How Do I Get Deep Red Fondant

Decorating By mollycamille Updated 8 Oct 2018 , 11:13am by vicki muirhead

mollycamille Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mollycamille Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 1:58pm
post #1 of 26

AI have a cake for this Saturday its an 14x14 square, 4" thick covered in deep red which always looks pink After mixing most of my red gel colouring into the fondant .

Dose anyone have an idea how to get deep red that actually look red and not pink? :(

25 replies
Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 26

AJust keep adding more and let it sit a few hours or overnight. It will darken. Try adding a tiny drop of green or black to darken it if its still too light.

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 26

AThanks for the link! I forgot about that one. I have a red cake coming up too--a fireman's helmet for my son's birthday. I think I'll try that method this time.

mollycamille Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mollycamille Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 2:48am
post #5 of 26

thank you 

ShelbyLyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelbyLyn Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 3:50am
post #6 of 26

Also, Try mixing different reds. The Wilton no-taste red mixed with the Red-Red gave me a great color. I would not suggest adding Burgundy though. Burgundy turned my red a grayish dull Burgundy.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 10:30pm
post #7 of 26

AOh my gosh that is going to save my life, I am supposed to make a fondant covered two tier cake in the colors of the game UNO next month and I was going crazy thinking about how much all the fondant was going to cost!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 10:35pm
post #8 of 26

AAfter messing around with colouring deep colours, I finally decided just to buy the premade SI colours. I adjust these with small amounts of colour for different shades.

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 27 Jan 2013 , 8:15am
post #9 of 26

I actually add cocoa powder to mine and it works a treat.. beautiful deep rich blood red (works with buttercream also).  I do agree with the other poster regarding the advice on leaving it to develop overnight. Good luck x

emmascandycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascandycakes Posted 27 Jan 2013 , 5:55pm
post #10 of 26

A@goreti can the same be done with making black foundant please ? X with marshmallows ect

Ann Carter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ann Carter Posted 27 Jan 2013 , 8:02pm
post #11 of 26

http://50a6e128us3qcx98v6q9o48uf5.hop.clickbank.net/ is the site that I use to get ideas for cake decorating. I always use a tiny drop of black for a deep red and let it sit over night. It should come out like a blood red/scarlet color. Hope that helps :)

madamechocolat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madamechocolat Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 6:27pm
post #12 of 26

The best is to use the airbrush because if you add paste color to your fondant until get  a a deep red, your fondant will loose quality and could start separating into pieces. You can also, paint your cake directly with a brush and color!

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 8:40pm
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmascandycakes 

@goreti can the same be done with making black foundant please ? X with marshmallows ect

You can add any color candy melts or chocolate to the MMF recipe.  You don't need black candy melts to get MMF black, you can use regular chocolate chips and add some black gel color to it.  Works like a charm.  I've even made MMF with white chocolate and it tastes super yummy.

Have fun with it!  It's super easy to get dark, rich colors this way.

LisaKinVA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaKinVA Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 9:08pm
post #14 of 26

I must be doing something wrong with mine...it got dry, and had an alligator-ish look to the fondant.  the colors and flavors were GREAT.  I sifted the PS, and didn't come close to using 2lbs of PS in the mixture (it was a bit on the tacky side when I greased it and wrapped it up for the night).  Should I have used it right away?  My daughter and I nearly had fits trying to roll that thing out in the morning.  I didn't use too much Crisco (just in the bowl, and on my hands when I was getting it ready to wrap).  OH, and the red candy melts did NOT melt like your photo.  I did get them to mix into the Marshmallows fine, but they were one big clump.  I used the melts from Hobby Lobby.  Next time, I'll get the Merkens, I think.

I don't do this type of thing all the time...but I'll probably be making a couple of fondant covered cakes in the not too distant future (if not a 3-tier sucker).  How much fondant do I need for a 14" round tier? (14, 10, and 6).  You can see our project below.  We were originally going to cover the letters in MMF...but didn't make enough and didn't have time to get what we needed and finish in time.  This was plan B.  Buttercream with MMF/tinted with melts as decoration.

Thanks.

AngelFood4 Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 5:51pm
post #15 of 26

Aww LisaKinVA, so sorry to hear. The marshmallows and candy melts should be smooth when melted and not clumpy. Maybe the candy melts were burnt (heated too hot)? I heat mine up at 30 second intervals at 50% power and stir well inbetween - it takes about 1-1.5 minutes to melt the amount needed for MMF. I always make MMF a day before using it. It gives it a chance to mature and for the PS to incorporate into the fondant well. I've never used an entire 2 lbs of PS either, and have about 1-2 cups left over. As for rolling it out, it does dry a little bit harder than regular MMF so I zap it in the microwave for about 9-10 seconds to help soften it up so it will be easier to knead and roll out as usual. The more your knead the MMF the better and smoother it gets (my opinion). I wish you had better luck with it and give it another try. As for how much fondant you need, try this Fondant Amounts to Cover Cakes with chart by Wilton:http://www.wilton.com/decorating/fondant/fondant-amounts-to-cover-cakes.cfm

LisaKinVA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaKinVA Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 6:38pm
post #16 of 26

Thanks, Angela...I melted the candy in a double boiler.  We made white and Dark blue with this method without issue.  I just think i had "bad" candy melts (but they did incorporate into the marshmallows.  We probably didn't knead it enough the next day before rolling it out.  I have another cake to make this weekend, but I'll be making a french vanilla cake with a whipped nutella filling, and a milk chocolate ganache under chocolate MMF.  We'll be tinting our white MMF various colors(delphinium blue, a green, a pink and then keeping the white) to decorate (this is for my oldest dd's 11th birthday).  So...I guess we'll see.  The candy-coating MMF got RAVE reviews (wish I could say as much for the cake recipe...but that may have been my fault!)

We'll just keep plugging.  I don't do enough cakes to really know how everything is supposed to be...but I'm starting with the Wilton lessons next week, so that could all change :D  So much to test out!  So little time!

AngelFood4 Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 7:31pm
post #17 of 26

good to hear.  I'm a hobby baker too and don't do many cakes but it's all a learning process with each one.  Trial and error, we all learn.  Luckily, there is a massive network of cake decorators around to help and learn from.

pinky73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinky73 Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 4:53pm
post #18 of 26

I just made the red MMF recipe and it's FANTASTIC! I'm a hobby baker and have avoided making red anything because of all the issues people suffer. This red MMF could not have been any more simple to put together and I was almost giddy when I realized that I had conquered my fear of disasterous fondant coloring. Thank you for sharing the recipe. I pinned it to my pinterest board also. Thank you again!

TheTreeHouseBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheTreeHouseBakery Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 12:05am
post #19 of 26

AI haven't done it but I've read about using red jello fondant to get a bright red.

drakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakescakes Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 11:14am
post #20 of 26

A

Original message sent by LisaKinVA

I must be doing something wrong with mine...it got dry, and had an alligator-ish look to the fondant.  the colors and flavors were GREAT.  I sifted the PS, and didn't come close to using 2lbs of PS in the mixture (it was a bit on the tacky side when I greased it and wrapped it up for the night).  Should I have used it right away?  My daughter and I nearly had fits trying to roll that thing out in the morning.  I didn't use too much Crisco (just in the bowl, and on my hands when I was getting it ready to wrap).  OH, and the red candy melts did NOT melt like your photo.  I did get them to mix into the Marshmallows fine, but they were one big clump.  I used the melts from Hobby Lobby.  Next time, I'll get the Merkens, I think.

I don't do this type of thing all the time...but I'll probably be making a couple of fondant covered cakes in the not too distant future (if not a 3-tier sucker).  How much fondant do I need for a 14" round tier? (14, 10, and 6).  You can see our project below.  We were originally going to cover the letters in MMF...but didn't make enough and didn't have time to get what we needed and finish in time.  This was plan B.  Buttercream with MMF/tinted with melts as decoration.

Thanks.

[URL=http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2909298/]* [/URL]

[URL=http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2909299/]* [/URL]

How didv you get this nice red color? I am needing this not a bright red.

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 4:24pm
post #21 of 26

AShe added red Wilton candy melts to marshmallow fondant.

komalali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
komalali Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 6:46pm
post #22 of 26

AI need spider man face..and can't get exact red , how to paint the fondant?

DancingCakes2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DancingCakes2008 Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 6:59pm
post #23 of 26

AmeriColor food colorings are the best. I always get nice, deep, rich colors with minimal coloring. I will only use these.

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 7:46pm
post #24 of 26

I make MMF and if I have a color like red or black I add gel color (AmeriColor) into the melted marshmallows before adding the powdered sugar.  Doing this always give me rich, dark colors.  In fact, if I have a lot of any certain color to do on a cake I add the coloring first it saves from doing all of that kneading !

This is some red and black I have left over from some cakes earlier in the week.  Sorry about the quality of the pics, but it gives you an idea.

Morena45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Morena45 Posted 27 Oct 2015 , 5:34pm
post #25 of 26

There is a company called Marshmallow-Fondant.com that makes and sells the fondant color powder in all colors, including red and black and it works perfect for me:)

vicki muirhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki muirhead Posted 8 Oct 2018 , 11:13am
post #26 of 26

Use no taste red (Wilton) and equal red chocolate powder food colouring it works perfectly, mix well and leave a couple of days for the powder to absorb well

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%