Heavenly Cake Pop Roller... Yikes...

Baking By SugarMama5 Updated 21 Oct 2016 , 2:39am by Sune_Lane

SugarMama5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama5 Posted 17 Jan 2013 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 58

AOk so I was really excited when I saw the heavenly cake pop roller on sale for $100. So I ordered it. I got it yesterday and tried making my Oreo truffles (I always make them for my cake pops, they taste better and hold up really well when dipping). Wow. They totally fell apart in my roller. Yikes. Not good. Has anyone had any success making Oreo truffles with them or cake pops. I'm sure that my consistency must be off, or at least that's the only thing I can figure. Kinda frustrating. Good thing I used Christmas $ to buy it and good thing it wasn't the original $269!! I really want to make this work... It's such a great concept. I'd rather spend less time rolling but I don't want to spend a million years trying to figure out how to keep my balls together. At that rate, I may as well hand roll them! ;)

Any tips would be greatly appreciated :)

57 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 58

it looked like such a cool tool

surely it's a minor adjustment of some kind? i hope!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 3:41pm
post #3 of 58

what do the cake pop roller people say???

did you get a chance to ask them?

SugarMama5 Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 10:49pm
post #4 of 58

AThey thought it was the consistency too. I put my Oreo truffles back in the fridge to get really cold and then kneaded it, like they recommended. It kinda worked. Some rolled well and some just were stuck. I'm going to try with cake next time and hopefully it'll be better. I'll let you all know what happens next time ;)

SugarMama5 Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 11:31pm
post #5 of 58

second attempt... fail... this one I did red velvet and icing... still not holding it's shape when it rolls. thumbsdown.gif Really not happy... 

Anyone else have the easy roller? Is anyone having success? If yes, what's your cake to icing  ratio/consistency?

So freaking glad I didn't pay full price for it. Sigh.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 11:52pm
post #6 of 58

I just got one as well.  My first "roll" was so-so.  I threw it back in the bowl and tried again.  Much better luck the second time.   I was using cake/little bit of frosting, not Oreo truffles. Now, I was only able to roll two logs at a time, as I kept rolling too far and having lumps fall out when I tried to do 3!  14 is still better than 1!

I know a lot of people don't like it, but there is a lady in my town that runs a quite busy legal business, and swears by it.  I had to leave town for a week right after receiving  mine, so I am anxious to give it another go.

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 22 Jan 2013 , 12:28am
post #7 of 58

I was about to buy one! I was really excited especially after seeing the reviews on that thing, but something came up and I didn't end up buying one  :(
Try posting your problem on their Facebook Page maybe they can help you out tips and whatsnot!

http://www.facebook.com/BestCakePops

I haven"t done cake pops before but would LOVE to try them out. 

Good luck and keep us posted :)

SugarMama5 Posted 22 Jan 2013 , 8:19pm
post #8 of 58

AI did post on their FB page. They said it must be consistency. They also said that its an all or nothing tool. That didn't make me feel much better. And that if anything at least I can portion my cake balls out quickly. Frankly, I don't need a $100 tool, that takes up alot if cupboard space to portion out my cake pops for me. I bought it to ROLL my cake pops. I asked them what their icing to cake ratio is, just so I can compare my recipes to theirs and so I can tweak my recipes if necessary. I still haven't heard back from them.

Oreo truffles were try #1. Red velvet cake pops (cake & icing) were try #2... Not any better. I'm sure if I can get the ratios to what they're using, it should work. But I still don't know what they're using! Sigh. So for now, I'd say it was a waste of money. I'll try some more times, but it cost $$ to keep trying... And I don't need more cake & treats laying around my house, just in the name of trying to get this thing to work ;)

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Jan 2013 , 9:25pm
post #9 of 58

My first try wasn't successful either but once I got the consistency right it works great.  I don't know the exact ratio I use.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 22 Jan 2013 , 9:59pm
post #10 of 58

Everyone once was excited when they came out long ago. Then people started having problems. They talked about it in these threads. Some people got solutions, I think.

http://cakecentral.com/t/713330/cake-pop-roller

http://cakecentral.com/t/746715/for-avid-cake-ball-and-cake-pop-makers

SugarMama5 Posted 22 Jan 2013 , 11:54pm
post #11 of 58

AI'll check them out! Thanks!!

babycakes77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babycakes77 Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 3:20am
post #12 of 58

It's definitely a consistency thing. I ordered one when they first came out and couldn't get it to roll my cake pops when I was using my normal cake + frosting mixture. I emailed the woman who invented it and she told me to try using a cake from a mix (I bake from scratch) and to put the cooked, cooled cake in a food processor until it's the consistency of play-doh. I did that and I was able to get the roller to work properly BUT I hated the consistency of the cake balls so I came to the conclusion that the roller will not work for me. :(

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 4:17am
post #13 of 58

$100?  day-um.  I bought in early at the low low price of way more than that.  And I have never gotten the thing to work properly.  She did say to use a box mix, no frosting.  I bake from scratch, so that was no solution for me.  Sometimes I portion scoop out the amounts, do a quick mash together, and then use the gadget to roll them into balls.  But even that doesn't always work.    Cute idea, but big waste of $.

SugarMama5 Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 8:14pm
post #14 of 58

AI agree, biggest waste of $$. Kicking myself for getting it. And when I ask them for the ratio of cake to icing, they don't/won't respond. I may try to sell it on Ebay, or maybe Kijiji. It's not that small, I'd rather have my cupboard space ;) Babycakes77, I know I hate the mushy consistency of too much icing in the cake pops. It's really gross... Then what's the point of even making them?? Gross, mushy cake pops = not worth even a minute of my time

trinaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trinaf Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 9:02pm
post #15 of 58

I saw this gadget at ICES Charlotte NC and met the inventors.  She said she doesn't add any icing at all to the cake.  She also was demonstrating with a ball of cake "dough" that appeared to be rolled over and over.  It was very impressive and I think that the rerolling/kneading of the same dough is the key to get the consistency needed.   

SugarMama5 Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 9:14pm
post #16 of 58

A

Original message sent by trinaf

I saw this gadget at ICES Charlotte NC and met the inventors.  She said she doesn't add any icing at all to the cake.  She also was demonstrating with a ball of cake "dough" that appeared to be rolled over and over.  It was very impressive and I think that the rerolling/kneading of the same dough is the key to get the consistency needed.   

How did she get it to that point? I'd like to know...

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 9:28pm
post #17 of 58

(GAG) Food processor. (GAG!) Sorry, I can't even watch the videos of the rolling (GAG), or see them balled up (GAG) without thinking of the texture (GAAAG!)

SugarMama5 Posted 26 Jan 2013 , 7:07pm
post #18 of 58

A

Original message sent by Annabakescakes

(GAG) Food processor. (GAG!) Sorry, I can't even watch the videos of the rolling (GAG), or see them balled up (GAG) without thinking of the texture (GAAAG!)

Lol... Ya, that's what I think too...

Annabakescakes Posted 26 Jan 2013 , 7:31pm
post #19 of 58

AEver since getting teeth, I have liked to chew my own food, and the gloppy, gooey prechewed texture is just too much for me!

MegansCakePops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MegansCakePops Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 4:22pm
post #20 of 58

Any of you ladies that have the roller and not happy with it interested in selling it? I'd like to give it a shot but I'm afraid I might have similar results so I'm not sure I want to pay full price. May help both of us out - letting you recoup some of the money lost if its just going to collect dust in your cabinet icon_biggrin.gif

Let me know!

You can shoot me an email at [email protected]

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 4:53pm
post #21 of 58

I own one, and have the same gag response as above. What I've found, though, is that if people don't know how it's done they think these little poo-balls are wonderful.

Annabakescakes Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 5:34pm
post #22 of 58

I was messing around the other day, with my cakes tops, and some carved off pieces of cake, and I mashed them together a bit, and had a bite, and it was okay, not too bad, nothing to write home about...So I mashed and mashed and tried it again...YUCK! But then I kneaded it like she does in the video and warmed it quite a bit with my hands and it lost all texture and turned fondant-like and was stretchy and gooey. It as all I could do to put it to my lips, but I did, and GAG!!! so nasty! I let it cool. and set and set for about 3 hours, and it was a little less nasty, but still horrible. I really can't see serving these to people!

SugarMama5 Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 5:45pm
post #23 of 58

AIt's just sitting in my cupboard wasting space... Makes me crazy every time I look at it. I have cake pops to do this week. I'm debating taking it out and trying it again... But if it doesn't work again then it's just one more thing to clean and a waste of time again. I'm not willing to sacrifice taste for time. @megan... Do you really want to buy one?

MegansCakePops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MegansCakePops Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 7:31pm
post #24 of 58

@Sugarmama5 - Yup, I'd like to at least give it a try to see if I can't make it work. Let me know how much you would be willing to sell it for and maybe we can work something out!

Alycee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alycee Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 1:59am
post #25 of 58

ADid you sell it???

SugarMama5 Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 3:14am
post #26 of 58

AI have someone local picking it up tomorrow. I don't have all the packaging and I thought I'd give it a shot selling it here.

crosssolja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crosssolja Posted 12 Nov 2013 , 1:41am
post #27 of 58

AI am interested in purchasing from someone ... I would pay $40 for a used machine in working order

debykakes808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debykakes808 Posted 10 Dec 2013 , 10:50am
post #28 of 58

I am considering purchasing this cake pop roller....but after reading this thread, I am now skeptical...I would expect the roller to include recipes. hmmmm...for a first time cake pop maker making such a costly purchase, I had hoped to have recipes to make "cake dough" .... what's cake dough? is it cooked or uncooked?8-O

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Dec 2013 , 12:51pm
post #29 of 58

ACake dough is baked then crumbled cake , mashed and kneaded soooo much it gets dough-like. I bought the roller. Seriously, walk away.

Linmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linmarie Posted 3 Jan 2014 , 8:33pm
post #30 of 58

AI have been wanting to try this ... Would you want to sell yours to me?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%