How Do I Get Really Shiny Gold And Silver Color???

Decorating By chelipao Updated 9 Jan 2014 , 8:45am by ImTopsyTurvy

chelipao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelipao Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 24

Hi guys, I am just getting started in the cake decorating industry, and I found this picture (see 1st photo). Do you guys know how to get that really shiny gold color? That almost looks like metal. Also, do you know hoy to make the stripes so perfect? Especially I have trouble when they are horizontal like the other picture. I’ll appreciate any information you can give me. Thank you!!

23 replies
Pam1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pam1976 Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 7:09pm
post #2 of 24

The gold is done with edible gold leaf.   

Texan Aunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texan Aunt Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 24

Hmmm...the first photo almost looks like they used foil on it. Or as ridiculous as it may seem gold leaf. I shudder to think of how you'd paint that, and  I know of no spray that will get a gold that bright.

On the second photo with the lines, how I usually do that is rolling out my fondant sometimes 50/50, then cut it with a zacto or other sharp knife and a ruler. If you let it dry for 2-3 minutes (depends upon humidity where you are) and then roll it up on a small rolling pin or other small oval object, you can just run it around the cake and with practice it will turn out pretty even. A good way to try this for the first time is to do a bottom border on a cake that looks like a ribbon.

Pam1976 Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 24

Also, for tips for applying stripes to a cake, visi thttp://jessicakesblog.blogspot.com/  She has some tutorials on applying stripes to cakes.  Good luck!!

Pam1976 Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 7:16pm
post #5 of 24

Here is how Jessica gets her pattern onto her cakes.  You could always adjust the technique to fit the pattern you want.  http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-forum-userprofile-689520.html

Also, Jessica is on cake central, too, under the name mrsmudrash.  Here is her page info:  http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-forum-userprofile-689520.html

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 7:32pm
post #6 of 24

It won't be quite as shiny as gold leaf, but you can also use gold airbrush paint, either with an airbrush or a paintbrush. I painted some smaller areas of a cake with airbrush paint and a watercolor brush just recently and it looked quite nice, much shinier than luster dust + vodka.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 7:33pm
post #7 of 24

You take luster dust gold or silver and add high grain alchohol. Like 100% is better than 50 proof they have something called ever clear which is like a 200 proof alchohol. Mix them and add to the fondant. The higher proof the more shine it has. Hope this helps. thumbs_up.gif

lovechocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovechocolate Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 9:20pm
post #8 of 24

Hi there, wow, I love this idea instead of spraying that silver stuff, I don't really like it, I sooo wish they made silver wilton coloring, So silly question, if I use vodka and paint on the silver dust is it ok for kids to eat?

Thanks,

Maria

CakesByRashmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByRashmi Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 9:51pm
post #9 of 24

AThe vodka evaporates completely. But if you are concerned use rose spirit, this is available in cake decorating shops.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 9:52pm
post #10 of 24

That is done with edible gold leaf, You buy it in sheets. You can also get silver. 

If anyone would like a run down on how to use it please PM me. 

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 10:00pm
post #11 of 24

AI've used gold and silver leaf on many wedding cakes like this. It's the only way to get a true gold or silver effect, although some lustre paints also give a nice effect.

CakesbyRashmi - rose spirit also contains alcohol. It is actuall 95% alc/vol. So it's no different to using vodka if you are concerned for your kids, despite the fact the alcohol evaporates ;-)

chelipao Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 11:37pm
post #12 of 24

Hi! thanks for the info, can you run me down on how to use them please!! Thank you!!

chelipao Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 11:42pm
post #13 of 24

Thank you all!!!!!!!!

It was super helpful; for sure I’ll try the gold leaf technique!!

Thanks!!!!!! =D =D

lovechocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovechocolate Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 10:00pm
post #14 of 24

Thank You! I will try out the vodka!

Thanks again

Leeli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leeli Posted 29 Jan 2013 , 1:04pm
post #15 of 24

I also go to Jessicakes blog, she is really good with that.

putrutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
putrutt Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 10:47pm
post #16 of 24

where can I buy shiny gold icing or how can I make it?

Marianna46 Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 11:33pm
post #17 of 24

As far as I know, there is no such thing as shiny gold icing. You either use edible gold leaf or paint your fondant with gold airbrush paint or with gold luster dust suspended in a little vodka. But if somebody knows something I don't (not a particularly far-fetched proposition!), please let us know.

rosiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecake Posted 1 Feb 2013 , 2:15am
post #18 of 24

AI did a cupcake corse and they used this gold dust, aparantly very expensive and has edible real gold bits in it. She put the dust in separate little containers, added vodka to make a thick paste, an with a paintbrush painted it on. Then the paste in the container will eventually dry because of the alcohol will evaporate it over a few days.

Marianna46 Posted 2 Feb 2013 , 1:10am
post #19 of 24

That powder was luster dust, but it's nowhere near as shiny as the gold leaf in the photo from the OP. And, yes, it's very expensive, but not because it has gold in it. Unfortunately, all luster dusts are expensive, no matter what the color. The nicest thing I can say about it is that it goes a fairly long way.

kjgm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgm Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 10:12pm
post #20 of 24

When applying the silver or gold leaf slightly dampen the fondant to make a little tacky, apply sheets and rub with a cotton ball to smooth.  

How do you apply horizontal stripes to fondant? What tool does anyone suggest to keep the lines smooth and level?

Thank you!

karen0355 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karen0355 Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 3:23pm
post #21 of 24

how do i get really shiny gold color on cake

ShandiKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShandiKakes Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 3:28pm
post #22 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by karen0355 

how do i get really shiny gold color on cake

read the previous posts, this has been answered a few different times in this thread ;)

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 4:25pm
post #23 of 24

AReal gold powder does not dissolve in vodka. The next shiniest application after gold leaf is gold highlighter with alcohol which is not edible and not even non toxic.

ImTopsyTurvy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ImTopsyTurvy Posted 9 Jan 2014 , 8:45am
post #24 of 24

here is my post on how to use the edible gold leaf and the link to wear i buy it. http://www.imtopsyturvy.com/gold-leaf-wedding-cake/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%