Buttercream Rose Disaster

Decorating By MeghanKelly Updated 14 Sep 2013 , 11:44pm by TheOriginalCakeDiva

MeghanKelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeghanKelly Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 3:49am
post #1 of 27

AI'm somewhat new to this, but I can't get my buttercream roses to work. I make a base using tip 12, and switch to tip 104, but when I start the first petal, the base flops over. Is there something I'm missing? Thanks :)

26 replies
Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 4:37am
post #2 of 27

AIts probably not stiff enough, just add some (sifted?) Powdered sugar, a little at a time to your bowl and keep practicing. If your sugar is lumpy, it will clog the small side of your tip.

FYI, I just use the 104, not the 12, to make the base. You learn that in the grocery store;-) you just hold your tip right to your nail, and squeeze like the Dickens, pulling up and letting pressure go. You can make a perfectly good cone without switching tips, that way.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 4:40am
post #3 of 27

AWatch a bunch of YouTube videos until you see how to do it that way. I make gorgeous roses, about 30 in ten minutes, my husband says I'm a rose making fool, lol, I wish I could post a video for you. But I definitely know what I am talking about :-)

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 8:16am
post #4 of 27

If you learn to make roses on a stick, you'd eliminate the blob base which saves time.

You can watch my video (and read the text at the bottom) to learn how to make 96 roses in 10 minutes (link in signature below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

I make gorgeous roses, about 30 in ten minutes, my husband says I'm a rose making fool, lol, I wish I could post a video for you. But I definitely know what I am talking about icon_smile.gif

Please share your video.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 11:01am
post #5 of 27

WOW, I think it would take me 10 minutes to make one, let alone 96!!!!

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 2:20pm
post #6 of 27

I also make the cones with the same tip as the petals.

I make a twirl with the base siting on the nail and the tip vertical, 3x around a circle.  Then another twirl on top, about 2x around.  Then start with 3 petals.

It takes a minute once you understand how to point the tip.  Seriously.  When you go SSLLOOWWLLYY you give the flower more chance to fall over in the first two stages.

And your first few "ugly" roses can always be scraped back into the bag and re-piped.  But if you want to avoid uglies, then start with a small single cone to make rosebuds.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 2:36pm
post #7 of 27

I learned to make mine on a stick.   I went to walmart and bought a small container of cheap (yucky) icing, got a stick and sat in front of a you tube video.   I am left handed to it took me twice as long to figure it all out. 

BakingIrene Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 2:44pm
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle 

I learned to make mine on a stick.   I went to walmart and bought a small container of cheap (yucky) icing, got a stick and sat in front of a you tube video.   I am left handed to it took me twice as long to figure it all out. 

You might want to stock up on the left handed flower petal tubes, Wilton has been pruning their list of tips.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 3:25pm
post #9 of 27

Unlimited, How did you get your roses off the stick?  I learned to use a scissors to pull it off and place it but that requires more hand movements than what you do. 

Unlimited Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 3:59pm
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by denetteb 

Unlimited, How did you get your roses off the stick?  I learned to use a scissors to pull it off and place it but that requires more hand movements than what you do. 

Ahhhh, the secret lies in the text.  (That's why I wrote "and read the text at the bottom".)  The answer is typed at the bottom of the video which includes a link to another visual.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 4:01pm
post #11 of 27

Irene...I've never heard of a left handed flower petal tube...what is that?  

Denetteb...when I remove my rose off the stick.....I turn the stick as I am pulling the rose up off the stick.   If that makes sense. 

DOLCIdiROSIE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DOLCIdiROSIE Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 5:24pm
post #12 of 27

You have not the right consistency of your buttercream. When I make buttercream flowers I use the Cake Boss recipe Decorator's Buttercream and it is fantastic !

MeghanKelly Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 5:48pm
post #13 of 27

AThanks everyone. I have all weekend with an empty house (yay!) and will be practicing all weekend :)

BakingIrene Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 5:53pm
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle 

Irene...I've never heard of a left handed flower petal tube...what is that?  

Look at tubes 59 and 97.  Because they curl, they had to be designed right handed and (later) left handed. 

There are tubes 97L and 116L so you can make the same fuller blown roses.  Tubes 59L, 160(=60L), 161 (=61L) for other flowers with curved petals. Tubes 106L and 107L for drop flowers.

You might have to get some of these from www.goldaskitchen.com (search box "left tube") because they are both Wilton and Ateco numbers--but Wilton has reduced their offering.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 6:02pm
post #15 of 27

The only way that I can make a passable buttercream rose is on a stick, so I can vouch for that being easier than flat. I stick to gumpaste, it's much easier to get a flower instead of a blob that way.

MeghanKelly Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 6:14pm
post #16 of 27

Ironically, I have no problems with Gumpaste roses. LOL.  Go figure.

BakingIrene Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 6:25pm
post #17 of 27

It would be useful to start by making flattish wild roses or pansies until you can make those well. You have to get the hang of moving both the nail and the tip of the bag at the same time.

Then instead of starting with a full sized rose, it might be easier to pipe sweetheart roses.

Tube 103: make one full circle on the nail with the tip vertical (wide end against nail) by rotating the NAIL with fingers, not the tube. Hold the bag with your piping hand and do NOT move it at all.

Then rotate piping hand so tube is at 45 degree angle from vertical. Then add 3 small petals, then 5 more under those. End of ordeal.  Decent small rose to use wherever you need.

For each petal, you have to rotate nail at the same time you loop up/down with piping hand to shape petal.  If you are watching a video, make sure you pay attention to these motions with both hands at the same time.

I keep a box full of parchment squares and a cookie sheet handy.  Nail stays in off hand all the time.  Piping hand slides edge of paper off and then picks bag up again.  Dip nail into box for next flower.

Unlimited Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 7:19pm
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by remnant3333 

Learn to make them right on to the cake!!! And yes, you need stiffer icing. Look at this stacking and fixing video in the second last half of video and it shows you how to make roses right on top of cake. Also if you are new check out all of her videos and you will learn so much more. Visual learning is always best for me!!! You can practice on top of cupcakes!! Just keep practicing and you will learn!!/Good luck

http://seriouscakes.com/wordpress/?page_id=498

Making them right on the cake is not productive enough for me.  At 93 seconds each on the cake (that's about 6.5 roses in 10 minutes), you need to twirl them on something a lot smaller/faster than a turntable.  It's apparent they can be made more productively if you never need to let go of your tools in either hand just to pick them up again to continue, but piping directly on the cake would drive me crazy --  I've got too many things to do before I die!  (Sorry, I'm repeating myself now -- need to find something more productive to do!)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Jan 2013 , 4:13am
post #19 of 27

It sure sounds like  your icing is not stiff enough and/or you are making your center much too tall and thin.  Some people suggest using a Hershey's kiss as the center mound but not all your customers will like having choco & it's an added expense! So what I taught was to have a Kiss in front of you can get the size and shape correct.  Then make sure the icing is stiff enough but not so stiff it kills your hand to pipe it out :)

denetteb Posted 19 Jan 2013 , 4:59am
post #20 of 27

Unlimited, I just looked back at your videos again and just don't see where you explained it.  I see a couple of comments from others but not yours. 

Unlimited Posted 19 Jan 2013 , 7:37am
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by denetteb 

Unlimited, I just looked back at your videos again and just don't see where you explained it.  I see a couple of comments from others but not yours. 

I also can't view the text from my laptop (I don't know why), but I can from my desktop.  Here's the text:

I don’t use scissors to take the roses off the stick. It’s not the most productive way if you have to put your bag down to grab another tool (the scissors) to run up the nail/stick and then use another step to wipe it off the scissors. With this setup, you can easily make 600 roses per hour. I’ll explain…You’ll need: 1=Full size BUN sheet cake pan (approx. 18” x 24”), ?=Bakery pan liners (parchment-type paper), 1=Optional 20” custom-fabricated metal rod with three 1”-2” spikes or Optional 20” custom-fabricated wooden rod with three 1”-2” hardware nails. First of all, you need to modify one of your full size BUN pans by— 1.) cutting off two corners, 2.) folding down the entire edge of that end of the pan, and 3.) cutting notches out of the lipped area up to the bend. Before cutting the notches, you need to decide your preference as to how many roses that you want your pan to hold. (6 roses per row X 8 rows = 48 roses per pan every 5 minutes, or 7 roses per row X 11 rows = 77 roses per pan every 7-8 minutes.) Tape your parchment pan liner over the notched area on the pan and let the rest of the paper hang freely below (or use the optional rod instead of tape, but you’ll need to cut additional notches for each row in the pan sides to hold the rod). To remove your completed rose from the stick, wipe or drag each rose into one of the “V”-shaped notches in the pan that is covered by the paper. When you’ve completed one row, move the paper up and continue piping another row of roses. Repeat until the pan is full. This is the short version—I hope it makes sense. Have fun! Photo of tray: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/real_faker/Panwithpaperangleshot.jpg
Unlimited Posted 19 Jan 2013 , 7:46am
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by remnant3333 

Unlimited, To each his own!! I do not work and am retired so I have plenty of time! You can do roses your way and I will do them my way.  If I sold cakes for a living then maybe I would do the roses differently but for now I enjoy doing them on the cake.

Of course, I can continue piping roses my way (thankyouverymuch), and I can't stop you from making them your way (whichever way that may be).  I didn't diss you for how you make them as I don't know your method (you didn't say you made them the same way as in the video you linked to).

I've got plenty of time too.  I USED to work on an assembly line, and it ruins you for the rest of your life when it comes to idle time... you can't sit still without thinking of ways to multi-task, carry too many things (instead of making two trips), have restful sleep without dreaming about what needs to get done, etc.!

denetteb Posted 19 Jan 2013 , 3:16pm
post #23 of 27

Unlimited, thanks for posting the words  (I am viewing on a desk top but the words don't show.)  Your assembly line efficiency definitely shows up on your pan removal creation. 

mcpr77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcpr77 Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 8:10pm
post #24 of 27

hi,,can i make bk rosses with ahead of time..how many day on advanced

Unlimited Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 8:43pm
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpr77 

Sure you can.  The sooner you make them, the longer they'll have to air dry which will make them easier to handle and place.  Two days in advance might be long enough to handle gently, four days would be better, and a week or two earlier wouldn't hurt either!

mcpr77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcpr77 Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 2:32am
post #26 of 27

AThanks

TheOriginalCakeDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheOriginalCakeDiva Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 11:44pm
post #27 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcpr77 

If you want to make the roses in advance, try making them with royal icing and letting them dry :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%