post #1 of 13

I am still new to the pricing of cakes.
How much would you charge for this cake??Baby Cake

I used 2.5 lb of wilton fondant, two 8'' chocolate cakes, buttercream icing

12 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 8:14pm
post #2 of 13

AThe best way to set a price is to look at your costs (ingredients + labor + per-order overhead) then add a markup for your profit to be in line with market prices in your area.

Hindy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hindy Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 13

Thanks so much! Could you give me a ball park figure of how much you would buy such a cake for?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 13

AFor a single tier 8" round with those decorations we would charge in the $120-150 range, but since every market is different I'm afraid that doesn't really help you.

mndart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mndart Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 9:18pm
post #5 of 13

I live in a relatively small town. People are on a tight budget and it is hard to get them to pay much for even the best quality cakes. I have learned that people are going to say yes and people are going to say no. Don't let your feelings get involved with your business (that advice was free of charge icon_wink.gif). I generally (there are always exceptions) charge 2.00/serving for buttercream and 2.50/serving for fondant. I know there are people who charge a lot more, but that is my base. Hope this helps!

Ali3971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ali3971 Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 13

Anywhere from $75 - $125 depending on what the market of your area is like.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 11:10pm
post #7 of 13

It's hard for me to say because I wold have made it a 4 layer cake (still about 4 inches) and used cutters for the lettering on the oversized base. With all of that I would charge $164. And for that price I would have probably put a little more detail on the blocks. Hope that's helpful at all.

Hindy Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 10:42pm
post #8 of 13

Thanks!

Hindy Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 1:19am
post #9 of 13

How much should I charge for this cake? 
It is made with the wilton doll mold, wilton fondant, and buttercream icing.

How much would you sell such a cake for?

?700

silverdragon997 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverdragon997 Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 1:22am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindy 

How much should I charge for this cake? 
It is made with the wilton doll mold, wilton fondant, and buttercream icing.

How much would you sell such a cake for?

?700

You need to add up how much your ingredients cost you, add in the amount for your overhead and labor, and then add in some more for profit.  If you are going to run a successful business, you need to be able to figure out how to price your own products.  

Hindy Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 3:56pm
post #11 of 13

Thank you silver dragon. I know how to price out my own cakes but since I am still a bit new to this I was just wanted to know a ball park figure for such a cake.

Edge Desserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edge Desserts Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 4:26pm
post #12 of 13

Figuring out how to price your cakes is tricky and it's hard to get someone to give you a clear cut answer... the best answer/advice I ever received was this.  If you're just starting out, price your cakes on the lower side.  When you start turning away business, raise your prices.  You may be in the "building a customer base" phase of your business.  Just make sure you don't charge too little... while you have to figure the cost of the materials and ingredients, don't forget that your time is valuable as well.  Make sure you are getting paid for the time you invest in a cake... Ask yourself "what is it worth to me to give up my time to make this particular cake?"  Sometimes, not getting the job/order is for the best.  Sometimes I will charge a little less if it's a cake I really WANT to make... but this is usually only for my repeat customers.  Hope this was at least somewhat helpful.   Good Luck!

Elaine

edgedesserts.com

Jess155 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess155 Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 4:41pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindy 

Thank you silver dragon. I know how to price out my own cakes but since I am still a bit new to this I was just wanted to know a ball park figure for such a cake.

Well since everyone here has different skill levels, different overhead, differents markets, I'd say your ballpark figure is going to be anywhere from $50 - $400.  Not helpful is it?  It does not matter what other people around the country (or different countries for that matter) are charging. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%