Buyer Beware--Ge Profile Convection Oven.

Decorating By Rosina0525 Updated 18 Jan 2013 , 2:49pm by -K8memphis

Rosina0525 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosina0525 Posted 17 Jan 2013 , 12:51am
post #1 of 7

I have a barely over 1 year old  (delivered 12/26/2011)  GE electric baking/convection oven.  The oven started running hot right before holiday baking time.  I have a mercury thermometer in my oven showing that any time I set the temperature over 350 degrees, the oven went well over 400 degrees, pushing 450.  I could see cookies toasting before my eyes.  Also, I measured -37 degress using my husband's grill thermometer.

GE honored their 1 year warranty because they could not send a repairman out before Christmas.  The control panel was replaced on January 3.  Then the thermostat was replaced on January 11. The oven was calibrated to -30 degrees; the max is -35.

Now GE Customer Service staff are saying they will not honor the warranty, but will honor the 30 day repair warranty on the thermostat and control panel.  They're due for a third visit on Friday.

My husband and I spent about $1500 on this range/oven. I would never have purchased the GE Profile Range or spent that much money on this if I'd known I'd have so much trouble within a year.

There is a federal law named Manguson-Moss Warranty Act.  If the oven doesn't work and cannot be repaired, it has to be replaced or a refund provided.  I contacted HH Gregg, where I purchased the range.  They said there have to be four attempts to repair the oven before they will replace it.

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Jan 2013 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 7

for what it's worth

i have a 10 year old ge profile (not convection)

that the oven went to pot maybe 6=7 years ago

the digital dial will read that it is pre-heated to 400

turn it off

turn it right back on

and it will register 340 degrees and have to come up 60 degrees to get to 400

it does not cycle properly

it can take 45 mins to 'pre-heat'' even with the 60 degree variable

so yes buyer beware

i really labored over this decision back then

a home oven is not something that should have to be replaced every few years

hope you get some good satisfaction from your ordeal

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 3:24am
post #3 of 7

I bought that dreadful oven in 2001. It never worked right and I complained so many times they came and hauled it away. Then they told me to buy my next range from another company. I was banned from GE!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 4:48am
post #4 of 7

AI have a stove in my bakery that I got from my mil house when she moved. She had it for 30 years and I have had it for 2, works perfectly. Not to brag, lol, just to say that yes, that is a POS. A stove should last 30 years or more. I got mine on Craigslist for $300, the oven had never been used, but the matching microwave is on its last leg, Haha...

-K8memphis Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 2:03pm
post #5 of 7

this is what i almost got

they look vintage but are the latest & greatest

many different colors and configurations available

several times the price of my profile but

i'm sure it would still work at least

too late now though...

...when the oil well comes in!!! icon_lol.gif

plus toss in one of these 'french door', 'old fashioned' friges

all color coordinated icon_biggrin.gif

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 2:09pm
post #6 of 7

AKate, I love them!!! I need to find them when I do my dream kitchen! I bet they cost a mint!

-K8memphis Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 2:49pm
post #7 of 7

i was really surprised to find the variety in the brands of vintage looking stoves available

and they were def available used too--even lots more used available now

on the elmira stove website --you can design your own with colors and style choices & it's pretty fun

but i remember now--there was a one inch difference in my space and their stove at the time anyhow

i could have worked around it but

i had just gotten a lovely generous 'you got laid off' package and just went with a more practical one

i thought it was more practical anyhow

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%