How Many Cupcakes Per Person?

Baking By cakeadoodle Updated 17 Jan 2013 , 8:10pm by -K8memphis

cakeadoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeadoodle Posted 17 Jan 2013 , 1:00am
post #1 of 19

I got a request for cupcakes for a wedding.  They are expecting about 150 people and are baking regular sized cupcakes, I am just doing the decorating.  I have heard different ideas as to how many cupcakes they should have per person, anywhere from 1, 1.5 or 2.  Any suggestions and/or recommendations from experience would be greatly appreciated.

18 replies
Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 17 Jan 2013 , 1:30am
post #2 of 19

First things first, I would NEVER, NEVER, EVER decorate anyone's cupcakes, unless it was a family member I grew up with, for a family gathering. Or all in the same bakery, like one person does all the baking, while there is another for decorating. If these are clients, this could very well end in tears, or getting sued. How do you even know where they came from? Walmart?thumbsdown.gif What if they are dry and they say you didn't store them right? I just wouldn't do it....

cakeadoodle Posted 17 Jan 2013 , 1:34am
post #3 of 19

You didn't even answer my question so why bother to respond?  I have been doing this for a VERY LONG TIME so I know what I am doing as far as when to decorate cupcakes baked by someone else. 

Izzy Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Izzy Sweet Posted 17 Jan 2013 , 1:37am
post #4 of 19

Is this the only thing they are serving for dessert?

cakeadoodle Posted 17 Jan 2013 , 3:32am
post #5 of 19

Not sure Izzy.  Waiting for them to get back to me on that.  I know that would help in determining how many cupcakes.

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 17 Jan 2013 , 3:55am
post #6 of 19

AI'd say 1.5 to be safe. 1 if there are other desserts. 2 is going to be way too many.

Izzy Sweet Posted 17 Jan 2013 , 4:03am
post #7 of 19

Yes I agree

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 17 Jan 2013 , 5:16pm
post #8 of 19

A

Original message sent by cakeadoodle

You didn't even answer my question so why bother to respond?  I have been doing this for a VERY LONG TIME so I know what I am doing as far as when to decorate cupcakes baked by someone else. 

I bother to respond because I've been doing this a long time too, and I know better than to decorate someone else's product. I think that is a much more important issue than how many, but since you ask, at least a dozen a piece ;-)

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 17 Jan 2013 , 5:46pm
post #9 of 19

AGenerally weddings usually have tons of food so 1 per person is probably sufficient, but I recommend 1.5 if they want to make sure they have enough for people who want seconds and don't have other dessert options.

I also wouldn't worry about decorating someone else's cupcakes as long as the customer knows not to tell everyone that you baked the cupcakes and the contract is clear that you are offering decorating services only and disclaiming responsibility for the cupcakes themselves. Of course the price to decorate their cupcakes would be the same as the price to bake your own and decorate them.

Texan Aunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texan Aunt Posted 17 Jan 2013 , 7:00pm
post #10 of 19

I would definitely do as Jason said if this isn't family or close friends. I have done this once before for my pastor's daughter. Her mom baked her favorite cupcake recipe and gave them to me the weekend before. As soon as I got home with them, I froze them and decorated them a week later, they turned out great. 

There was one slight hitch up with them, this was August in Houston (HUMID) they had gotten taken in and out of a refrigerator I think 3 times before I got them, so the paper wrappers the were baked in  were peeling off some. So I called her up and got some foil wrappers put a dab of icing in the bottom and pushed 'em in, worked great! The pic is in my albums. When we determined how many we would need we went for about 5 extra for every 30-40 RSVP-ed guests.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Jan 2013 , 7:10pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Aunt 

I would definitely do as Jason said if this isn't family or close friends. I have done this once before for my pastor's daughter. Her mom baked her favorite cupcake recipe and gave them to me the weekend before. As soon as I got home with them, I froze them and decorated them a week later, they turned out great. 

There was one slight hitch up with them, this was August in Houston (HUMID) they had gotten taken in and out of a refrigerator I think 3 times before I got them, so the paper wrappers the were baked in  were peeling off some. So I called her up and got some foil wrappers put a dab of icing in the bottom and pushed 'em in, worked great! The pic is in my albums. When we determined how many we would need we went for about 5 extra for every 30-40 RSVP-ed guests.

yes and no on the working with another's baking

(in and out the frig three times before she even got them--yikes!)

because we do have to jump through umpteen flaming hoops to be legal

it only stands to reason to guard yourself and guard your product

i mean collaborating is great but you cannot control things and your name is irrevocably attached

god forbid if something happened, the chances are certainly minute

but your name would def be in the mix

professionally i would not do it--i know none of the retail places i worked for would do it

for friends maybe

for family sure

-K8memphis Posted 17 Jan 2013 , 7:14pm
post #12 of 19

and one per person is fine i think

it's expensive

it should be sufficiently decadent to stop most from getting another

my son, the former chef, taught me to leave them wanting more

not that they are still hungry or neglected but that it's so good

edited to 'splain better

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 17 Jan 2013 , 7:21pm
post #13 of 19

A

Original message sent by -K8memphis

my son, the former chef, taught me to leave them wanting more

This can be subjective depending on who you are selling to. In some cultures it would be a huge embarrassment for the host to even come close to running out of any dish.

-K8memphis Posted 17 Jan 2013 , 7:30pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

This can be subjective depending on who you are selling to. In some cultures it would be a huge embarrassment for the host to even come close to running out of any dish.

sorry--i meant one per head so each person gets one

running out does suck

but in my world that is determined by how many the bride wants to pay for

not my decision

and also in fine dining, you don't usually send back to the kitchen for more

i'm kinda linking a fine dining concept to cakes--maybe not exactly a straight line there

but my particular servings are so decadent that you might want another but you're actually pretty full/satisfied from the first one

it's a chef mind game kinda thought

not an oliver 'can i have some more, sir'  thought  icon_lol.gif

nothing written in stone--plenty of different ways to cut it

-K8memphis Posted 17 Jan 2013 , 7:38pm
post #15 of 19

not to mention that's why it's such a painstaking decision to make

generally a bride does not want to over buy at all too costly

but sure they don't want to run out either usually

but some do intentionally run out because they don't wanna buy enough in the first place

they just want a cake for the pictures mostly

if it's the sloppy joes and you run out that's a problem

in catering you can still still get popped for extra servings served

for a cake it's all decided in advance and let the crumb$ fall where they may huh

there's cultured and un-cultured icon_lol.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 17 Jan 2013 , 7:40pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeadoodle 

I got a request for cupcakes for a wedding.  They are expecting about 150 people and are baking regular sized cupcakes, I am just doing the decorating.  I have heard different ideas as to how many cupcakes they should have per person, anywhere from 1, 1.5 or 2.  Any suggestions and/or recommendations from experience would be greatly appreciated.

If you are just doing the decorating, just decorate however many cupcakes they bake.  It's up to them to decide how many servings they wish to provide.

Izzy Sweet Posted 17 Jan 2013 , 7:41pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

In my Italian family ,you best have more lmao !!!!

K8 - I agree it is up to the bride and what her budget is. I have worked with some of chefs and they do that mind game all the time, it makes you go home thinking of how badly you want to taste more and you usually end up with more customers because of that. Of course to me this was insane because I am Italian and we always cook for an army even if it is a dinner for 2 lol.

-K8memphis Posted 17 Jan 2013 , 7:46pm
post #18 of 19

omg, iz

there's only two of us now

two

it's really an art form in itself to cook for one + one

i love quantity cooking almost as much as baking

I freeze a lot of portions

icon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Posted 17 Jan 2013 , 8:10pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy Sweet 

In my Italian family ,you best have more lmao !!!!

K8 - I agree it is up to the bride and what her budget is. I have worked with some of chefs and they do that mind game all the time, it makes you go home thinking of how badly you want to taste more and you usually end up with more customers because of that. Of course to me this was insane because I am Italian and we always cook for an army even if it is a dinner for 2 lol.

a chef is kind of the antithesis of a good boat captain

chefs plant icebergs that captains live to avoid

where on your plate all you see is this amazing small portion

that packs so much wallop deep down inside

you wake up in the morning looking pathetically for some in the frig

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

sorry op i'm way off topic--please forgive me

over and out

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%