www.amazon.com/Ateco-6-Piece-Pastry-Tube-Tips/dp/B000BVHG14/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359122825&sr=8-1&keywords=ateco+large+tips

 

You will get a nice high swirl with those tips.  You just have to practice.  Also, check your PM.  I am sending you a recipe.

Chris449842 Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 2:49pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill 

Chris,

 

Those cupcakes are cute.  You need a larger tip/nozzle to ice those.  You are in the UK, no?  Ateco has a nice large tip set.  This is the one I have and it's fantastic.  The only one I haven't used from the set is the basket weave tip.

 

http://www.amazon.com/Ateco-6-Piece-Pastry-Tube-Tips/dp/B000BVHG14/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359122825&sr=8-1&keywords=ateco+large+tips

 

You will get a nice high swirl with those tips.  You just have to practice.  Also, check your PM.  I am sending you a recipe.


Ohh a recipe ok am just about off to do school run, then i will be back, thank you so much, will get back to you. That nozzle tip can you get in UK, as yes thats where i am?  Be back soon xxx

AnnieCahill Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 2:55pm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ateco-6-Piece-Pastry-Tube-Tips/dp/B0055KFVGI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1359125688&sr=8-2

 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cupcake-Swirls-Strands-Decoration-Sugarcraft/dp/B0079IKARE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359125688&sr=8-1

Chris449842 Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 3:56pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ateco-6-Piece-Pastry-Tube-Tips/dp/B0055KFVGI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1359125688&sr=8-2

 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cupcake-Swirls-Strands-Decoration-Sugarcraft/dp/B0079IKARE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359125688&sr=8-1


Thanks Annie thats brill xx

remnant3333 Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 5:51pm

You are NOT hopeless!!! I really did not think your cupcakes were bad at all. They looked cute! The icing might not have been as fluffy as you wanted but I bet they tasted terrific.  Taste is what counts. Once you get the 1M or 2D tip I bet the icing will be fluffier. A bigger tip will make all the difference in the world!!  Don't be so down on yourself!!! I just now see that you asked if I use the icing for cakes and yes I do. Sorry it took so long to answer you.  I will bet you that everyone here on this site has had things happen with their cakes or cupcakes at least once. I have had it happen more than once!! Hang in there and keep faith in yourself!!!/Mary
 

Apti Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 6:02pm

Chris~~I can second what Annie suggested.  I was fortunate to find those tips in the USA and LOVE them.  You will need a large piping bag, since each cupcake requires a fairly large amount of frosting.  Here is an excellent 20" disposable bag that should be excellent with these tips:

 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roll-Savoy-Disposable-Piping-Bags/dp/B000N20RXA/ref=sr_1_8?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1359136524&sr=1-8

 

When you cut the end of the bag to insert the metal tip, cut very carefully the first few times so you don't end up with a useless bag that the tip falls through.  It's better to cut a little bit at a time.  Be sure to wrap the filled end with a rubberband (elastic) so the frosting doesn't squish back out of the large end. 

 

The first time you do a batch (24?) of cupcakes, make note of the amount of frosting needed and how many times you had to refill the bag, and how long it takes to frost the cupcakes.  Then the NEXT time you won't have to guess all over again.  (I learned all these little secrets the hard way.......)

 

(p.s.  I wasn't aware you were in the UK when I posted the recipes for buttercream.  Most of the ingredients should be available in the UK, but may be made by different manufacturers.  If you have any questions about "mystery USA ingredients", please send me a PM.)

Chris449842 Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 6:39pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by remnant3333 

You are NOT hopeless!!! I really did not think your cupcakes were bad at all. They looked cute! The icing might not have been as fluffy as you wanted but I bet they tasted terrific.  Taste is what counts. Once you get the 1M or 2D tip I bet the icing will be fluffier. A bigger tip will make all the difference in the world!!  Don't be so down on yourself!!! I just now see that you asked if I use the icing for cakes and yes I do. Sorry it took so long to answer you.  I will bet you that everyone here on this site has had things happen with their cakes or cupcakes at least once. I have had it happen more than once!! Hang in there and keep faith in yourself!!!/Mary
 


Aww bless ya thank you, yes will order the nozzle when i got more pennies, and try again icon_smile.gif and let you know how i get on. 

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Chris449842 Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 6:43pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti 

Chris~~I can second what Annie suggested.  I was fortunate to find those tips in the USA and LOVE them.  You will need a large piping bag, since each cupcake requires a fairly large amount of frosting.  Here is an excellent 20" disposable bag that should be excellent with these tips:

 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roll-Savoy-Disposable-Piping-Bags/dp/B000N20RXA/ref=sr_1_8?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1359136524&sr=1-8

 

When you cut the end of the bag to insert the metal tip, cut very carefully the first few times so you don't end up with a useless bag that the tip falls through.  It's better to cut a little bit at a time.  Be sure to wrap the filled end with a rubberband (elastic) so the frosting doesn't squish back out of the large end. 

 

The first time you do a batch (24?) of cupcakes, make note of the amount of frosting needed and how many times you had to refill the bag, and how long it takes to frost the cupcakes.  Then the NEXT time you won't have to guess all over again.  (I learned all these little secrets the hard way.......)

 

(p.s.  I wasn't aware you were in the UK when I posted the recipes for buttercream.  Most of the ingredients should be available in the UK, but may be made by different manufacturers.  If you have any questions about "mystery USA ingredients", please send me a PM.)


Thank you Apti, thats great info, will go look at the bags just now. The one thing i find very hard is getting the frosting in the bag, so will google how to put frosting in a bag, as mines goes all over place xxxx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%