The Best Laid Schemes Of Mice And Cakers...

Decorating By SPCOhio Updated 22 Jan 2013 , 5:56am by crushed

SPCOhio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCOhio Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 2:48am
post #1 of 9

ARed velvet cake, bavarian creme filling and SMBC do NOT make a good combination. And here I thought it'd be such a sophisticated combination. It was as exciting as chewing on cardboard. Or maybe it's just because I've yet to meet a red velvet I actually enjoy.

8 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 3:12am
post #2 of 9

Didja ever think that the real original red velvet cakes might have had a missing ingredient?  Like homemade hooch?  I heard enough stories from elderly relatives about buying from bootleggers during prohibition--I would think that they must have doctored their cakes but couldn't write down the info. 

SPCOhio Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 3:36am
post #3 of 9

AThat is a fascinating possibility! I actually did come across a red velvet recipe that called for wine when I was researching to build my red velvet recipe. It certainly seems to be lacking that little something special, doesn't it? Maybe I should toss in a full bodied lager and see what happens!

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 5:08am
post #4 of 9

I was so sure raspberry SMBC would go with my southern red-velvet cake (not the chocolate kind, the buttermilk one). Nope. Didn't work. Red velvet cake continues to be a mystery to me.

SPCOhio Posted 22 Jan 2013 , 1:10am
post #5 of 9

AI have seen a few posts here praising the combination of red velvet and a raspberry filling. I was about to give that a go even though I was having a hard time envisioning the combination. These cakers are clearly more successful with red velvet than I have been! Or maybe it's just a matter of taste buds. My cake did taste remarkably better with American buttercream so I think beautifully delicate favors like SMBC and vanilla Bavarian creme are just not for red velvet.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 22 Jan 2013 , 1:19am
post #6 of 9

I was thinking of a good hard slosh of booze onto each sliced layer as you were assembling the cake.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 22 Jan 2013 , 4:16am
post #7 of 9

Hahahaha!  Seriously my favorite is red velvet with unflavored SMBC.  It's like butter on toast.  I make a oil based buttermilk one with a little cocoa powder.  Something about that combo is just tasty, especially if you don't love sweet cake.  

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 22 Jan 2013 , 4:59am
post #8 of 9

i thought i was the only one who didn't get it??

I have tried to add more cocoa, buttermilk, beet juice and vinegar and it still tastes like absolutely nothing to me. I can only guess that it's the cream cheese frosting that people like. 

crushed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crushed Posted 22 Jan 2013 , 5:56am
post #9 of 9

AEllaVanilla, you are right. It's the cream cheese frostingmost folks in my area are after. I try to steer them toward chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting. It's much much better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%