Cake Competition Cakes

Decorating By Alfiesmom Updated 23 Jan 2013 , 4:51pm by metria

Alfiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alfiesmom Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 12:07am
post #1 of 7

I'm entering my first cake decorating competition, where the entries sit all weekend at a school.  The rules allow for cake dummies or real cake.  I don't have enough time to order dummies.  I was planning on making a really dense, inedible cake.  Is this something anyone does?  Any recipe suggestions?  Thanks in advance

6 replies
pieceofcaketx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceofcaketx Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 1:21am
post #2 of 7

I would think any dense cake would do, it would just get harder and dryer as it sat.

Which for a display cake isn't a bad thing.

Maybe a pound cake?

The Sugaree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The Sugaree Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 2:08am
post #3 of 7

AIn a pinch, I've bought dummies at Michael's. Look in the floral section.

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 3:01am
post #4 of 7

AI'd just make cake if you can't get dummies. It should be fine. I've had fondant cakes sit for a week without budging.

Alfiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alfiesmom Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 3:10am
post #5 of 7

thank you all.  i'm thinking pound cake will do.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 3:16am
post #6 of 7

Pound cake is a good choice. You can also use this form cake recipe, which bobwonderbuns originally posted here. It's original purpose is for competitions where real cake is required. I've used it several times and it works really well; it's also very cheap to make and all the ingredients are really easy to find. I've kept cakes made from it and covered in fondant for over a year. A couple of cautions, though. It's not great for carving as it's kind of hard to cut. If you're going to carve it, plan on doing so pretty much as soon as it cools. It also doesn't rise as well as real cake so you may need to bake additional layers.

1 Box Cake Mix (any, cheapest)
3 TBSP Meringue powder
3 TBSP Flour
1 Cup water
Mix well. Batter will be thick. Smooth out in pan and bake at 350 until browned.

Good luck at your competition!

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 4:51pm
post #7 of 7

another suggestion is making a cake dummy out of rice cereal treats.  you could line a cake tin with a sheet of plastic wrap and then cram in as much rice cereal treats as you can into it.  allow to firm up, then pull it out of the tin.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%