peppercorns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peppercorns Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 4:50am
post #1 of 15

AHelp! My RI keeps breaking

14 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 5:04am
post #2 of 15

It sounds to me like the icing might be just a tad too thick.  Have you tried thinning a tablespoon of it to see if that might work?

Rather than liquid/water try thinning w/just a drop or two of piping gel.

Is it breaking from air bubbles?  Did you strain it through a knee high stocking?

Could use more info :)

peppercorns Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 5:49am
post #3 of 15

AThank you, what proportion piping gel per cup of RI?

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 9:12am
post #4 of 15

Breaking RI is almost always airbubbles, especially when using the small writers, like 2, 1 and 0. It could also be a problem of pulling the icing when piping. As Kakeladi says, more info could help solve the problem.

kkmcmahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkmcmahan Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 12:44pm
post #5 of 15

I like adding corn syrup to royal icing for piping.  It gives it some elasticity making the piping easier.  I usually will put some RI in a small bowl and mix some corn syrup in, just enough to make it creamy.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 2:27pm
post #6 of 15

For Lambeth work information, read Eddie Spence's book on royal icing,  or Norma Laver's book on piping basics.  VERY detailed descriptions of how royal icing should feel when it has been mixed properly.  Check your public library.

I make the icing with three "large" graded egg whites per pound of sugar.  Beat on medium speed for several minutes rather than on high speed.  This is perfect for flowers and shell borders as made.

To soften for leaves and stringwork, use no more than 1 teaspoon of piping gel or corn syrup per cup of icing.

peppercorns Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 4:44pm
post #7 of 15

AThank you all for your help, the breaking and difficulty starts at pipe 1, I love pipe works,I'm new to this but I'm sure overtime, I will be as good as you all are. I have seen Eddie Spence RI book advertised on several websites I will definitely buy one.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 5:24pm
post #8 of 15

Air bubbles or you have sugar crystals.

If I'm doing any stringwork or Lambeth, I make my RI the day before, and I NEVER whip it.  I crack my eggs (yes, I use real eggs) and I sift in my powdered sugar a few tablespoons at a time gently stirring.  It's also helpful to add cream of tartar or lemon juice - the acid helps strengthen the protein in the eggs making the icing stronger and easier to work with.  Letting it sit for a day (or at least several hours) lets any air bubbles you worked into it come to the surface, it also helps any color you've added to fully develop.  I then put the bowl into another larger bowl and cover with plastic.  The next day, I give a gentle stir and check consistency.  If I'm doing 00 or 0 piping I will then take the RI and run it thru panty hose (I have a whole box of cheep-o knee highs that I use and toss).  This pulls out any sugar crystals.  I also use PME tips not Wilton.  Wilton tips have imperfections inside them that can catch your icing and make it curl when you pipe.  I rarely have this problem using my PMEs.

Keeping your tips immaculate is very important too - when you are done with them clean them really, really well.

peppercorns Posted 22 Jan 2013 , 12:37am
post #9 of 15

AThank you for your reply, I will change my tips to PMEs, I noted that curling happens even on Wilton tip 2, I thought I was going crazy,I'm glad you pointed that out.

FromScratchSF Posted 22 Jan 2013 , 12:48am
post #10 of 15

I have slowly been replacing ALL my Wilton tips with PME or Ateco.  Every time I start having issues piping something the 1st thing I do is make sure I didn't load a Wilton tip on my bag.  If I did, I swap out for another brand of tip and magically the problem goes away.

Good luck!

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 22 Jan 2013 , 1:22am
post #11 of 15

Ateco tips fit the same couplers as Wilton.

I highly recommend Ateco--I have never bought any other brand and I have never had any troubles.

FromScratchSF Posted 22 Jan 2013 , 4:14am
post #12 of 15

Yes they use the same couplers.  The PME tips are longer then both Ateco and Wilton's tips but are the same diameter at the base so they fit just fine.

peppercorns Posted 22 Jan 2013 , 11:06pm
post #13 of 15

AWow, all of you guys, you are all awesome, I love this site, I get more tips here than going to a cake class! Thank you so much,

DiddleMeSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiddleMeSweet Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 8:07pm
post #14 of 15

If your interested in learning the Lambeth technique I've done some research and I found a wonderful lady who actually teaches you via DVD. Which are very inexpensive, plus you don't have to leave your home, lol. Anyhow, google Tami Utley and she is the first one that pops up when you google or click on her name. I am learning "Llily A La Lambeth" I find it very informative and instructional for me. I am using my PME tips as I don't want my RI to curl either. I hope this was helpful.

peppercorns Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 1:38am
post #15 of 15

Oh my hello everyone, I am so thankful for all your help, I changed my tips, I bought Eddie Spence book, ordered a couple of Tamis' video on Lambeth, and I am happily learning. Has anyone incorporated Oriental Style and Lambeth piping on one cake?icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%