Flowerpaste Or Fondant?

Decorating By Chris449842 Updated 21 Jan 2013 , 10:43am by Chris449842

Chris449842 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chris449842 Posted 20 Jan 2013 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 6

Can someone please tell me, the little figures you see on top of cakes, like peppa pig, or winnie the pooh, the small version, are they made out of flowerpaste or your normal roll out icing?

Thanks xxx

5 replies
Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 20 Jan 2013 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 6

Here is a link to aine2 tutorial. She is a very talented lady who makes wonderful figures.

This is the way I normally do them but you could use half and half flowerpaste (gumpaste) to sugarpaste (fondant) too I have done this on smaller items.

Flowerpaste is really  for fine work like flowers, it dries quite quickly and is fragile. You need something that dries more slower so you have time to work on the model.

Chris449842 Posted 20 Jan 2013 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 6

Ohh thank you, so glad someone has cleared that up for me, thank you, off to watch the vid, that cake in yoru profile looks beautiful. So really keep flowerpaste for flowers?

Thank you again xx

Chris449842 Posted 20 Jan 2013 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 6

Me again, quite confused still, all the pretty cakes i see have lovely wee  decorative things on them, like handbags, butterflys, baby blocks,  still confused as to whether you would use flowerpaste or fondant? Do you really need to use CMC cant you do without it? 

Thank you

Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 20 Jan 2013 , 10:37pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the compliment.

You can use flowerpaste for fine details like butterflies ,bows ribbons especially where you want them to be wafer thin  like lettering but for models like peppa pig, Hello Kitty and for people you need modelling paste or equivelent as previously stated . It is possible not to use cmc but plain sugarpaste is too soft and never really dries hard , doesn't hold its shape well and you cannot roll it too thin which you need to do for letters and butterflies .Also you can get cmc quite reasonably on ebay as well as other good cake suppliers.

There is lots of information out there so do some searches especially on you tube. Just  bear in mind that we Brits call gumpaste flowerpaste and fondant sugarpaste . I remember being confused at first by this.

Chris449842 Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 10:43am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiepan 

Thanks for the compliment.

You can use flowerpaste for fine details like butterflies ,bows ribbons especially where you want them to be wafer thin  like lettering but for models like peppa pig, Hello Kitty and for people you need modelling paste or equivelent as previously stated . It is possible not to use cmc but plain sugarpaste is too soft and never really dries hard , doesn't hold its shape well and you cannot roll it too thin which you need to do for letters and butterflies .Also you can get cmc quite reasonably on ebay as well as other good cake suppliers.

There is lots of information out there so do some searches especially on you tube. Just  bear in mind that we Brits call gumpaste flowerpaste and fondant sugarpaste . I remember being confused at first by this.

Thanks Rosie, thats great,  so to do wee models, use gumpaste and sugarpaste together?

xxx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%