I Was Wondering...

Business By Taviaa Updated 27 Jan 2013 , 4:35am by BrandisBaked

Taviaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taviaa Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 20

Do You Have to Go To college to be a cake designer.. If So How many years .. and is it a specif career cluster for it .Also In High School where would be a good place to start?icon_biggrin.gif

19 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 20

no you do not have to attend to college

tons of techniques are free for the viewing online and in books etc.

you just have to practice

and same for any class --just because you are attending does not guarantee you that expertise

only practicing does

lots of cakers are not trained in a classroom

attending classes conducted by individual cake artists is extremely valuable though

attending culinary school for any discipline is wonderfully rewarding, fun 

and while not necessary it does afford you a great networking avenue

and you can start today if you want--anytime!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 20

AIf you want to work for someone else as a cake decorator, all you need are baking and decorating skills, and that does not require college. If you want to start and run your own business (or have the flexibility to change careers in the future) college is highly recommended.

-K8memphis Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 20

yes highly!

Taviaa Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 5:12pm
post #5 of 20

so for practice could I Take any classes for it or no .?

Taviaa Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 5:13pm
post #6 of 20

are they Trained Period or is i just something you just find out.?

-K8memphis Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 5:28pm
post #7 of 20

it's not like receiving a degree to be a doctor or a teacher or an engineer

it's a compilation of various studies to learn how to practice so you can acquire the skills, translate that into an art form

culinary schools primarily pump out chefs and pastry chefs--for the restaurant/hotel trades

(who by the way typically gain no additional wages for the trouble of having attended school but i digress)

restaurant work is so different from cake deco/art but can include it and more high end sugar art

full blown bakery work is so different than cake deco/art but can include it

just so many different facets to the food/pastry rainbow of gems

but strictly cake deco, i don't know of any viable 'school' from start to finish i guess

maybe some of the very elite places $$$

it would be contained within the pastry field

it's a journey a lifelong journey at that

-K8memphis Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 5:37pm
post #8 of 20

ok--so part of the beauty of cake deco is you can learn and practice anytime

right now even

if you could learn any two cake deco things what do you want to know first?

big or small, advanced or newbie

two things

melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 5:53pm
post #9 of 20

I started by taking the basic Wilton Method Classes that they now host at Michales, Jo-Ann, A.C Moore etc.  That is is how I learned core skills like leveling a cake, making buttercream, smoothing a cake, piping borders, rolling and applying fondant, stacking cakes, basic gumpaste flowers. You can take those classes while still in high school and they will give you a place to start. I learned the basics through decorating classes, and then just improved with practice, Youtube, online tutorials...so many sources out there you can use right now.

I have a degree in marketing which has helped in the business aspect and I highly recommend looking into if your goal is to open a shop.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 6:06pm
post #10 of 20

If you want to run your own business you could find a program that was a culinary program that had business classes. Most people who do cakes have a lot of practice to explain their skills, but the ones who are successful realize that the business side of it is just as important as being able to decorate a cake. Get a good background in how to run a business and you'l be WAY ahead of the game.

-K8memphis Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 6:36pm
post #11 of 20

there's no straight line to becoming a 'cake designer' unless

you are related to someone who would shepherd you

and you are internally wired/driven to do it as well

it's a combination of so many things

Izzy Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Izzy Sweet Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 7:10pm
post #12 of 20

Wilton has a practice mat you can purchase for borders and such, I bought one just last week.I have taken the wilton courses and they help tremendously.if you have an imagination you already have your first skill :) ..

For business side is is such a great idea and very much suggested to take some business courses at your college or university.I wish I had that behind me, I have managed so many restaruants but it was just not enough. When it comes to the business side if you ever want to run your own business there are so many things that a great education can show you and give you the tools that you will need in everyday occurances in running a business. if you are just looking to be working for someone though take some of the classes that your local hobby shop offers.

Start your stock pile now of things like fondant cutters and such when they are on sale.Practice practice practice, let your imagination run wild and have a good time. Some of the best cakes come from somebody with an idea in the middle of the night so make sure you write your ideas down and experiment.

HAVE FUN!!!!! that is the most important thing

Izzy Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Izzy Sweet Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 7:16pm
post #13 of 20
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 8:38pm
post #14 of 20

OP, you might find this interesting:

http://naomi-sugarspice.blogspot.com/2012/07/piping-techniques-for-cake-decorating.html

You could go to www.wilton.com and look under patters. Print some out, cover with plastic cling wrap, and practice piping over the designs with various tips, such as

http://www.wilton.com/downloads/patterns/pbww2_32.33.pdf

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 19 Jan 2013 , 3:20am
post #15 of 20

AThe French Pastry School in Chicago does a course 'The Art of Cake' which covers baking cakes as well as an extensive decorating portion, but it's $17k!

Anyone got $17k to spare so I can go!

PinkCakeBox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkCakeBox Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 1:13am
post #16 of 20

It's amazing how many sources there are now for learning from free online tutorials on Youtube to paid options like Craftsy or individual instructor lead cake classes  With all the options now available, I wonder if I would have still gone the traditional culinary school route like I did 8 years ago. 

For me, hands down the most valuable experience was my internship.  To k8memphis's point, practice is important, and the internship afforded me that opportunity.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 11:31pm
post #17 of 20

AWho did you intern with?

PinkCakeBox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkCakeBox Posted 26 Jan 2013 , 2:47pm
post #18 of 20

BrandisBaked - Ron Ben-Israel Cakes

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jan 2013 , 2:54pm
post #19 of 20

PCB--

wow an internship with rbi gave you worlds and entire planetary systems including far out galaxies beyond the opportunity to practice

and that's awesome and great and wonderful for you

but your internship was a multi zillion dollar winning lottery ticket

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 27 Jan 2013 , 4:35am
post #20 of 20

AWow!!! What an amazing opportunity. Congrats on that, and your accomplishments since. :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%