Baking For Non Profit

Lounge By BakingToo Updated 23 Jan 2013 , 1:18am by PinkCakeBox

BakingToo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingToo Posted 20 Jan 2013 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 4

I would like to start a non profit organization for bakers in the Dallas Fort Worth (Texas) area.  The organization would provide cakes, cupcakes, cookies, etc. for children who have life threatening illnesses and maybe even adults.  I know there are organizations already in existence worldwide but I wanted to focus on just this area.  I would be interested in knowing your experiences with the other organizations and/or if you would be interested in joining one for just this area.

I'm still trying to figure it all out and see if this is something I want to do or join the other organizations already in existence.

Please feel free to PM me with any comments too.

Thanks

Red

3 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 20 Jan 2013 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 4

May I suggest that you contact all the organizations already doing this in TX to ask how they screen bakers for compliance with your state's Cottage Food Producers regulations.

Then there is the major issue of finding out how they deal with food allergies.  You need to assume that this will be a major issue.  Do you have the liability insurance to even think about leading a group that donates food?

The list of recipients needs to be protected if you determine recipients by a medical condition. How will you screen, how will you decide, how will you protect your database. 

Maybe you can see a good reason to just join a reputable organization already in place if your primary intent is to donate food.  Your donations will be local.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 12:05am
post #3 of 4

Icing Smiles is a great charity if you are interested in providing cakes for sick children.  Check it out.

PinkCakeBox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkCakeBox Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 1:18am
post #4 of 4

Icing Smiles is a fantastic organization, and the great things about it is you can still have a local impact.  Application to apply is available here - http://www.icingsmiles.org/contact-us?qt-contact_page=1#qt-contact_page

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%